Lt. Commander
# 1 Photon Torpedo Accuracy
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
For The Developers To Answer:

What's the mechanic involving photon torpedo chance to hit? Specifically, I am finding that my torpedoes "miss" quite a bit when my target is at 25% hull or lower. Is there an algorithm that's responsible for this? Also, does the calculation on a hit or miss occur for the entire torpedo salvo? Reason I'm asking is that if I launch a Torpedo: High Yield III attack and the first torpedo misses ... they ALL miss.

I'm just wondering if this is by design or a bug in the computing tables.

This seems to crop up only during PvP and doesn't matter whether or not the target has Evasive Maneuvers active. Tractor Beam doesn't seem to increase accuracy either.

This is as annoying as watching NPC ground targets have their damage resistance INCREASE as they get lower on health.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Accuracy is based largely on the other person's defense. Speed is defense, so the faster they are going, the more likely you'll miss, up to a 50% chance. This of course gets modified by the relevant captain skills if you or they put points in them, and there are traits like elusive and accurate that give defense and accuracy, as well as accuracy on weapons of course.

So basically if you don't have the skill trained that gives accuracy, nor the trait, nor accuracy on your weapon, and your opponent is going at 26+ impulse speed, has the skill for defense fully trained, and has the elusive trait, you should miss them 75% of the time, as far as I understand the workings of it. I don't remember what evasive maneuvers adds, but throw that in and that's probably worst case scenario where you won't hit them at all (theoretically?).
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Your base accuracy is 95%, you can have up to 25% bonus accuracy + accuracy from the weapon fired. So if the tube has no acc modifier your chance is 120%.

Base defence of not moving target is -10%, 0% with elusive. Thus you have 100% chance to hit, and 20% are transfered to crit severity.

The maximum defence people can get is 92,5% = all skills, elusive traits, 26+ impulse speed and evasive maneuvers. THus your chance to hit is 120-92,5 = 27,5%

I think thats how things "maybe" are working. They may be other factors involved. But my subjective feeling is, that it works roughly that way, judging by the amount of "miss" i see above my ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Hmmm ... thanks for much for the information. This is highly enlightening!