Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
The reason I ask this is after another beating by Klingons I noticed something going on with the ships, including my own.

A Klingon battle ship getting shot by 4 Fed ships at one time and their shields are not going down for quite some time and once they do they only go down slowly. I have the best Mk X shields I can find and mine go down in seconds followed by me blowing up with mo torpedos fired. I used emergecy power to shields, Engineering team 2, and Reverse shields polarity 2 which seems to do nothing. I waited after blowing up and looked at other ships and saw the same thing. The klingons eat through the shields and then bow you up with no torpedos fired.

You see it ion the stats with the feds having maybe 10 kills in a good game and the Klingons having 20+ kills a game.

What are the Klingons doing with powers to enhance their shields that the feds arn't. Why is their such a difference?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakinator
The reason I ask this is after another beating by Klingons I noticed something going on with the ships, including my own.
In a word... no. They are not stronger, but I can understand why it might seem that way (I fight both sides).

Quote:
What are the Klingons doing with powers to enhance their shields that the feds arn't. Why is their such a difference?
Most Klingons level via PvP, thus they know every trick in the book because by the time they reach BG (that's 'Admiral' to you) they will have fought in a huge number of PvP matches... so they are using Reverse Shield Polarity... EPS... Science Team... etc. etc. to keep their shields up and, this is important, because they are more experienced than you, they are often doing it at just the right time and they know what works and what does not.

Most Feds level via PvE... Pretty much all Klingons level via PvP... and THAT is the real reason why Klingons dominate PvP. If you swapped the ships, the results would be much the same.

This is why you think their shields are stronger (the dirty little secret is that Birds of Prey are actually pretty damn fragile) because that Klingon player you are trying to kill is probably just a whole lot more experienced than you. Keep at it and that will change.

The trick is just fight more matches and you will find that in reality, between two experienced teams, it is a dice roll who wins.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
In a word... no. They are not stronger, but I can understand why it might seem that way (I fight both sides).



Most Klingons level via PvP, thus they know every trick in the book because by the time they reach BG (that's 'Admiral' to you) they will have fought in a huge number of PvP matches... so they are using Reverse Shield Polarity... EPS... Science Team... etc. etc. to keep their shields up and, this is important, because they are more experienced than you, they are often doing it at just the right time and they know what works and what does not.

Most Feds level via PvE... Pretty much all Klingons level via PvP... and THAT is the real reason why Klingons dominate PvP. If you swapped the ships, the results would be much the same.

This is why you think their shields are stronger (the dirty little secret is that Birds of Prey are actually pretty damn fragile) because that Klingon player you are trying to kill is probably just a whole lot more experienced than you. Keep at it and that will change.

The trick is just fight more matches and you will find that in reality, between two experienced teams, it is a dice roll who wins.
Dont forget about the extend and transfer shields ability. Us groups who PvP alot together always use these. It is basically like using a RSP 2, EPS 2, and Science Team 2 all at once for somebody plus it lasts a long time and gives a huge bonus to the person its used on. The downside to this is you have to work as a team which is a rareity for fed groups sadly. Even in alot of klink groups its sometimes rare, but escorts tend to not have this benefit of helping others. But, with a little give and take even a BoP pilot, such as myself, has limited abilities to help others.

Hope this is added help for you and others. And all fed shields of the same type and what not are alot stronger than our klinky shields. To put it in perspective, us klinks may have T5 shields, but our stats are like looking at T4 fed shields or a little lower to be honest.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah I do play both sides and I gobble up the feds no propblem as a klingon. I personally think the cannon does too much damage to the shield and hull than it should.

They gotta find a way to balance this. I did see how fragile the high level Bird of Prey was as he couldn't hurt my Assault Cruiser and then I blew him apart in seconds after I finished the ship I was shooting. But those moments are few and far between.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakinator

I did see how fragile the high level Bird of Prey was as he couldn't hurt my Assault Cruiser and then I blew him apart in seconds after I finished the ship I was shooting. But those moments are few and far between.
if this is the case, and you said cannons are too much, what would happen if you got your wish and cannons were reduced? If you can blow up a BOP after you dealt with another ship without taking damage then i would suggest that the ship is weak enough, it was the pilot who was poor in that case. In which case it would suggest that those that blow you up in seconds have a better build and a better understanding of pvp. If this is so how much would you need to nerf the better players ships to make it even for you to be able to compete with them?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakinator
Yeah I do play both sides and I gobble up the feds no propblem as a klingon. I personally think the cannon does too much damage to the shield and hull than it should.

They gotta find a way to balance this. I did see how fragile the high level Bird of Prey was as he couldn't hurt my Assault Cruiser and then I blew him apart in seconds after I finished the ship I was shooting. But those moments are few and far between.
I wouldn't limit it to cannons. I tend to think damage overall is too high, or, if not too high, too important. Of course in the end it comes down to bringing shields and hull down to 0, but the moment the best way is to deal the most damage in the shortest time. The option of dealing some damage over a much longer time does not exist, but that's the idea behind something like Cruisers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-01-2010, 07:20 AM
well... and: when youre in a fight with other ships time seems to stretch. maybe this is also a factor in "them shields are stronger..."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree with the others that have said its not the shields its the damage that cannons do.
I have a cruiser with tons of shield repair and RSP as well as science team, engineering team, hazzard emitters.
My cruiser is often killed in pvp in less then 3 or 4 seconds.

The last patch trashed the balance, cruisers have become weaker in pvp while bops and escorts are now the most powerful.
A tank is not a tank if it can be destroyed in 4 seconds by one bird of prey.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I have an R5 Tactical and I can puat up a decent fight on the Ground but the klingons have an edge but I can understand that.

But I have an Assault Cruiser that can't turn worth beans and I can live with that but the fact that the best equipment mony can buy amounts to tissue paper armor thats a bit much. I have to hit people with a lot of fire to take their shields down AND then I need High Yield torpedos to kill the ship all while not being able to turn.

Now on my Bird of Prey, I open fire with my Cannons and they will die quickly (I am not the same level) or it would be faster. It seems to me that the cannons do too much damage to both shield and hull whereas the feds do dmg to only one or the other not both. Now BoP have the advantage of manueverability and speed so they can get away. The battleships on the other hand are the problem as they are above the best ships the feds have in shielding and fire power.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
I agree with the others that have said its not the shields its the damage that cannons do.
I have a cruiser with tons of shield repair and RSP as well as science team, engineering team, hazzard emitters.
My cruiser is often killed in pvp in less then 3 or 4 seconds.

The last patch trashed the balance, cruisers have become weaker in pvp while bops and escorts are now the most powerful.
A tank is not a tank if it can be destroyed in 4 seconds by one bird of prey.
Welcome to STO Arcade - Cryptic's New Flawed Vision
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 PM.