Lt. Commander
With upcoming balance changes aiming to make power level management more important than before, I'd like to propose that the ship power management system should also get a few tune-ups.

One good place would be adding additional power preset options - there are currently four subsystems to split power between (weapons, shields, engines, auxiliary) but only enough presets for three of them plus "balanced". Essentially, you can't even have one preset for each subsystem plus one general-purpose setting.

I know you can customize the presets. However, there need to be MORE preset slots so players can at least have one setting for each system on maximum (max weap, max shield, max eng, max aux) PLUS one balanced preset - five in total. More would be better, as there are definitely times when an "offensive balanced" configuration might be desirable, as well as "defensive balanced", and many others.

Finally, I think that for the benefit of players who have not yet mastered the art of power switching, there should be default keybinds for at least the first few presets - I recommend F9 through F12 and their alt/ctrl variants, with the current "reconfigure UI" action being unbound by default.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Personally, I wish I could have 8 presets (2 per power subsystem).

But, players are already complaining about micro-management vs. macro-management, complexity vs. simplicity. The UI might become unwieldy, unless there were a way to hide the extra preset buttons, like a fold-out or cut-away (similar to existing view options, to switch between views 1, 2, and 3).
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Personally, I wish I could have 8 presets (2 per power subsystem).

But, players are already complaining about micro-management vs. macro-management, complexity vs. simplicity. The UI might become unwieldy, unless there were a way to hide the extra preset buttons, like a fold-out or cut-away (similar to existing view options, to switch between views 1, 2, and 3).
It could be as simple as adding an extra row of preset buttons above the current ones in View Mode 3 (or 4, if they felt like adding an extra one).