Lt. Commander
# 21
04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlane
Just to clarify I am only reporting on what I saw on the official X-Fire website. If cryptic wanted to they could put their official numbers on to rebuff the x-fire figures below.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massi...player_online/

I dont have any other data to go on.
What exactly is that data showing?
Lets see WOW ranked #1!... click on it.. and WOOOOO Xfire users player per day 49

40-freaking-9!

Click on STO... (rank #250)... Xfire players per day... 190...

So that makes a lot of sense...

Wait the rankings aren't like golf?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Those WOW players play 266 hours per day! ZOMG they're gonna need medical attention, stat!
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksided View Post
X-Fire rankings are interesting, but I am not sure what it means - if anything. X-Fire is typically used only by the hard core gaming community as a measurement for activity within a specific game. It doesn't reflect trends of anything other than X-Fire users, which have proven time and time again to not accurately reflect a good sample of gamers in ANY game.

So the hard core gaming guilds are moving on? Shocking, they do that a lot. They are the flavor of the month types and few have any longevity in any game - and NEVER have. Those guilds grow and claim fame by recruiting new people thus increasing their variety of experience in games, not actual loyalty to any specific games.

There is only one thing I think the X-Fire ranking says about STO - if there was momentum at launch it has since faded. That actually means little in MMOs. I don't think the longevity of any game can be determined in the first 6 months, much less the first two.
With the way XFire is working currently with STO, it may still be registering people playing that haven't logged in for a week or so. The statistics are meaningless since I have been playing 24/7 for just over a week.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGratis View Post
What exactly is that data showing?
Lets see WOW ranked #1!... click on it.. and WOOOOO Xfire users player per day 49

40-freaking-9!

Click on STO... (rank #250)... Xfire players per day... 190...

So that makes a lot of sense...

Wait the rankings aren't like golf?
Exactly. X-fire is a broken system (thought everyone already knew that) and is in no way any indicator of a game's popularity, success, or future.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
i dont use xfire
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabol View Post
Exactly. X-fire is a broken system (thought everyone already knew that) and is in no way any indicator of a game's popularity, success, or future.
After all if this were true, X-Fire would be predicting its own demise. Users of it have dropped substantially. :p
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-08-2010, 02:11 PM
wut dis x fire u talk about? Me never herd o it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
I dont have any other data to go on.
It's typically not the best idea to trust a third-party, opt-in source to divine user numbers. I believe there's some technically wonky stuff between the way Xfire and STO interface with each other, as well.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Rekhan,

Do you have up to date official numbers for us then, so we can put the X-fire to bed once and for all?

How many active subs currently and how much in game time have the logged each day for the last month?

Would be good to get the real numbers from Cryptic compared to what the X-fire graphs and ranks are showing.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Hi Rekhan,

Do you have up to date official numbers for us then, so we can put the X-fire to bed once and for all?

How many active subs currently and how much in game time have the logged each day for the last month?

Would be good to get the real numbers from Cryptic compared to what the X-fire graphs and ranks are showing.
Even if I had exact numbers, they're not something we're making public right now. Best I can do: X-fire's numbers are way off.