Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Starship Command
04-08-2010, 06:42 PM
My opinion / suggestion:

Once upon a time from a subject that must not be named. We were told that we would be able to enjoy all that goodness that the fleet of ships could offer. In this subject that must not be named if a captain needed to fly another ship he and his officers would simply beam over to the said ship and all would be right in the gallaxy.

I propose that we remove the indavidual ship skills and continue with starship command 1,2,3,4, etc. The same ammount of points are spent but you can then fly whatever ship you would like to without gimping yourself.

It should'nt make a diffrence if you order your helmsman to go to warp seven just because you are not on the cruiser you normally fly. Or you tell your tactical officer to raise shields because you are standing on a science ship. The same effect should happen no mater what ship you are standing on.

Keep the rest of the diffrences as they are now (Wepons, shields, hull, etc). But let us enjoy the rest of the ships starfleet has to offer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Pay for a respec if you want to do that, Lifer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-09-2010, 02:39 PM
up to several times a night every night? No thanks. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerb333 View Post
It should'nt make a diffrence if you order your helmsman to go to warp seven just because you are not on the cruiser you normally fly. Or you tell your tactical officer to raise shields because you are standing on a science ship. The same effect should happen no mater what ship you are standing on.

Keep the rest of the diffrences as they are now (Wepons, shields, hull, etc). But let us enjoy the rest of the ships starfleet has to offer.
Your arguement is that Picard and Kirk could just sit down in the chair of the Defiant and find it exactly the same as their last command?

Uh no.

You want your captain to be able to command all types of ships equally?
Fine. Put no points in any ship type spec...

Personally I only put points in Basic all science ships and some in to Recon science...
My captain wanted to fly science ships and knew that someday (when he was an admiral) he would have his pick of ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Your arguement is that Picard and Kirk could just sit down in the chair of the Defiant and find it exactly the same as their last command?



Of course not. I would love to see kirk jump in a t2 escort and hull tank a klingon battle cruiser. He would last all of about 2 seconds maybe. Thats why I stated leave everything else as is. just cause kirk steped on a t2 escort it should'nt get 30k in hull points.

To me it is the only thing I miss from jacks speech about being able to jump from one ship to another. It's just for the fun of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerb333 View Post
Your arguement is that Picard and Kirk could just sit down in the chair of the Defiant and find it exactly the same as their last command?
All those command skills are highly illogical.

Imagine Picard commanding the Defiant.

Then replace him with Sisko.

All of the sudden the hullplating gets better and the turnrate goes up.. Sure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpants View Post
All those command skills are highly illogical.

Imagine Picard commanding the Defiant.

Then replace him with Sisko.

All of the sudden the hullplating gets better and the turnrate goes up.. Sure.
Except that clearly it is he knows how to command the defiant better... he knows that left nacelle has a weak spot and transporter #3 is likely give out if the primary coupling takes a direct hit.. etc etc.

Spending points in a subspec means you learn the ship inside and out...

Scotty must have a full 9 ranks in Whatever Tier the Enterprise was (no bloody A, B, C or D)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-09-2010, 11:24 PM
agree with the OP.. all it does like this is make it so you are forced to only fly one ship unless you pay either a ridiculous 20k merit cost for a respec or give money to cryptic for some automated respec token which costs them absolutely nothing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
On this I partially agree. Kirk or Picard were good CAPTIANS and therefore it did not matter as much what ship they handled as it was the way they handled it. Rarely did Kirk or Picard take the helm or man the Phasers. Sure, they knew how to do those things but they had personel to handle their commands. Now, where I draw the line is giving Kirk a bunch of Science abilities or Picard fantastic Martial Arts moves.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
On this I partially agree. Kirk or Picard were good CAPTIANS and therefore it did not matter as much what ship they handled as it was the way they handled it. Rarely did Kirk or Picard take the helm or man the Phasers. Sure, they knew how to do those things but they had personel to handle their commands. Now, where I draw the line is giving Kirk a bunch of Science abilities or Picard fantastic Martial Arts moves.
picard isn't a bad fighter, he put up a good fight against some nausicaans until one pulled a knife and stabbed him in the heart
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.