Lt. Commander
# 71
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
It is possible to chalk it up to certain species not expressing a notable degree of sexual dimorphism, or being asexual. There's a certain sense to it as those races have reptilian traits, and reptiles often do not display a lot of sexual dimorphism.

If this is the angle the designers want to work it would be best to remove gender reference and remove that step from those races' character creation, or relabel it as "No Gender." Of course, I'm sure CBS would have to sign-off on that decision.

Though, I could do with female Gorn having mammalian traits, seeing as they traditionally have multifaceted eyes -- may as well throw in another example of how alien they are to have evolved such an unearthly combination of features.
Lt. Commander
# 72
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM
"No Gender" would open a new can of issues. What uniform options would you give them? Male or female? What body? Be sure if there's a re-name from Gorn - male to Gorn - no gender, you'll get tons of complaints that its still the male body and uniform options and still no choice to customize anything else. Simply saying reptilians have no clear genders doesn't make it easier, it just rewords the basic issue: lack of customization and selection.
Lt. Commander
# 73
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I hate it how KDF females are completely broken.
Unless you choose alien female you cant even remove the ugly collar.

As a friendly note to Cryptic:

1) The collar should not be standard and fixed on females, agreed.

2) Also given how much skin a Klingon faction female shows I find it kind of odd that we can only design FACIAL skin, the rest of the body is always solid color, if I design a skin with stripes 3 then it should also carry to the rest of the body, please, please, please. Or give us an option for a body skin texture.

3) And as for the more options, simply copy-paste off-duty clothes to Klingon faction. It should be fairly simple, I use the same alien "Avatar" design on both sides, so I know that the texturing part works.

4) As a next step, just give us the already available clothes in game, like others above mentioned, I do know f.e. that Orion females typical clothes do work even with emotes and all (just check DS9 for that).

5) And could we get a second option for feet ?? Running around in underwear with warrior boots looks, ehm, kinda .... strange. (just read the Admin notice, I hope that our advocate can implement something).

Well, those are my 2 cents on this topic anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 74
04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_IndigoFyre
While I 100% agree that there should be female gorn/Nausican/lethian you have to understand that unlike CO where we own the property and can make stuff up at the end of the day CBS still owns STO and gets to call the shots.

Now I am not a programmer or a marketing guy so I don't know exactly what kind of hoops we had to jump through but I do know that inventing female tellerites was not fast or easy. We had to keep redesigning them until CBS was happy with it, and then we were able to put them in.

Also it is true that the "ugly" female races are the least played in STO. So while I would love to have them (says the GM who doesn't make stuff ) we would be jumping through a lot of hoops to invent 3 new models that very few people (if any) would actually use.

Now I can't say it will never happen (I hope we get them in some day) but there is no ETA on it.

And for the record Kestral (One of the writers) is a big advocate for more shoes. So there is someone who is on your side
Not sure what you refer to by this Indigo.. there are female Gorn (not sure about the other two, but Nausicans I am pretty certain.. should be easy to imagine what they look like) in canon. Not to mention they are more active in the militaryaspects of their society than the men are.
Lt. Commander
# 75
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
Not sure what you refer to by this Indigo.. there are female Gorn (not sure about the other two, but Nausicans I am pretty certain.. should be easy to imagine what they look like) in canon. Not to mention they are more active in the militaryaspects of their society than the men are.
In canon? I don't recall any. Citation?
Lt. Commander
# 76
04-26-2010, 02:28 AM
There were no female Nausicaans in canon, no.
Lt. Commander
# 77
04-27-2010, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Gorn are a cold-blooded reptilian species with green, leathery skin and an average height of approximately 2 meters. They tend to be stronger than most humanoids. Their ears are simple holes on the sides of their skulls. Their mouths boast an impressive array of sharp, carnivorous teeth, and their hands and feet have vicious claws. They have a size and bite radius similar to the now-extinct velociraptors of Earth. Like most cold-blooded lifeforms, the Gorn are known to prefer warm temperatures. (ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II".)

An average Gorn male weighs about 215 kilograms. Their leathery hides is naturally strong which serves as natural armor. Their physical strength is even greater then what their appearance suggests as they possess a great deal of muscle mass. Though this is impressive among the males, the female Gorns are even fearsome a they can average around 2.5 meters high and typically are 250 kilograms. As such, the females tend to be the stronger gender among the Gorn race. Due to this, it is not uncommon to see a large number of female marines and officers within the Gorn military.

Due to their high degree of muscle, the Gorn tend not to be as dexteous as Humans, however, this did not mean they were slow witted. (TOS video game: Starfleet Command II) In addition, they were also a cold blooded species which meant that they were not picked up on infrared scopes. (TOS novel: Catalyst of Sorrows)
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Gorn

Though it is listed under a non-canon site, it is the only foray into the Gorn as a species.
Lt. Commander
# 78
04-27-2010, 06:11 AM
You can't really cite non-canon material in support of female Gorn, because this game is itself more canonical than any non-canon story...
Lt. Commander
# 79
04-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Wouldn't female Gorn look exactly the same as males?

They're lizards after all.
Lt. Commander
# 80
04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserhawk View Post
Wouldn't female Gorn look exactly the same as male?

They're lizards after all.
Female Gorn are larger than males Gorn.