Lt. Commander
# 1 Could we have war already?
08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Federation ships now have cloaking devices and since the beginning of the game Federation ships have pretty freely entered deep into Romulan space. I've read the storyline history and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have not seen any hints that a state of war would exist between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire.

So to make trespassing and disregarding the treaty of Algeron to fit the canon at some level, could there at least be a declaration of war that makes the treaty null and void?

Or is the current situation an indication that the Federation sees the Romulan Empire as weakened power and therefore have decided that constant and encouraged border crossings are more than acceptable. After seeing that the Romulans haven't declared war after hundreds of Federation ships crossing the Neutral Zone without the permission of the Romulans, Federation decided to increase the stakes and show to everyone that the Federation doesn't really care about treaties and developed cloaking devices and installed them to Federation ships.

Could we finally have the Romulan Star Empire declaring war against the Federation for violating not only the Neutral Zone on multiple occasions, but also the Treaty of Algeron for developing cloaking technology? I'd also love to see other races condeming the Federation for its disregard of quite active treaties.

Furhermore...let's have a civil war in the Federation to have an excuse for Fed vs Fed pvp-content. Sure it is non-canon, but I doubt Cryptic really cares.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2010, 08:21 AM
according to the game, the Romulan Star Empire is splintered... so who exactly is declaring war against who and who is enforcing the treaty? Maybe more answers will come with the Romulans as a playable faction...
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Does it really matter if the Romulan Star Empire has splintered? Couldn't Sela do something?

Disregarding peace treaties is still dishonorable. Not that I really care for the cloaking technology, but you'd think a xenophobic race like the Romulans would be pretty angry with the Federation for allowing Starfleet ships just cross the border freely. I just have always thought that the Federation was better than this.

But perhaps the Romulans will get their act together once Romulans become a playable faction and I get to pewpewpew Federation ships as border patrol
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-05-2010, 04:55 AM
I agree that more on the Romulan & Federation situation could use some more coverage. However, as others stated what can the Romulans really do. Using only the game, there are at least 3 Romulan sub-factions, maybe four that we know exist.

1- Romulans who want to stay Romulan empire
2- Romulans who want to be Federation or Independent
3-Romulans who are followers of the "Dark Masters" aka Iconians
4- Romulans who just want to get on with life because after everything who really cares that much anymore

Remember that several Capital worlds/systems are gone now, including homeworlds. Billions died, they lost almost everything. So, from a logic standpoint. How are they gonna do anything when the Empire is in tatters both physically and emotionally. If the Federation tries to help them, well thanks for the help. It only improves how FEd is viewed by those getting the help.

That is assuming (yes I know what that means) if the designers actually thought this deep into it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-05-2010, 06:57 AM
War with the Undine plox.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankar
Does it really matter if the Romulan Star Empire has splintered? Couldn't Sela do something?
She tried, that's one of the reasons why Starfleet sent you and a small fleet to cripple her forces in the "Preemptive Strike" mission:

Mission Text

Quote:
We're at the turning point, <rank>.

Starfleet sent a task force to gather intelligence in the Rator system. We now have reason to believe that Rator is the gathering point for a fleet that will cross the Neutral Zone and attack Federation space.

The task force has failed to report in, and there is a strong possibility that they have been taken prisoner by the Romulans. Starfleet Command has decided that it is time for decisive action.

We are sending a fleet to Rator with two goals -- rescue our officers, and stop the Romulan fleet before it can cross the Neutral Zone. The <ship name> will be joining that fleet.

I don't need to tell you how important this is, <player name>. If this goes poorly, the Federation will be embroiled in a second war. The potential for loss of life is unimaginable.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I like how the path to 2409 says "developing new cloaking technology" because from how I see it, the cloak on the Defiant class is NOT new. The Federation already officially had a cloaking device on a Defiant class ship, given to them by the Romulans themselves. Wouldn't be hard to get permission to do a copy and paste of a device you already have schematics on and replicate it. Especially if, when you think like a Romulan, it makes perfect sense to do.
What do Klingons have that the Federation doesn't that would give them an advantage in battle?
Besides War Targs, Cloaking devices.
Who hates Klingons more than anything?
Romulans do.
Who is at war with the Klingons who already have data to one type of cloaking configuration and all you have to do is say "ok" and they use it?
The Federation.
Romulans don't have to give any classified info because the Federation already has it and they get their enemies destroyed one way or another. AWESOME.

Most Romulans may hate the Federation, but they definitely hate Klingons more.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm currently at Captain level and from what I've experienced from the Romulans, they are a shattered race spread far and wide, desperately missing their homeworld which was the axis of their government. The Remans have become dominant in space (albeit in sporadic instances of combat, acting like pirates) and the withered arm of the Romulan military is divided between nefarious attempts to adapt Borg technology at hidden outposts, blatant hostility towards the Federation through the mysterious efforts of the new Empress Sela, and the practically inexplicable alliance with the dirty, thieving Hirogen. Allegiances are split and all things trace back to the Hobus Supernova, Nero and Spock.

On the subject of the Federation crossing the NZ willy-nilly, I think it's fair to say that the game currently lacks the depth to explain it, and leaves it at plain ignorance of common sense and Star Trek canon. The developers should have made Romulan space inaccessible just as crossing into Fed space as a Klingon is currently prohibited. Then again, I seem to recall seeing Rom ships lurking around in Fed space on a few occasions...

I think the lack of attention to all this allows players to make up their own minds. Myself and many other players I know of write their own Captain's Logs, some of which are incredibly in-depth and full of brilliant anecdotes. So if you let your imagination go, make up your own story about why the Feds can hop around in Rom space seemingly at will.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizonar
I like how the path to 2409 says "developing new cloaking technology" because from how I see it, the cloak on the Defiant class is NOT new. The Federation already officially had a cloaking device on a Defiant class ship, given to them by the Romulans themselves. Wouldn't be hard to get permission to do a copy and paste of a device you already have schematics on and replicate it. Especially if, when you think like a Romulan, it makes perfect sense to do.
What do Klingons have that the Federation doesn't that would give them an advantage in battle?
Besides War Targs, Cloaking devices.
Who hates Klingons more than anything?
Romulans do.
Who is at war with the Klingons who already have data to one type of cloaking configuration and all you have to do is say "ok" and they use it?
The Federation.
Romulans don't have to give any classified info because the Federation already has it and they get their enemies destroyed one way or another. AWESOME.

Most Romulans may hate the Federation, but they definitely hate Klingons more.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
After the mission to go into Dominion under cloak and find the founders failed, the Romulan Empire said that the Defiant could keep the device with out an overseer there, but they could only use it on the other side of the worm hole and had to share all the recon the ship got. And while I'm pretty sure that SF could have outfitted most of their ships with cloaks if they wanted (since most of the engineers seemed to already know how they worked) they decided to take the high road and not use it or violate the terms of the condition the cloak was given.

If you want to get technical about it TOS Enterprise could be cloaked as well since there was an episode where it used one after they stole it from the Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Are we the Mirror Universe?