Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I've been looking around the website and stuff and I can't see any canon/storyline explanation as to why we are able to customise our uniforms so much, even to the point of walking around in a purple Starfleet tunic...

why are we able to break the mould so much, Im all for customising ur character and ship, but the uniforms should be just that, uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2010, 06:32 AM
If you don't feel like reading through all that here is the short version. During one year (I forget which one) Starfleet changed its requirements to allow officers to wear one of several types of uniforms. As for the color, that may just be an aspect of the MMO to allow customization (like any other MMO). However I don't believe this is considered canon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
From the 2nd poster's link...

Quote:
Another update by Starfleet is its uniforms. Starfleet completes a redesign of the uniform code, and by the end of the year all of its officers are wearing the new designs.
Coles_Notes_Canuck
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof1982
I've been looking around the website and stuff and I can't see any canon/storyline explanation as to why we are able to customise our uniforms so much, even to the point of walking around in a purple Starfleet tunic...

why are we able to break the mould so much, Im all for customising ur character and ship, but the uniforms should be just that, uniform.
Then keep your self and your Crew uniformed and join an RPing fleet that uses a uniform lol. I too like to keep the canon look of my uniform, but I don't expect everyone to do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I, too, like the immersion of wearing canon uniforms. That's why my character wears a WoK uniform and her crew wears the appropriately-colored STO uniforms (though it does take a bit of getting used to, what with my engineers wearing Tactical red). The only concession I made was to give the captain a blue (Medical) version of the WoK (with appropriate sea green turtleneck sweater) rather than the regular cardinal red one. ((Yes, yes. I *know* that McCoy wore the red one, but my character is *not* McCoy!))
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd really like my officers to wear canon uniforms as well. I have them all in TNG movie uniforms but I want to put them in these uniforms just so they are cannon.:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rly_Picard.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...2C_Endgame.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindy83
I'd really like my officers to wear canon uniforms as well. I have them all in TNG movie uniforms but I want to put them in these uniforms just so they are cannon.:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rly_Picard.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...2C_Endgame.jpg
Suggest it to Cryptic, they might start working on it if they already haven't.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof1982

All fluff reasons aside (anyone who really thinks a quasi-military organization would allow such wide variance in uniforms when the uniform is often the only way to tell who's where in the rank structure has NO experience with any real military), the real reason is simple:

One thing that Cryptic has in all it's MMOs is EXTENSIVE customization options, as they feel that it adds immersion. That can be true where they set the rules, OR in settings where you EXPECT non-standard to be the rule of the day. Examples of that are both CoX and CO, where flamboyant non-standard costumes are to be expected, given the superhero lineage. Also note that those are also the only MMOs that Cryptic has done prior to STO.

Problem is, Star Trek is a bit more rigidly defined than that, and the basic structure of Starfleet really doesn't permit for such customization. Same with the amout of kitbashing of ships we do...Starships are not made of lego, after all, and the different types differ internally enough that in RL, such a kitbash would in actuality require more work than just designing a new ship. For real-life examples, look at the designs of aircraft carriers pre-WWI (mostly converted freighters); as in: originally designed and partially buile AS a freighter, then having the insides EXTENSIVELY modified and a flight deck added. On the Japanese ones, you can see struts on the front to support the flight deck!) I'm not the only one who's commented on just how ill-conceived the DS9 kitbashes are in the series - in this game we basically have nothing but kitbashes.

Thank you Cryptic - in this case, this is where your extensive customization options BREAKS immersion, by removing a structure that should really be there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Another update by Starfleet is its uniforms. Starfleet completes a redesign of the uniform code, and by the end of the year all of its officers are wearing the new designs.

A uniform is a uniform. it says changed its designs not allowed each ship to customise its designs.

Changed Design signifies something like TOS Designs where retired and the WoK designs where Authorized.

you can see this happen in the movie generations as the crew of the enterprise are moving from Next gen tv uniforms to ds-9 unifroms

again a change in uniform design not a change in ships choosing custom uniforms.

I also agree that uniforms should be uniform. this is the one game i wished characters where more uniform in appearance. the kits and gear they wear you never see anything like that in Star Trek. Starfleet officers are always in unifrom with a phaser pistol or rifle tricoder and communicator.

in this game i see tons of people running around with all this gear on. they look like they should be in EVE and not here.