Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 please help!
04-08-2010, 02:33 AM
I realize there have been similar post but my situation is a bit differnt(at least i think, I am not computer smart). I installed sto about 3 or 4 days ago. i havent played it much yet but i have noticed poor graphic quality and low frame rate with the graphic options turned all the way up. i have no problems running other newer games with the graphics all the way up. also my processor runs 80%-%100 while the game is running, that too does not happen in other games. I checked the nvidia website to see if i had the lastest driver for my graphics card(nvidia geforce gtx 260m cuda 1gb). first i chose the option to let the website scan my computer to see if i have the lastest driver, it said i did(195.62). i also did a manual search and found that the lastest driver was 197.16. should i update to that version? is that all my problem is?

Asus G72 (laptop)
intel core 2 duo p8700
6gb ddr3 ram
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal07
I realize there have been similar post but my situation is a bit differnt(at least i think, I am not computer smart). I installed sto about 3 or 4 days ago. i havent played it much yet but i have noticed poor graphic quality and low frame rate with the graphic options turned all the way up. i have no problems running other newer games with the graphics all the way up. also my processor runs 80%-%100 while the game is running, that too does not happen in other games. I checked the nvidia website to see if i had the lastest driver for my graphics card(nvidia geforce gtx 260m cuda 1gb). first i chose the option to let the website scan my computer to see if i have the lastest driver, it said i did(195.62). i also did a manual search and found that the lastest driver was 197.16. should i update to that version? is that all my problem is?

Asus G72 (laptop)
intel core 2 duo p8700
6gb ddr3 ram
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Try updating if it'll let you for the drivers you HAVE, if that doesnt do it....you may wanna drop some of the graphical settings and see if that improves anything. Process of elimination my friend. Start there and see what happens.

Theres more you can do, but ultimately it resides in the stuff you have for hardware that determines whether it will be completely compatiable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Try updating if it'll let you for the drivers you HAVE, if that doesnt do it....you may wanna drop some of the graphical settings and see if that improves anything. Process of elimination my friend. Start there and see what happens.

Theres more you can do, but ultimately it resides in the stuff you have for hardware that determines whether it will be completely compatiable.
Ok i am dowloading the 197.16 version now. What do mean if will let me? and should i uninstal the old driver first or will it do that its self?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal07
Ok i am dowloading the 197.16 version now. What do mean if will let me? and should i uninstal the old driver first or will it do that its self?
Should just update the exsisting driver to a newer format...and by if it'll let you I mean sometimes people inadvertantly download drivers they don't need. usually Invida will tell you if you do or not.

Again play with the graph settings and turn off a few things and see if that improves the play...then go from there. If it does......your card aint strong enough to carry through the whole program without laggin..then again the STO server does that enough on its own. That is something else to consider.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
turn anti-aliasing down also.

Having that maxed, with max resolutions and all else maxed can drain even a very high end system. And note, you are playing a game online, more people near you, the laggier it can get based on your internet connection or the servers current loadout.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 PM.