Lt. Commander
# 1 Missions That Make Us Think
04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Something Vox of the House of Vox said made me realize something. The most important message we need to deliver to Cryptic is this: Star Trek fans like to think.

I was saying to dstahl, in the Engineering Forum just the other day, that more than anything else in this game, I want puzzles that will challenge me.

Every time I've said something along these lines, someone responds and says that MMOs are games that large numbers of people like to play; people of varying intelligence, and puzzles are therefore difficult to implement..

To that I say: Star Trek did not appeal to the lowest common denominator, and because of that, 40 years after it premiered, it still has a rabid fan following.

Jackalope has stated time and again that Cryptic's goal is to design games that are first and foremost fun. I have to say, right now, STO feels like a fancy Skinner's Box to me. That's not fun. That won't keep me coming back.

Give me something to do that will exercise my brain, not turn it to Jello.

Please, if you agree with me, sign this thread. Let's get Cryptic's attention on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Link to Thread...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=149208&page=3

Relecit is right.
And I think that is why so many people say it just doesn't feel trek. You got the look, the sound, and the techno names...but it requires no thought. We run from point A to point B in an easily predictable map with an easily predictable outcome...

I know giving multiple endings to one mission is complex, especially when you factor in a team environment but by and large Star Trek fans like to use their brains a bit more than the average Duke Nukem fan...

Try a few systems or ideas out which require you to put some thought into your actions, other than just reading text.

For example...in my suggested mission...finding the impostor would not only require you to read the text but pay attention to it. Read the words to see if he/she is trying to lead you to the wrong direction...or pick up on clues in what they say or how they appear that might give them away. I can't speak for everyone but if you are set on being a Niche game with a niche audience...do something niche and appeal to a different demographic than the standard "I put quarter here and pull lever, makes shinnies come out of loud box!" crowd...

Respectfully,
-Vox
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I find STO challenging. I find deciding what I am going to do instead of playing very challenging. I might go to the gym but then I see my guitar sitting there. I then strum my guitar as the log on screen sits there. A tug o'war ensues, at which point I grudgingly log in to poke around. Challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-08-2010, 08:36 PM
More iintelligent game play, stories and missions please.
Make it so Cryptic.

P.S. The pew pew gamers will hate it. I hope some sort of opt out is available for them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Ya know relict.... I dont normally agree with you, but I agree with you here.

95 % of the content in this game can be resolved with space bar spamming or just watching your away team roll around and fire weapons. Heck... you dont need to fight at all... just stand back and watch. I know... Ive done it.

I havent done all the content in the game... cause I stopped at RA2... cause I just didnt care anymore.

Anyway.. challenging and content that engages your mind would be welcome. Puzzles... something new... something that requires thought.

so for this thread I will

/sign
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Less pew pew, more IQ
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth2000 View Post
Ya know relict.... I dont normally agree with you, but I agree with you here.

95 % of the content in this game can be resolved with space bar spamming or just watching your away team roll around and fire weapons. Heck... you dont need to fight at all... just stand back and watch. I know... Ive done it.

I havent done all the content in the game... cause I stopped at RA2... cause I just didnt care anymore.

Anyway.. challenging and content that engages your mind would be welcome. Puzzles... something new... something that requires thought.

so for this thread I will

/sign
I was in a bad mood the other day. You might find that normally, I'm a pretty agreeable guy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Wander over to the subforum of Missions and Episodes and browse through the thread titled
"Revival: Minigames for Non-Combat Missions (with pictures!) " by ThomastheCat.

Put your thinking cap on and brainstorm up some ideas for "thinking missions" that might fit.

The mini-game puzzle mechanic will be key to a thinking mans' mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
Wander over to the subforum of Missions and Episodes and browse through the thread titled
"Revival: Minigames for Non-Combat Missions (with pictures!) " by ThomastheCat.

Put your thinking cap on and brainstorm up some ideas for "thinking missions" that might fit.

The mini-game puzzle mechanic will be key to a thinking mans' mission.
Couldn't agree more. I think it's important that we, as the customer base, come together to tell Cryptic that this is really the heart of the issue, so they understand the importance of the solutions we've offered.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2010, 10:51 PM
they need to impliment mini puzzle games like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQArgF4h8w

like oh crap the warp core is about to breach! we need to re-route power through the primary EPS grid to stabilize the plasma flow before the reactor overloads! and then you interact with a console and this window pops up with a puzzle like in the video that you need to complete within a time limit.