Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov View Post
I like the 2009 reboot on it's own merits, detest it for the canon mistakes it so blatantly makes, some of which were actually NOT done originally but later changed because some idiot thought they WERE mistakes..*sigh*. But as a reboot to the Trek series, I like it, it's good entertainment and it's obviously pulled in a whole new generation of Trek fans. 2 more movies coming, so it's a good thing all in all.

Oh, and Kirk's Maru test was canon, he 'failed' it multiple times as in the movie, then he went in and hacked the program to allow him to win because he didn't believe in the no win scenerio. And, like in the movie, he was caught. UNLIKE the movie, he was rewarded for his initiative not punished for violating the code of conduct, mainly because no one had ever TRIED what he actually did.
He was called into question with a suspension pending the conclusion of the hearing, not actually punished.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll judge them by the sequel. This movie was essentially a 2 hour introduction to the "new universe", which isn't all bad, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
So, really? You guys are that opposed to the 2009 movie?

I kinda enjoyed it. I mean, of course everything was simultaneously updated and retro, but what else have you? The movie has to make money or did you think there was no reason at all they stopped making Next Gen movies? Remember, it took a dead DeForest Kelly and six movies to put the original movies to rest, but the TNG movies only lasting for four of them?

Yeah, I'm just glad the whole thing is there. I mean, TNG and DS9 were fairly good, but what about Lost in Space 2000(Voyager) and Good Ol' Boys in the Locker.... with their Clothes on, in Space!(Enterprise). The material was pretty dead. It was becoming devoid of the political references throughout the earlier shows, the same intellectual qualms were visited over, and over, and over, and over again, and technology was advancing far too rapidly.

Sure this game has solved some of the problems, but could this game's story line be contained within a tv show, a good tv show? Probably not. This game is a mix of many things: homages, episodes, and novelization all thrown into one.

With JJ's movie, Star Trek can begin anew. All granted its flashier and more action oriented in that film, but to keep a series alive, it's got to make money. To make money, sometimes you got to appeal to the Star Wars audience, which is everyone else.

I liked it. I like the characters in it. Sure, it's not the Captain Kirk, but then Captain Kirk basically bluffed an alien by saying whatever attacks me bounces off of me and sticks to you. So, maybe the old Kirk being re-worked isn't so bad. I like Leonard Nimoy in it. That was pretty killer.

Yeah, I like just about everything about it.

So what gives? It doesn't fit perfectly with your idea of canon? So what? It's a tv show. It's a fun tv show, it's a smart tv show sometimes(and sometimes dumb), but it's a tv show. There's no reason to take something like that so seriously that a different change in how things are done should so greatly upset people. I mean.... there are bigger things going on in the world last time I checked.

it was a great film, so many people enjoyed it whop hadn't liked trek before, it's not just my opinion to say it was a success . becauase it was.

But there are people that wont like it..not everyone can.

And theere is a sect of trek fans i saw on forums b4 the film was launched campaigning for "star trek to die". thats correct I said STAR TREK FANS were capaigning not to have films or tv wshowes of it ever made again. And they were calling themselves "fans". everyone is entitled to an opinion but those guys whoever they were sucked. I wont forget their "contribution" the the ongoing effort to keep trek alive.

I loved the film and totally understood in the context of the film, you weren't really meant to worry about nero too much(comic books or no) he was a facelss enemy really..the whole idea was to get you to love the enterpirse crew..so that when they make another film you will actually give a **** if they are in trouble. overall i felt it very nice work.

Some people said it wasn't realistic. we are talking about space ships flying around trying to survive against other spaceships from the futures future..........i would love to know how it could have been made more realstic in a iniverse that can conjuer stories that way. You create a universe you create the rules?

anyways yweah i liked it
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
in fairness, both pike and spock where experienced. the main doctor got killed, the main pilot was sick, the main comm person was not well versed in romulan and was replaced, the main chief engineer was replaced by a engineering genius .

i dont believe chekov would have been a bridge officer at just 17 but maybe he was just that good as his job. the the others took their place because of circumstance and luck.

then they happened to save earth and the entire federation from destruction which must have won them some brownie points.

is it realistic, no not really but it was a fun film, and ive always seen trek as a fun space adventure. i can overlook some minor errors as they were fairly minor unless people want to get picky

overall i loved the film and as long as its set in an alternate universe and the prime time line remained im all for it.

as a science fiction story its now great as they can do anything they want and really have some fun with the universe whilst keeping a sense of danger as they can kill characters or blow up planets without damaging canon.

i think i might have preferred a new crew or set in the 25th century but i suspect we will get a new tv series soon with a new crew
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
And as for the promotion ordeal... I dunno. I can't see them just showing clips of Kirk's life spanned out until he hits captain either though, the pacing of that wouldn't fit too well. And the idea of having a series of movies where Kirk continually asserts himself as Captain while a Cadet is kinda ridiculous too. So, they gave a half plausible storyline to it, that Christopher Pike thought enough of him and had the sway to "make it so".
They didn't have to make Kirk a cadet. He could have been a Lt. Cmdr with a few years experience on one of the other ships destroyed at Vulcan who was saved and brought on the Enterprise. Events could have unrolled from there with him taking charge of the ship due to Spocks' emotional issues. From there he could have been given command logically at movie's end. The movie could have followed continuity and been just as interesting without foolish leaps of faith or destroying planets. I'd even go so far as to say I'm tired of seeing ST movies that are solely focused on saving the Earth. Is that all writers can think of as a threat in the ST universe?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
fust make a show in the "ORIGINAL" mirror universe with the terran empire [or the new terran federation or whatever]. thoes 2 episodes in enterprise made me a very happy guy.

also my 2 cents on the new movie/universe

i loved the movie, but hated the mirror universe and what it means for us trekkers.

by which i mean our universe is going to go down the drain in favor of this new 'hip' universe. but honestly if there was a new show in the new mirror universe i would watch it and claim it was the best thing i had ever watched.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Pro's of Star Trek 2009:
1. Excellent cast
2. Expanded the ST audience
3. Reinvigorated the franchise
4. Brought a fresh perspective with new visual effects

Con's of Star Trek 2009:
1. The plot device was a cop out
2. The use of Leonard Nimoy to appease the old school trekkies
3. Certain plot elements
4. Trying too hard to appeal to everyone instead of letting the story draw people in
5. JJ Abrams
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
Pro's of Star Trek 2009:
1. Excellent cast
2. Expanded the ST audience
3. Reinvigorated the franchise
4. Brought a fresh perspective with new visual effects

Con's of Star Trek 2009:
1. The plot device was a cop out
2. The use of Leonard Nimoy to appease the old school trekkies
3. Certain plot elements
4. Trying too hard to appeal to everyone instead of letting the story draw people in
5. JJ Abrams
Some of his other projects are so so, but I like Star Trek and Fringe.
So JJ, he's not all his special features claim he is, but some of his work doesn't suck.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Some of his other projects are so so, but I like Star Trek and Fringe.
So JJ, he's not all his special features claim he is, but some of his work doesn't suck.
ive never understood why some people seams to hate him though, ive actually seen more hate for JJ than the film itself and im not sure why

i agree he's no genius but my favourite shows are fringe and lost and he had a big part in them and i thought he did a good job on ST
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
So here's a thought. Instead of producing an entire new series of Trek, why doesn't CBS Paramount test the waters with a set of two-hour TV movies, set int eh Prime Universe, that we can call: Tales of teh Federationb. Each one can be set in a different time or area of space. Each one can have different cast members. After a few of these are aired, the really popular ones can be developed into a series if that is cost feasible and the remainder can be pulled out for additional TV movies. You could even do a series of shorts helmed by "guest directors". I personally would love to see different interpretations of Trek. Can anyone really deny the idea of "Resevoir Trek" with Tarantino as guest director? Screw the phasers, we goin' with shotguns and baseball bats.
Maybe even an animated steampunk trek. I mean, when you have established iconic show like Trek, re-imagining could be made fun and exciting. Star Trek at it's best captured our imagination and made us believe that men could achieve so much more than quibbling amongst ourselves. Let that ride and open up the franchise to some new ideas.
and more lens flare...