Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I loved the new movie, it seemed more realistic to me.
Just to nitpick, what part of putting a bunch of kids who aren't even out of the academy yet on the Federation's flagship is realistic? Was there seriously no one else in Starfleet? That can't be possible. And even on the off chance that this was done, surely there was some level of senior staff to put under Spock, rather than a kid who hadn't been in space since he was born.

I don't really fault the more action-heavy pace of the movie. I do fault the plot holes so glaringly huge that you could fit DS9 through them. They could have just as easily told the story with Kirk in his 30s, already having experience on a starship, and somehow ending up in command.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
.... what part of putting a bunch of kids who aren't even out of the academy yet on the Federation's flagship is realistic? Was there seriously no one else in Starfleet? .....
... maybe Starfleet has a sheetload of surplus ships at the time ?

Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Who exactly are you addressing this to? Cryptic? The fans?

For my own opinion, ST '09 is an OK action flick. Like most action flicks it's a movie of "hot" scenes strung together by little story. Buy it also has a lot of stupid continuity errors. Do you really think Starfleet would promote a cadet - one accused of cheating no less - to Captain of their flagship based on 1 mission? Do you really think a non-cloaking Romulan ship could have gotten that far into Federation space to destroy Vulcan without anyone noticing it? You think the Vulcans don't have a defense grid; especially since the Federation just had a Klingon and Romulan war a short time ago by Vulcan standards?

I didn't mine seeing in the theater and I didn't mind buying the dvd but it's really just a movie that pays no homage to the 726 episodes and 10 movies that came before it.
I've just seen a lot of people dropping complaints about it all throughout the message board. I didn't think it was that bad.

And as for the promotion ordeal... I dunno. I can't see them just showing clips of Kirk's life spanned out until he hits captain either though, the pacing of that wouldn't fit too well. And the idea of having a series of movies where Kirk continually asserts himself as Captain while a Cadet is kinda ridiculous too. So, they gave a half plausible storyline to it, that Christopher Pike thought enough of him and had the sway to "make it so".

The Mauru set up though was kinda lame. I'll give you that.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with ya generally it was a good movie. Though Chris Pine (Kirk) over played the character a bit, yeah we knew he cheated on the Cobiashi Maru (Im sure I butchered the name, Sorry) but the way he acted during the test was dumb. Spock was only a little better, I hope they settle into their roles for the future films.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I enjoyed the movie even though it pretty much took Roddenberry canon and impaled it on Abrams nonsense. It didn't help the development of STO at all, probably hurt it. And, no, teleportation at warp speed and ejecting the warp core in order to escape a black hole just didn't work for me...at all.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
... maybe Starfleet has a sheetload of surplus ships at the time ?

On the off chance that this is true, then logic would demand you put the noobs on some random ship, not the bloody flagship of your fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Personally i didn't see much resembelance between the original characters and their remakes. They could have realistically done the same movie with new characters and been almost as successful.

i dont think star trek was dead after enterprise. I think people where tired of seeing the same kinds of things over and over again. personally i think a new tv show in the prime universe during a conflicted time could do very well. especially now when sci-fi is starting to eek back into the mainstream tv channels.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I like the 2009 reboot on it's own merits, detest it for the canon mistakes it so blatantly makes, some of which were actually NOT done originally but later changed because some idiot thought they WERE mistakes..*sigh*. But as a reboot to the Trek series, I like it, it's good entertainment and it's obviously pulled in a whole new generation of Trek fans. 2 more movies coming, so it's a good thing all in all.

Oh, and Kirk's Maru test was canon, he 'failed' it multiple times as in the movie, then he went in and hacked the program to allow him to win because he didn't believe in the no win scenerio. And, like in the movie, he was caught. UNLIKE the movie, he was rewarded for his initiative not punished for violating the code of conduct, mainly because no one had ever TRIED what he actually did.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
On the off chance that this is true, then logic would demand you put the noobs on some random ship, not the bloody flagship of your fleet.
hehe...

maybe one fleet admiral said to another:

" would you care to make a wager Roger ? "

" depends... "

" I wager that a crew of new graduates wouldn't get through their first mission on the new flagship Enterprise without destroying it. "

" are you proposing the same stakes? "

" yes. "

" then I agree. I hear that Kirk kid is a real loose cannon ... "

and then he gave the assignment orders....

Lt. Commander
# 20
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I loved the JJ Abrams version for what it was. The end was kinda anti climactic but it was still good.