Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
So, really? You guys are that opposed to the 2009 movie?

I kinda enjoyed it. I mean, of course everything was simultaneously updated and retro, but what else have you? The movie has to make money or did you think there was no reason at all they stopped making Next Gen movies? Remember, it took a dead DeForest Kelly and six movies to put the original movies to rest, but the TNG movies only lasting for four of them?

Yeah, I'm just glad the whole thing is there. I mean, TNG and DS9 were fairly good, but what about Lost in Space 2000(Voyager) and Good Ol' Boys in the Locker.... with their Clothes on, in Space!(Enterprise). The material was pretty dead. It was becoming devoid of the political references throughout the earlier shows, the same intellectual qualms were visited over, and over, and over, and over again, and technology was advancing far too rapidly.

Sure this game has solved some of the problems, but could this game's story line be contained within a tv show, a good tv show? Probably not. This game is a mix of many things: homages, episodes, and novelization all thrown into one.

With JJ's movie, Star Trek can begin anew. All granted its flashier and more action oriented in that film, but to keep a series alive, it's got to make money. To make money, sometimes you got to appeal to the Star Wars audience, which is everyone else.

I liked it. I like the characters in it. Sure, it's not the Captain Kirk, but then Captain Kirk basically bluffed an alien by saying whatever attacks me bounces off of me and sticks to you. So, maybe the old Kirk being re-worked isn't so bad. I like Leonard Nimoy in it. That was pretty killer.

Yeah, I like just about everything about it.

So what gives? It doesn't fit perfectly with your idea of canon? So what? It's a tv show. It's a fun tv show, it's a smart tv show sometimes(and sometimes dumb), but it's a tv show. There's no reason to take something like that so seriously that a different change in how things are done should so greatly upset people. I mean.... there are bigger things going on in the world last time I checked.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Um....i loved the movie.
I just didn't "get" the romulan ship. that is all. Looked kind of impractical for a mining vessal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah, and at least it wasn't directed by Shatner

Star Trek V is balls.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Um....i loved the movie.
I just didn't "get" the romulan ship. that is all. Looked kind of impractical for a mining vessal.
It wasn't a mining vessel any longer. It had been augmented by the Romulans with borg technology. If you read the comic book detailing the events, the Narada looked completely different before.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
So, really? You guys are that opposed to the 2009 movie?

I kinda enjoyed it. I mean, of course everything was simultaneously updated and retro, but what else have you? The movie has to make money or did you think there was no reason at all they stopped making Next Gen movies? Remember, it took a dead DeForest Kelly and six movies to put the original movies to rest, but the TNG movies only lasting for four of them?

Yeah, I'm just glad the whole thing is there. I mean, TNG and DS9 were fairly good, but what about Lost in Space 2000(Voyager) and Good Ol' Boys in the Locker.... with their Clothes on, in Space!(Enterprise). The material was pretty dead. It was becoming devoid of the political references throughout the earlier shows, the same intellectual qualms were visited over, and over, and over, and over again, and technology was advancing far too rapidly.

Sure this game has solved some of the problems, but could this game's story line be contained within a tv show, a good tv show? Probably not. This game is a mix of many things: homages, episodes, and novelization all thrown into one.

With JJ's movie, Star Trek can begin anew. All granted its flashier and more action oriented in that film, but to keep a series alive, it's got to make money. To make money, sometimes you got to appeal to the Star Wars audience, which is everyone else.

I liked it. I like the characters in it. Sure, it's not the Captain Kirk, but then Captain Kirk basically bluffed an alien by saying whatever attacks me bounces off of me and sticks to you. So, maybe the old Kirk being re-worked isn't so bad. I like Leonard Nimoy in it. That was pretty killer.

Yeah, I like just about everything about it.

So what gives? It doesn't fit perfectly with your idea of canon? So what? It's a tv show. It's a fun tv show, it's a smart tv show sometimes(and sometimes dumb), but it's a tv show. There's no reason to take something like that so seriously that a different change in how things are done should so greatly upset people. I mean.... there are bigger things going on in the world last time I checked.
I loved the new movie, it seemed more realistic to me.

Quote:
Um....i loved the movie.
It does if you think about how you would mine a whole world, which mainly would consist of blowing it into smaller chunks and minning each chunk by pulling them into the vessel for proccessing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagefiend View Post
It wasn't a mining vessel any longer. It had been augmented by the Romulans with borg technology. If you read the comic book detailing the events, the Narada looked completely different before.
Ah. didn't read it.
That would have been nice to of mentioned somehow in the movie.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Ah. didn't read it.
That would have been nice to of mentioned somehow in the movie.
they mention it in STO at least. Their access to that technology is the main storyline of the Romulan campaign.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. And looking forward to seeing where it goes from there. Nice relaunch to the series. And honestly better than most of the trek movies except for Khan.

My only disappointment in it was telling what Kirk did on the Maru. Hacking the program really wasn't how I saw that going down. Kirk usually 'cheats' by changing the rules.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Who exactly are you addressing this to? Cryptic? The fans?

For my own opinion, ST '09 is an OK action flick. Like most action flicks it's a movie of "hot" scenes strung together by little story. Buy it also has a lot of stupid continuity errors. Do you really think Starfleet would promote a cadet - one accused of cheating no less - to Captain of their flagship based on 1 mission? Do you really think a non-cloaking Romulan ship could have gotten that far into Federation space to destroy Vulcan without anyone noticing it? You think the Vulcans don't have a defense grid; especially since the Federation just had a Klingon and Romulan war a short time ago by Vulcan standards?

I didn't mine seeing in the theater and I didn't mind buying the dvd but it's really just a movie that pays no homage to the 726 episodes and 10 movies that came before it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Best Movie Ever...