Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic-Team,

to enlarge and realize more Star Trek-Feelings, would it be possible to fly through the sector map out of the captains char on my bridge?

Sitting in the my chair and looking on that huge screen and stars breezing along, would be a great experience.
A little pad implemented in the chair will ensure the steering of the ship.

Surely, it makes on sense in navigating into the sector map, fighting isn't possible and too oppressing.

The rest of you, please feel free and give a feedback

so long,
Xaben
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
no has an opinion or did they discuss that already?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
It's been brought up many times in many variations. People probably feel they've already said all they want to.

Even putting just "bridge steering" in the search box brings up many of them. Selecting the "Show Posts" option narrows it down even further.

It's a widely supported request.
Lt. Commander
# 4 not really possible
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
If I recall everything is instanced...u cannot control a ship from an instance.....or something like that....SHRUG
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
fedup of instances... the game should just be one open space...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-14-2010, 01:08 AM
They should still give the damn option to steer via bridge even if you can't see any other players. Im sure they could figure it out SOMEHOW if they really wanted to. Key word being *wanted* to.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
fedup of instances... the game should just be one open space...
Y....es..........it.....sh.....ould be.......just...........one...........op....e..... n... space. Sorry if.....you.....ca.....n...'t.....ma.....k....e.... this out.....I....'m la......g..g.....i...ng too...*SERVER NOT RESPONDING*

As it stands now the Bridge is a seperate instance. When you enter your bridge, you leave sector space. So, as it stands now its impossible to "steer" from the bridge, HOWEVER it may be possible to "plot a course" from the bridge and have the game estimate the time it'd take to get to the desired system. Would have to consult the devs on whether thats possible, but I wouldnt get my hopes up. Not for a long while, at least.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-14-2010, 01:45 AM
I'll have that, because the view on that big screen with the breezing stars is Star Trek (for me)

- One Instance
- 360 flight

that are the continuous issues...
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-14-2010, 08:49 AM
I dont want this.

What I do want, however, is the ability to set a course in sector, have the ship steer towards it, and then visit my bridge while the ship is in-transit.

While eventually bridge control would be nice, the fact of the matter is, rendering out the space view AND the bridge at the same time is nothing short of asking for a near impossible change to the engine. You'd literally need 2 versions of the engine running at the same time, one to render the view-screen. Heck, watch an interview with the developers of Portal to get a sense of just how hard stuff like this really is!

That said, I'm satisfied to wait until ship interiors become more developed before I request that we are able to a) set a multi-leg course across several boundaries where the ship warps to the next block and continues to its goal, and b) we can "ride" in the interior, only pulled out by a red-alert when we are drawn into a deep-space encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthrider View Post
As it stands now the Bridge is a separate instance. When you enter your bridge, you leave sector space. So, as it stands now its impossible to "steer" from the bridge, HOWEVER it may be possible to "plot a course" from the bridge and have the game estimate the time it'd take to get to the desired system. Would have to consult the devs on whether that's possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not for a long while, at least.
Well, since EVERYTHING is instanced, if they treat the bridge as a "moving ship" that you can walk around in, they you can have the view screen work and be in an instance with other players. SWG did a wonderful job doing exactly this,...when they FINALLY came out with space travel. It can be done.