Lt. Commander
Pursuant to Today's Patch Notes:
Quote:
Release Notes 4/13/10
General Updates
  • Borg ships resist confuse, hold, and subsystem damage. The higher the tier of the ship, the higher the resistance.
Could this patch note be clarified in terms of the 2.5% chance to disable subsystem property of Phasers (specifically)? I ask because this particular patch note *implies* that Phaser, Chroniton and Tricobalt special effects (which fall into the "control" category) will be more heavily resisted by Borg ships than the Disruptor, Quantum, Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron, Transphasic and Antiproton damage types ... by default. This in turn substantially "devalues" the Phaser, Chroniton and Tricobalt damage types relative to the other options when dealing with Borg ships ... which effectively would grant an "unfair advantage" to the non-control effect damage types in dealing with the Borg.

A more comprehensive (and, admittedly, more complicated) solution would be to have all of the various secondary effects and BOff Skills grant resistance to their specific effect to the Borg for a duration determined on a case by case basis determined by the source of the effect. If the source of the effect is a weapon proc, then the resistance is only granted when the weapon procs and lasts for a reasonably short duration. If the source of the effect is a BOff Skill then the resistance granted to the effect will be much larger and cover a much longer duration, since there's no Random Number Generator involved in causing the effect.

Using such a system which "grants" resistance to effects to Borg ships because those effects "happen" would represent the Borg ability to ADAPT more effectively than just a simple blanket "the Borg resist control effects" solution.

Anyone on staff care to comment on my theory?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I am sure the intent is to make it so that Borg vessels - especially Cubes - can't be completely defanged by any combination of Target Subsystem, Viral Matrix, Jam Targeting Sensors, Tyken's Rift, etc.

Quote:
This in turn substantially "devalues" the Phaser, Chroniton and Tricobalt damage types relative to the other options when dealing with Borg ships ... which effectively would grant an "unfair advantage" to the non-control effect damage types in dealing with the Borg.
No. It marginally devalues phasers and the other potentially affected weapon types against Borg opponents only. The energy weapon procs aren't gamechangers to begin with, and they certainly aren't a critical component of engagements against the Borg.

I sympathize with your point, which is that if Borg resist certain kinds of effects that canon would suggest it's because they are adapting, such that they would resist the effects of any weapon type with enough exposure. That said, I think the goal is really to remove certain powerful CC abilities from PvE Borg engagements that they trivialize, which is important and long overdue. Even if Phasers get caught in the - ahem - crossfire, I think the spirit of the change is still good.