Lt. Commander
# 1 Colonising Missions maybe?
04-13-2010, 04:51 AM
I begun thinking at some point of what might be nice to see (not demanding) is colonising missions, also been working on how this can be done as well if anyone wants to have a look.

Sector Space: Meet up with colony ship in Exploring sectors then run into a random system to see if its suitable to setup there.

System Space: Randomly generated system with afew planets for you to pick what you think is the best planet rated against what the most suitable would of been, so if the best is an M class planet and you find a O Class (+80% Surface Water for those who don't remember more then M Class) then you get marked down but still a pass cause its still a suitable place to live, but if you pick a Gas giant then you either fail or it tells you to try again, you'll be able to scan each planet before picking where it shows you stats of that planet so you can make up your mind, for example scanning earth would get you "Nitrogen/Oxygen Atmosphere, average temperate 287K (14'c), 70% Surface Water, High levels of plant life, High levels of animal life, Humanoids detected" something along them lines but if its intellegent life then it becomes unsuitable, but its not 100% effective at detecting intellegent life so you may still need to visit.

Planet Surface: Now the game changes into finding the most suitable place for the colony, if the planet has toxic or trace atmosphere (still might be the best option unless you wanna visit another system), then you have to go in an environmental suit then look for the spot on the map that has the best value of these traits you want for a colony.

Defence Rating (how good to defend etc)
Resource Rating (should understand this)
Scenery Rating (you got to have a good view)

There will be 3 spots for each trait in different locations on the map (so the best defence spot might not be near the best resource spot and might be okish for scenery) and you have to find the optimum spot for the colony to get the highest you can from these even if your not close to each one. You should be able to use the tricorder to tell you a percentage rating for each one where you are.
If there are humanoids on the planet, then a whole new degree comes into play, are they hostile? can you reason with them to let you setup here? and if so how far do they want to keep away which would also effect best colony spot.

The reward points you get will be a factor of planet you picked and colony spot you picked, best will be awarded full points, any less will have deducions. This would also give another use for the exploration zones and add afew more non-combat missions, would have to be done after the diplomacy system has been worked out first, but thought I'd send out the idea.

Feel free to talk about it as I've prob not thought about something along the way lol

Also sorry if been suggested before and also sorry if in wrong place to put this, wasn't fully awake when posting heh
Lt. Commander
# 2 More mission variety!
04-13-2010, 05:55 AM
I think this is a pretty good idea. Anything that offers up more variety in mission content would be good. You could add all kinds of variants to this mission to include: defend the colony ships from hostile factions; race to colonize planets against another faction; supply the newly established colony, etc. You could even incorporate some of these elements as 'acts' within the mission episode. You do have to ensure strong rewards, perhaps high badges of exploration value, to incent players to do these missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Great idea - more 'Star Trek' type missions are always going to be a good idea.

Trouble is can the game engine support this type of game play? Afterall 'scanning' doesn't actually do anything. its just a pointer and a collection option. I wonder if the game engine can give you feedback with any kind of options?

Shame, would be nice to have some 'skill' based play. Would be nice to check up on a colony you helped establish. I wouldn't mind getting them 10 entertainment units if the the people of 'SimonVille (TM)' asked me nicely!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
It would be good to be able to revisit previous colonies, but I was thinking at first a colonise and forget mission to lessen the load on the game database, maybe if the colony data was stored on your own computer to make it easier to load and might be able to keep more variables then, then you could in a way keep developing the colony till its finished or something.

As for the game engine, as it is now its not useful for this sort of mission setting the way I've put it, maybe after afew tweaks, but I never thought anything like this would be able to come out anytime soon, maybe in a year after other things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
sorry to bump my own topic, but just thought of something to add to the general idea.
If the file can be saved to a players pc, and say you want to invite a friend to visit you colony, you send them the "co-ordernates" (aka something that makes it so they get a copy of your file in visit only mode etc) that updates that file if both you and your friend/s visit at the same time, and maybe an option so that a whole fleet can work on a single colony and build up a story for it and sharing the file between them.
Maybe also adding a text box so you can fill out a bio for said colony.

Also would like more thoughts on the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2010, 05:50 AM
/signed Anything that adds more variety
Lt. Commander
# 7 Foundry?
11-20-2010, 06:04 AM
I wonder if you could start trying some of these ideas for colonization out in the Foundry? You might not have the random scanning piece, but you could do a 'scout for a proposed colony' mission where there is one spot that is ideal that you must find (mission complete). You might be able to build in the scanning info for multiple spots by creating dialogue boxes from your science officer. You could also build dialogue boxes from science officers on the colony ships, local 'traders' who know the area (for a price). You could add in hostiles (beasts, competing factions, smugglers, etc.). Anyways, ithis gets me excited about the possibilities the Foundry might open up. Fingers crossed the Foundry can support this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRAVE View Post
/signed Anything that adds more variety
Holy **** someone read my sig lol

Also for the Klingons, instead of the Scenery Rating, you'd get an Honour Rating, does this place look like the mighty stronghold of a great warrior of long past where epic tales can be told, or the corner shop down the road that Ted visited to get the local newspaper. This is where building on an overlooking ledge over a canyon might be a good thing, where Feds might think its abit better to build it in the field over there with the shrubbery thats got a nice 2 layered effect and a fence.

It'll be the akin of a Fleet Starbase, but on the ground, now that the Devs are doing the UGC tools, they would help with this idea more then anything.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter41 View Post
I wonder if you could start trying some of these ideas for colonization out in the Foundry? You might not have the random scanning piece, but you could do a 'scout for a proposed colony' mission where there is one spot that is ideal that you must find (mission complete). You might be able to build in the scanning info for multiple spots by creating dialogue boxes from your science officer. You could also build dialogue boxes from science officers on the colony ships, local 'traders' who know the area (for a price). You could add in hostiles (beasts, competing factions, smugglers, etc.). Anyways, ithis gets me excited about the possibilities the Foundry might open up. Fingers crossed the Foundry can support this.
someone always posts faster then I do lol, but yeah I have been thinking of how to rework it for without the scanning-for-lifeforms minigame, but it would need a later version of the Foundery (that would allow choices etc) to work. It would have some Science Officers from your ship (non-bridge crew) set out like a scout team and you talk to them etc
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I like this idea. I like it even more if you could set up one colony per account and each character on that account can contribute to the colony. Right now, unless my characters are in the same fleet they have almost no interaction. But if they are responsible for building the same colony, then at least they would have some interaction.

Cryptic could have a "Terraform Command" at ESD and Qo'nos. They give you the option of a handful of randomly generated planets on which you can set up a colony. Once you do you can start running cargo runs, patrol missions, and other "colonization" related missions.

Obviously, you would want to wait and not unlock this feature until players reached VA1 (or Fleet Admiral once it is opened) But I think it would add some endgame content as it would turn STO into a colonization sim that still requires you to play the various elements of STO in order to keep your colony afloat (d**n self-sealing stem bolts don't make themselves)