Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11 cannon
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
people this is star trek online, not starfleet online. the uniforms are the cannon and the same. they just have the ability to have colors changed. this is all throughout star trek lore and cannon. different officer wore different colors. You are the captain of a ship and dress codes are curtialed by the captain. as for ships yes they are lego blocks. thats how they where designed. you could modulate the ship to add or subtract things from them. thats cannon check out if you can captains log or even star trek next generation technical manual. give great insight into how star ship are made and the many modifications done to them. while i have a problem with some of the concepts parts cryptic designed. i see them as childish, unimaginative and just not even star fleet lore. I do fine that star trek ships could be built faster if constructed in parts. complain about the lack of designs and cheap like star trek ship parts, not the way you are able to put these parts together. that part atleast is correct.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
All fluff reasons aside (anyone who really thinks a quasi-military organization would allow such wide variance in uniforms when the uniform is often the only way to tell who's where in the rank structure has NO experience with any real military), the real reason is simple:

One thing that Cryptic has in all it's MMOs is EXTENSIVE customization options, as they feel that it adds immersion. That can be true where they set the rules, OR in settings where you EXPECT non-standard to be the rule of the day. Examples of that are both CoX and CO, where flamboyant non-standard costumes are to be expected, given the superhero lineage. Also note that those are also the only MMOs that Cryptic has done prior to STO.

Problem is, Star Trek is a bit more rigidly defined than that, and the basic structure of Starfleet really doesn't permit for such customization. Same with the amout of kitbashing of ships we do...Starships are not made of lego, after all, and the different types differ internally enough that in RL, such a kitbash would in actuality require more work than just designing a new ship. For real-life examples, look at the designs of aircraft carriers pre-WWI (mostly converted freighters); as in: originally designed and partially buile AS a freighter, then having the insides EXTENSIVELY modified and a flight deck added. On the Japanese ones, you can see struts on the front to support the flight deck!) I'm not the only one who's commented on just how ill-conceived the DS9 kitbashes are in the series - in this game we basically have nothing but kitbashes.

Thank you Cryptic - in this case, this is where your extensive customization options BREAKS immersion, by removing a structure that should really be there.
AMEN! 10 char
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindy83
I'd really like my officers to wear canon uniforms as well. I have them all in TNG movie uniforms but I want to put them in these uniforms just so they are cannon.:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rly_Picard.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...2C_Endgame.jpg
I remember that episode, Reg was wearing the pants old man style; they were nearly up to his armpits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
people this is star trek online, not starfleet online. the uniforms are the cannon and the same. they just have the ability to have colors changed. this is all throughout star trek lore and cannon. different officer wore different colors. You are the captain of a ship and dress codes are curtialed by the captain. as for ships yes they are lego blocks. thats how they where designed. you could modulate the ship to add or subtract things from them. thats cannon check out if you can captains log or even star trek next generation technical manual. give great insight into how star ship are made and the many modifications done to them. while i have a problem with some of the concepts parts cryptic designed. i see them as childish, unimaginative and just not even star fleet lore. I do fine that star trek ships could be built faster if constructed in parts. complain about the lack of designs and cheap like star trek ship parts, not the way you are able to put these parts together. that part atleast is correct.
first off the only time we see anything diffrent is an off duty relaxed uniform for kirk and picard.

Kirk

Picard

and Doctor McCoy's and Doctor Crushers Sickbay outfits

McCoy

Crusher (not a real good pick but it really was more of a smock over the uniform

the only one who was Starfleet who didnt wear a uniform was Troi and that was really because the shows producers where trying to show off her .... assets .. so to speak.

So just like the real military there are Dress uniforms, work Uniforms, and even some casual uniform items. the US Navy Use to allow Navy Ballcaps with your ships name on it instead of the official Dixie cup (or for chiefs and officers Kahki's cap).

the closest that Star Trek EVER came to allowing any command customization to uniforms was TOS where each command had its own breast insignia. However even here there was some uniformity. all insignia had to have the command star, sciences circles, Yomen 'Y', medical redcross or engineering swirl.

that however changed at the end of the 5 year mission in honor of the enterprise Starfleet adopted the enterpises Delta Shield configuration and command star.

colors however where still maintained to show what branch(or track) you where currently assigned to. Command gold, Support Red, Science Blue. Next gen switched command and support but it think that is because WoK jackets where red. or someone screwed up at paramount designing the uniforms who knows.

Uniforms are Uniforms. hence the word. to look the same
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
*text goes here*
Just to add a bit more examples for you.
Kirk wore many different tops.

And for the Picard era.
(vote yes for manskirts!)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16 merrits
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
your going to one era TNG but like i said the uniform code still remains the same, cloth is the same and designs are the same. only difference is color. please try not to confuse US millitary dress code for star trek dress code. one is real and one is fantasy for now lol. Again troi was able to where he attire due to captains descretion. explained in "Chain of Command" ep, but again star fleet allows for each captain to set dress code standard as long as its star fleet clothes in the standard. so all the star trek uniforms are correct in standards. your argument is pertaining to the choice of colors peolpe are able to use in their uniforms. that much came about due to the many star trek fleet and clans we have. everyone wants their fleet to be shown as different from the rest. we all have different fleets playing this game. hell I am mad they took away the ship insignia option.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
When I was in the U.S. Air Force, there was a regulation (Air Force Refulation 35-10) that stated what the uniform was to be compromised of. However, when I was stationed in Germany, I found that USAFE (United States Air Force Europe) had the authority to amend the 35-10 for personnel serving in Europe. To further complicate things, Base Commanders had even further discretion to make more amendments to 35-10. I don't know if those discretions are continued to this day, but 20 years ago they were in place.

When I started playing Star Trek Online, and found there was not a set uniform to use; it wasn't really out of the realm of possibilty or hard for me to believe.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof1982
I've been looking around the website and stuff and I can't see any canon/storyline explanation as to why we are able to customise our uniforms so much, even to the point of walking around in a purple Starfleet tunic...

why are we able to break the mould so much, Im all for customising ur character and ship, but the uniforms should be just that, uniform.
I know, I feel the same way. I walk around and honestly wish we were all in some kind of canon uniform. It does take away from the game a little for me. In the end though, this is a game and people like to have control of how their avatars look. While I'd like to see everybody in the same uniform, I can see why others would dislike it. Another thought is, what if Cryptic put us all in the same uniform but one of the ones they designed. That would have been a huge minus to me, I think I like one of their designs but not over any of the canon stuff.

I personally favor the TOS uniform from the Movies 2 - 6 and I like the ability to have my crew ware them. They're slightly modified in that I have the TNG pants and my engineers & science officers jackets are blue w/ the white collar and shoulder band. That said though, if I could, I'd probably also ware the later TNG uniform from the series. Sadly that one was used as a pawn to sell the collectors edition or whatever it was so I'll never have it.

Anyway, do what I do, just ignore the really hideous looking uniforms and tell your self that it's a game, not really Star Trek. Just has a Star Trek skin.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm getting drunk from all the whine.

The options are fine now as it is. See someone in a uniform different from yours? Well, gee, maybe they're in a different fleet. Yes, we're all in Star Fleet but I don't see any reason why different fleets could not have differently styled uniforms. There's no reason why each ship could not have it's own uniform style different from other ships in the same fleet. I also don't see any reason why different specialists on a ship could not have different uniforms. Looking at some of the shows and movies (so you know it's cannon) we see medical personnel in uniforms that are different from engineering personnel that are in uniforms different from security personnel that are in uniforms that are different from command officers. And I'm not only referring to differently colored jerseys.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Right from the game:

"In 2386, Starfleet updated its uniform code to allow officers to choose from several different uniforms."

As its been said, the only reason it is done like this in game is because players want customization for their characters and expect it in MMOs. However some people prefer standard uniforms so just make your characters and bridge crew have standard uniforms.

I will guarantee if they made an TV series based on the STO era the uniforms will be standard.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.