Lt. Commander
Hey there everyone!

So we’ve gotten a LOT of feedback on the new Advisory Council – some good, and some bad. Well, now that we’ve gotten a good idea of your support, and more importantly your concerns on this council, we wanted to let you know we’re getting ready to hammer out some of the specifics on how this whole thing will work.

First of all – “Advisory Council” is a somewhat misleading name, considering the purpose of this organization. We’re strongly considering renaming this group to more clearly indicate their purpose. Right now we’re planning on posting a list of alternate names (many of which were thought up by the community) for you all to decide upon.

Secondly – we can completely understand your concern over a lack of representation in the council. We’re looking at multiple different ways to calm those fears, including but not limited to some sort of election or nomination system that any user could participate in. The current idea is to have quite a few different “slots,” and to rotate new members into and out of those slots every few weeks. We’ll be posting a list of candidates for user selection soon, most likely via some sort of poll.

Finally – in a word, transparency; all interactions between Cryptic, Atari, and the Council will be made publicly available. This includes email discussions, phone conferences, and all our other interactions.

Of course, we still have a bit to finalize, so please be patient while we work this whole thing out. This is all potentially subject to change, but we wanted to let you all know our plan, because we need to make sure we’re all on the same page here. This isn’t about trying to find a way to make you guys a part of this. You ARE a part of this already. This is about figuring out a system that everyone can be satisfied with.

We should have more details for you either tomorrow or Friday as we finalize some of the changes and roll them out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds good. Keep us posted... I know a lot of people care a lot about this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
You guys have handled this so badly the well is already full of poison. Better to back away than to keep going forward. You might fall in. There is poison down there after all...

If this had been your STARTING position, instead of the one you have been forced into after much resistance, bans, warnings, etc handed down for people who dare object, etc, none of this would have happened.

Alpha classes in MMO's have been proven a failure. So has creating "Alpha Customers". That is what councils are.

Put up a poll. Let us decide if we want this or not.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I appreciate the information and for keeping us in the loop on how this is developing on your end and that you've made it clear you're listening to our feedback here on the forums...both those who would still like to see something like this implemented and those like myself who, I will admit, think this is a bad idea (but I am only one voice in a community of thousands and I know this).

What strikes me about the new information here is that it seems like the purpose of the group is changing/has changed? Since it was said time and time again by Cryptic team members that this was supposed to be about going beyond the forums and not replacing it, many of us objected to having active forum members on the "Council". But now it seems that you intend to make several spots available specifically to forum members? It's all very confusing...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
You guys have handled this so badly the well is already full of poison. Better to back away than to keep going forward. You might fall in. There is poison down there after all...

If this had been your STARTING position, instead of the one you have been forced into after much resistance, bans, warnings, etc handed down for people who dare object, etc, none of this would have happened.

Alpha classes in MMO's have been proven a failure. So has creating "Alpha Customers". That is what councils are.

Put up a poll. Let us decide if we want this or not.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
Hehe, how are you supposed to achieve "Alpha" status if they cycle members every few weeks as Phoxe stated?

Nice changes and much clearer than it was before. I am still wondering how you are intending to parse the data and put it into a usable form though.

By the way, I love the avatar Phoxe, that "deer in the headlights" look suits.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Cheers!
04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Great work Phoxe, great post, clear, precise, to the point and most importantly, your proving that Cryptic is listening once again, while keeping us all updated with the very much appreciated information.

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the update.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Cool, it's a start
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Sweet, thank you...

sorry you were forced into micromanaging and damage control on what should have been a slam dunk for PR and STO as a whole. Keep it up, Cryptic, at least some people here appreciate how hard you all try.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe

We should have more details for you either tomorrow or Friday as we finalize some of the changes and roll them out.
No... not on Friday. Better save it until Monday so you can respond to any storms that might brew.