Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Right from the game:

"In 2386, Starfleet updated its uniform code to allow officers to choose from several different uniforms."

As its been said, the only reason it is done like this in game is because players want customization for their characters and expect it in MMOs. However some people prefer standard uniforms so just make your characters and bridge crew have standard uniforms.

I will guarantee if they made an TV series based on the STO era the uniforms will be standard.
Yeah I remember reading that.

@kristof1982; It is what it is mate, you know, you could put in a suggestion / request for a game option that puts all players in the uniform of your choosing. IE I could make everybody appear to have WoK uniforms if that's what I wanted on my screen, or you un-check the option and you see what players chose.

This would actually be a legit feature to sell in the C-Store... considering I hate that they have things like canon races and re-spec in there. This would be a game mod...
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Though I prefer a reasonably standard uniform appearance I don't let other people ruin my immersion. If you don't agree for immersion reasons than roleplay that out, if you don't care about roleplaying than immersion shouldn't be a big issue. I prefer options in games I play rather than choices made for me.

As far as Star Fleet I don't actually consider it a purely military organization, more of a police / exploration force, and if you look at a uniform from one district to another for police organizations the dress code can be vastly different.

I let my characters reactions to things like that improve the gameplay.

A quick "Wow, starfleet uniform regs have sure changed in the last hundred years." can improve my gameplay rather than detract from it.

As far as ship customization creating easily replaceable ship components is a reasonable design aspect. The customization of STO in that capacity is a little far fetched. Sure replace warp nacelles with a new more efficient model would be understandable but replacing entire hull and saucer sections is stretching the boundaries a little.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I personally have no problems with the way that uniforms are right now. As has been stated, there have been exceptions and variations throughout Trek canon. In TOS every ship had its own insignia, for instance. Kirk even wore a green tunic throughout the majority of the first season. Troi didn't wear a standard Starfleet uniform for most of TNG. The first season of TNG had men in skirts (something that I would love to see in STO, btw). I don't care for the new set of "standard" uniforms that Cryptic introduced and I don't use them. I much prefer to deck my captains and BOffs in "old-school" uniforms. There is nothing ruining my experience, but seeing "off-color" uniforms like PINK does ruin the immersion a bit. Not enough for me to QQ about, though. Starfleet is a QUASI-military organization. Uniform regulations can be more lax.

And for ships, those can be more easily explained IMO. Starfleet engineers come up with new ship designs all the time. Any ship with the NX prefix is a prototype ship. This includes the Defiant and 22nd century Enterprise. My main character's ship sports the NX prefix, and her biography shows it as a prototype ship.

And please, for the love of god, give Klingons more customizable options, both character-wise and ship-wise. It's pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-10-2010, 09:11 AM
My friend was watching me play a bout of space combat against some Remans. He asked if there was an option to allow the enemy ship to surrender since we're playing as part of Starfleet and all that. My response to that will be the same response to questions about uniforms in this game.
Quote:
"This isn't your daddy's Starfleet."
Call it new canon, call it non-canon. This is Star Trek Online. Not one of the movies, not one of the shows or books. It is its own piece of literature. Enjoy it, or not and cease the payments. If you want uniform uniforms, read your books, watch the shows and create uniforms from those references for your bridge.

For others they can change the colors, wear body armor and hell, make all their bridge officers look like orcs, elves, and gnomes from WoW (I'm not one that does, despite not being a Trekkie, I've got a bridge full of Vulcans, Humans, and Andorians, just the luck of the draw from the acquisitions). Thats their choice.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taemien
My friend was watching me play a bout of space combat against some Remans. He asked if there was an option to allow the enemy ship to surrender since we're playing as part of Starfleet and all that. My response to that will be the same response to questions about uniforms in this game.
Well if they wanted to surrender they'd stop firing now wouldn't they? Besides they are guilty as hell, if they weren't guilty they wouldn't be suspects now would they?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal1202 View Post
When I was in the U.S. Air Force, there was a regulation (Air Force Refulation 35-10) that stated what the uniform was to be compromised of. However, when I was stationed in Germany, I found that USAFE (United States Air Force Europe) had the authority to amend the 35-10 for personnel serving in Europe. To further complicate things, Base Commanders had even further discretion to make more amendments to 35-10. I don't know if those discretions are continued to this day, but 20 years ago they were in place.

When I started playing Star Trek Online, and found there was not a set uniform to use; it wasn't really out of the realm of possibilty or hard for me to believe.
When I was in the Air Force, they had the most relaxed uniform policy of all the armed forces. I could get away with wearing loafers on the flight line it was so relaxed.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow_Death View Post
When I was in the Air Force, they had the most relaxed uniform policy of all the armed forces. I could get away with wearing loafers on the flight line it was so relaxed.
The Airforce has a uniform policy? I thought they wore camo pants with black t-shirts (with various art on them) because they thought they looked cool.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
My favorite cavet with the AF uniform was wearing Cameo BDU's and a RED hat!?!

Thankfully, we are all wearing ABU's now (green/creame pixelated cameo with tiger stripes!), no colored hats anymore. Still an odd choice over desert cameo....
http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/..._ID/22917.html

And as far as Starfleets now lax approach for uniforms: "We WERE all one big happy fleet!"
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
All fluff reasons aside (anyone who really thinks a quasi-military organization would allow such wide variance in uniforms when the uniform is often the only way to tell who's where in the rank structure has NO experience with any real military), the real reason is simple:
Well my father was in the German air force and I have seen a lot of the military. Usually the only way to distinguish the rank is by looking at the shoulder patches.

The days where officers made themselves prime targets for snipers by wearing more fancy outfits that the rank and file members are a thing of the past.

Also modern military allows a wide variety of clothing items suitable for different occasions. Of course there are strict regulations which item may be combined with what, but the tendency is definitely towards more variety.

Also military units with very different clothing styles are not unheared of in the past - and in Europe they where the rule rather than the exception before the end of the middle ages. Well in fact strict uniform codes became the rule during the industrial revolution.

So military units worked without strict uniform codes for millenia, and they probably will in a few hundred years.

I do not say that it has to be that way, but outruling the possibility IMO goes a bit to far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Starships are not made of lego
Well, we have no idea how starships are made in a few hundred years. Kit bashing with vehicles is not unheared of, and in some places was quite successful.

One example is the American Sherman tank of ww2. There where lots of different variants with different main guns and even an amphibic version and - while the Sherman may not have been "the best" tank in ww2 (whatever that means) - it was probably the most versatile.

Bottom line: If you would have been born 200 years ago, could you have forseen how modern military and engineering works today? I certainly would have not. I have seen a few decades in my live and I am very careful if I should make a statement about what the world will be like in 20 years. IMO saying anything about a time 200 years in the future is far too speculative to make any definite statements.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
If you don't feel like reading through all that here is the short version. During one year (I forget which one) Starfleet changed its requirements to allow officers to wear one of several types of uniforms. As for the color, that may just be an aspect of the MMO to allow customization (like any other MMO). However I don't believe this is considered canon.
Its not canon I don't think like you say but in ST First Contact Pikard has a different uniform to everyone else.

Also in a few other TNG episodes a few Admirals and Captains all have different Uniforms on in the same Episode.

Also makes for good MMO customisation lol