Lt. Commander
# 21
04-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
in reality i would destroy it for being far too dangerous

but probably around 20 AD and see if jesus was a real person
im not religious in any way but id like to know if he really did exist
yes he really existed, there roman birth certificates and one for when they executed him via cruscification and everything, the romans kept very good records about who was in their empire and who they killed ect ect.

if you google it you can find out it was a politcal prisoner execution because they found him to be a trouble maker.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-08-2010, 06:15 AM
I'd be afraid to change anything....so I'd do my best not to be seen...and have as little impact on the timeline as possible....past or future...

BUT...there are several things I've always wanted to know.

Big Bang...was it really how the Universe started?

Easter Island...those big giant heads just fascinate me...How were they moved into place?

Atlantis...Judging by the approximate times you can get from various stories...was it real?

Custer's Last Stand...I'd try to video tape it.

The Colony of Roanoke...What really happened there during that winter? Where'd everyone go? I bet they were all abducted by aliens...and the rest were just assimilated by the local natives.

The Great Pyramid and The Sphinx....would love to watch them being built....

However...If I must interact...I'd love to learn how to speak and read ancient Egyptian....and Mayan....Just so I can have the chance at telling those eggheads they were wrong about some translations.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Very hard for me to choose, I am a historian.

For family purposes:
The Battle of Champion Hill, the Siege of Vicksburg, and the Battle of Chattanooga, because those were events my great-great-grandfather and his brother were at, both with the 36th GA Inf. Reg., Co. A.

I would go to Attu Island in the Aleutian chain, to see what my grandfather had to go through when the Japanese tried to take the island from the Army Corps of Engineers.

I would love to be there for the 3 tours my dad served with the 11 ACR in Vietnam, just to see what he went through. He never talked about this (understandable), and I have so many questions I wish he could have answered when he was still alive.

For my purposes...
I would love to go to Anglo-Saxon England, to observe how they lived, worked, etc.
I would love to visit Aachen during its heyday under Charlemagne.
I would love to be there when William the ******* invaded, then proceeded to set up a new Norman elite.
and the list is endless with regards to this... meet Dante, DaVinci, Luther, Calvin, Saladin, just to name a few. Be there as a fly on the wall for all the Crusades, even the ones on the European continent.

In other words, once I left for my trip...I probably would not come back because there is just so much I wish I could see, experience, and do.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
I'd go to April 20th, 1889 to kill a newborn baby in Austria.

And I'm not just saying that for shock value. It's what I'd actually do.
We have a winner!

The Godwin's Law award goes to Stuck - and only 11 posts in!

Back on subject, I'd go back to around 1975 ish and warn Delorean that the DMC-12 would be great in a movie and not so great elsewhere!
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Nigh****ch
We have a winner!

The Godwin's Law award goes to Stuck - and only 11 posts in!

Back on subject, I'd go back to around 1975 ish and warn Delorean that the DMC-12 would be great in a movie and not so great elsewhere!
Godwin's Law? But I didn't make a comparison at all...
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Godwin's Law? But I didn't make a comparison at all...
I know - just a reference. That is why the post was kind of tongue in cheek - just as flippant as the 'law'.

Was not sure anyone would even get the reference as the 'law' is somewhat obscure.

I saw a revision of the 'law' somewhere that included references - though I do not reacll where.

Though I see how my post may have caused offence, that was not my intent. Sometimes I'm a little to acerbic or (jovially) sarcastic for my own good!
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherguy
From amuch longer list:

Egypt - just long enough to get one photo of the Great Pyramid under construction to settle the whole interior ramp/exterior ramp thing

Stonehenge - just long enough to see how they actually raised the capstones

China - see Qin Shi Huangdi's tomb before they sealed it, but without the whole dying part

I'd also like to see the following places at their height: Harappa, Babylon, Memphis (Egypt), Alexandria, Carthage, Kumbi Saleh, Gao, Great Zimbabwe, Angor Wat, Palenque, Teotihuacan, Chaco Canyon...

Never mind - there is no end to this list
These are all places i'd love to go too!
I'd spend a great deal of time in the Han Dynasty.
I'd be kicking it with Lu Bu! we are both awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericajoanne View Post
The 20's! I would love to be a flapper.
This is a fantastic idea! You'd look hot in feathered outfits!

If i had a time machine....
-I'd go back and make sure i never met any of the people i've ever loved. they have all hurt me.
-I'd also invest in small companies like google, and amazon...and microsoft.
-Id bring penicillin back to alexander the great and see what would have happened to the world had he NOT died of the syph.
-I'd have also stopped the templars
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Nigh****ch
I know - just a reference. That is why the post was kind of tongue in cheek - just as flippant as the 'law'.

Was not sure anyone would even get the reference as the 'law' is somewhat obscure.

I saw a revision of the 'law' somewhere that included references - though I do not reacll where.

Though I see how my post may have caused offence, that was not my intent. Sometimes I'm a little to acerbic or (jovially) sarcastic for my own good!
Oh, I realized you were joking and wasn't offended. (And even if you weren't joking I wouldn't have been offended.) The Internet is a tough place, and thick skin is a necessity.

After giving it more thought, I'm not sure I'd go after him as an infant, though. I figured that would be the easiest time to attempt it, as his mother would be exhausted and I'd only have to get past his father. But I'd forgotten about his time in prison... and I think that would be much easier to pull off.

I also thought my answer was a bit too selfless.... so I might stop by 1955 to tell my grandfather to invest every spare nickel in McDonald's stock...
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
This presents an interesting idea. If you have the time machine and can make changes that you might actually be able to notice and then even reverse...
I would go back in time and convince NBC not to pick up Star Trek at all. Just to see what we might all be playing now.
Would we all be playing "Adam-12 Online"?
I admit to the morbid thought that I would go back in time and convince some of my student's parent of the need for birth control?
Roswell, NM. Just to know...

Texas school book depository...same reason
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
I'd go to April 20th, 1889 to kill a newborn baby in Austria.

And I'm not just saying that for shock value. It's what I'd actually do.
You need to read this. And if try to put your plan in motion, SilverFox316 will somehow stop you.

I would go back to the Age of Dinosaurs, kill them all, take pictures of me doing it, come back, present my findings to the scientific community, and then become known as the Bane of Dinosaurs.