Lt. Commander
# 1 post processing/ shadows
04-12-2010, 04:02 AM
how come in order for me not to crash in ground missions i have to turn post processing and also shadows off?

i'm running xfire 2x 1gb 4850s with 10.3 ati drivers. if i have the options enabled i crash every 5 mins on ground, followed by a error msg and a dump to desktop. also since about 2 days ago, i don't get the submit crash report either.

anyone else has this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2010, 04:28 AM
This is why! Clicky! :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2010, 05:16 AM
ah yeah silly me, some fanboi whos got no idea about gfxs, take your badge somewhere else and u do know even nvidia cards have this problem.

i've contacted ati and apprantly it isn't there drivers, has this seems to be a sto problem and hasn't been seen in other games
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Silly man who cant take a joke.

Seems more an ATI issue to me, ive played with two very different Nvida cards and have not had any such problems of which you describe.
But its very possible this is an ATI-STO compatibility issue since STO is engineered around Nvida hardware and drivers.
I have used both Nvidia and ATI cards over the years, and ive had some serious graphics problems on Nvidia cards or would outright not run at all, just as i have had games that did not work properly on ATI cards.
Nvidia and ATI drivers are ultimatley very different and have different ways of doing things, and thats a well known fact.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I too have seen this game run on two Nvidia cards.

9600 GT 512MB DDR2

250 GTS 1 GIG DDR3

both with post processing/shadows enabled. No crashes, no overheating, no error/problem/glitch at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius39
I too have seen this game run on two Nvidia cards.

9600 GT 512MB DDR2

250 GTS 1 GIG DDR3

both with post processing/shadows enabled. No crashes, no overheating, no error/problem/glitch at all.
problem is i can enable them and don't crash, in space, when i hit ground tho, its normally within 5 mins i'm looking at my desktop again. (again ATi support have not seen this issue with any other game at the moment, and therefore say it isn't there drivers, or there xfire profiles (sto doesn't have one anyways) )

overheating i think is just a general problem of cooling, tho i don't overheat and i'd be shocked if anyone using a nvidia card was running this game cooler than ati (air cooling). nvidia always run cards with a bigger temp (look at the new gen of cards for a example)

[qoute]
Seems more an ATI issue to me, ive played with two very different Nvida cards and have not had any such problems of which you describe.
But its very possible this is an ATI-STO compatibility issue since STO is engineered around Nvida hardware and drivers. [/qoute]

Dude your soo wrong. Sto isn't engineered around nvidia hardware or drivers. have u any idea how stupid that sounds. games are built around direct X and sometimes extra tech by gfx companys, but to say its engineered for nvidia is wrong and misleading.

Now back to the thread. ATI cards are having problems with post processing and shadows it makes ground missions crash to desktop and game closes. IT DOESN't cause a BSOD (which would indicate overheating or hardware) i can have options enabled in space without any crashing. i've had the laucher do a scan of files all seem ok.
i've removed drivers and installed some older ones and no improvement.
I've checked over games and had no problems.
i've contacted ati who say there unaware of this bug affecting other games ( which kinda blames sto )
This has started since the new patch.

I'm happy to leave the options turned off however that should't have to be.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Have you considered that graphics cards alone do not provide the full power towards certain graphical settings, whilst they supply the most yes, CPU, Ram and dedicated memory acting as support ram (forgot correct term but you can boost graphics processing with ram from your hardrive dedicated to it, as well as a lot dedicated to general system) all play a part in graphics.

Perhaps it is not your graphics card at all.

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Engineered might be a bit strong of a term, but definatley optimized and designed around Nvidia, which is evident every time you load the launcher.
DirectX is the API, but it needs hardware and drivers to be able to run the commands and its ultimatley the hardware and drivers that the game must be compatible with.

You should also know that DirectX is also "only" an API, and not all games are built on DirectX.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I use a GTX 280 and i've had to disable post p and shadows just to stop graphic glitches.
When I turn these on and off you can see how it fixes the messed up areas of screen,but I dont get BSOD's,thankfully.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
It's not just an ATI problem as my friend's nvidia cards had pretty bad stuttering back before and during release. As do quite a few other people if you'll read around. Shared memory only works on Vista and above and doesn't really do all that much for most games, and OpenGL's not really used for anything these days unless you want it to play on a Mac.

As for the crashing, I'm assuming you've tried playing without dynamic lighting? Though there are some others with problems post processing problems. Personally haven't had any problems with everything cept dynamic lighting maxed, though my card is tol from a few generations back.