Lt. Commander
# 91 Simple ground combat
02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
It is likely that battles would be simple in star trek because phasers have no recoil and are energy weapons and therefore not subject to the feeble gravity of a planet surface. Hence firing a phaser is both direct and accurate, which would make combat more simple and very deadly. The only component that would add complexity is cover, if you can hide behind obstacles made from a material impervious to phaser fire the battle will be prolonged and more complex.

On the other hand, Klingons tend to favour edged weapons in close combat, which should add yet another dimension, but any sensible star fleet combatant shoots deadly holes in Klingons long before they reach melee range. It will be interesting to see how Cryptic handles this. As a personal preference I would prefer ranged weapons.

Tem
Lt. Commander
# 92 deadly holes?
02-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temtavia View Post
It is likely that battles would be simple in star trek because phasers have no recoil and are energy weapons and therefore not subject to the feeble gravity of a planet surface. Hence firing a phaser is both direct and accurate, which would make combat more simple and very deadly. The only component that would add complexity is cover, if you can hide behind obstacles made from a material impervious to phaser fire the battle will be prolonged and more complex.

On the other hand, Klingons tend to favour edged weapons in close combat, which should add yet another dimension, but any sensible star fleet combatant shoots deadly holes in Klingons long before they reach melee range. It will be interesting to see how Cryptic handles this. As a personal preference I would prefer ranged weapons.

Tem
I'll pretend I didn't read that bit about the Klingons
Lt. Commander
# 93 fleet
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
will someone pleas tell me how i can join a fleet?
Lt. Commander
# 94 Ultimate modification
02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
This may have already been covered, but while ship customization will be allowed, how customized can the ships get? I am part of a forum that basicaly RPs the voyages of our won ships... the one i've been able to design is a modification off the Sovergn class... but, taking a page or two from "all good things" (TNG) was granted a third nacell. While i'm sure this is a common question, but what about the registry number? I'd love to replicate this ship (Dual-warp cores and all) in the game. Would there be a way to TRUELY re-create this starship?
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorsor1 View Post
will someone pleas tell me how i can join a fleet?
Don't be afraid to search the forums and read descriptions.

But go here and look at the fleets listed. See what ones you like and contact them in their threads.
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-23-2009, 08:39 AM
another cool faq.
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
How far will Shields play a role in battle?

The question may sound stupid but looking at DS9 and the later TNG movies I've noticed that phasers and especially Torpedoes impact almost immedietly on the Hull without any visible Shield impacts. Following up on that question: WIll there be Shield-bypassing weapons or will we have the classical "Destroy the SHield first and then go for the Hull" Battles?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
[QUOTEIs it possible to purchase, capture, or steal ships of the opposite faction? For example, can a Federation officer acquire a Klingon Bird of Prey, or maybe even a Romulan Warbird or must you be a member of those factions to access those ships?

There will probably be episodes where you get to commandeer starships from other factions. But you donít get to keep them. You canít, as a Starfleet officer, get a Klingon Warbird and pimp it and then go jaunting around the galaxy doing your Federation work. You have to use the ships that belong to your faction.
Quote:
Okay, now one moment please...

Of course this game will be different from EVE. However the prestige in that game comes from the ships you fly, the ships you sport.

With regard to STO... I think perhaps the capture of enemy faction ships can be turned in for a MASSIVE amount of credits. This could be a daily PvP activity (maybe).

Now... I love the federation. But I also LOVE trophy ships. I understand if the devs won't let us keep opposing faction ships because that is in line with the ST Universe. However what about Shore leave, or extended leave time from the service? Are these options where we are exempt from Star Fleet responsibilities. Can there be the purchase, capture, or even attaining of "trophy" ships that we can float around in just for prize, or even ships that have special abilities (i.e. ships geared for archeology, or science, or even luxury vessels).

As a side note... TNG was bomb because i mean hey... a Galaxy class ship commands your attention. Bless Janeway and her voyager, but a ship with a compliment of 40 some torpedoes is laughable. Perhaps some would disagree, but I think that size DOES matter in the TNG Universe. It was a disappointment after TNG that things just kept getting smaller and smaller in the other series (with the exception of DS9 in which we were big... but stationary... then dinky and able to go places).
I like this idea Alot I'd like to see some kinda shore leave to do what we wish away from starfleet to be able to have a non-starfleet ship an be able to take over another ship i love doing that stuff ( NPC only of course ) but to take over another ship an sale it or keep it as my own ( is one of the HUGEST reason i want to play ) that an i like star trek or even to be able to BUY the plans for another faction ship would be great ( taking it by force would be better ) but a to be romlane an fly a starfleet ship hell ya you could even do it where if that faction finds out there gunning for you or you take it from the people that took it in the first place to return the ship the the faction that owns it an get some mass cash from it or the right to fly that class of ship

To be able to have my own ship outside of starfleet would allow me to fly to place that starfleet ships can't / couldn't go with out war or battle

Like me the first thing i plan on doing with a non-starfleet ship would be to set course for the dalta quant. i'd like to be able to go an lol meet the borg queen lol an a few other races that are only there or take an pick a place as far out as i can go an go there just for the hell of it

Star trek wasn't about JUST starfleet or the borg ect.. it was also able the everyday people an there lives so to have some kinda shore leave would be great an to have to plan for a retirement ( if you ever wanted to leave starfleet but still play ) would be great to able to go to a starbase an not have to report in have some kinda civilian playable toon where you can deside to play by the rules or not where your not bound by the laws of starfleet an can do what ever you wish Hell ya take over ships,smuggle guns / info,to follow a borg ship for days on end,to be able to become a borg with out it staring a war with starfleet,to be able to beam down to a planet an steal some tech. an see if you can get away to do whatever you wanted as long as you don't get caught but if you do get caught your game is over for that toon would you risk it i no i would. I think that when it comes right down to it there is going to come a point were we'll get tired of playing by starfleets rules an just want to play an explore space with out being ordered to this area or were we MUST go to a call for help at some point i'm not going to want to play a starfleet capnt. or even be in star fleet a time were i can still play an have fun an just flat out relax an enjoy the game

the biggest thing i'd like to see is a PLAYABLE BORG i'm all about knowledge an learning so to me a borg / exborg would be the mother load of knowledge to have to really LEARN or at least feel i am learning alot of what the borg know idk how this would be done maybe you find your self on a planet an not part of the borg Collective anymore ( if your ever turned into 1 ) to be able to see better to have the knowledge of the borg an a few of there upgrades would be great

I'd also like to see a story that gose on an on another words if i get caught by the borg i don't want to wake up in sick bay like it was all a bad dream i hate that or if i run outta anit-matter in deep space in a black zone a planet magicly shows up on my long range. so many games do that an i hate it like in WoW you die an run back thats just stupide to me if i die by god i should have to be dead.... for at least a min. if i get hit by a sword i should bleed so.. to me with STO if you get taken by the borg then i should have to see or play the borg not magicly show up in sick bay let the story play out no matter what happens code in 50 ways the story could / can go

Heres my idea for a playable borg :
your flying along an a borg cude shows up you end up being assimilated you HAVE to watch for 5 min or less what your toon is doing out of your control / or with your control either 1 the ship your on is attacked an is badly damaged an starts to crash on some planet you wake to find that only a few are still alive an no longger part of the collective as your memorys starts to return you get more an more control of your toon after you have totaly control of your toon you find that your on some planet in the far reaches of space far from home ( you still have all of your borg inplants ) now you must deside do you

A: start your own collective ( with a max set # of real players / NPCS exp. if your part of a guild you can only turn your other guild members into Playable borg if your not in a guild then you have to go to the nearest borg area an find others that will join or that you can join get a ship an invade your first Npc base / ship )

B: find a doctor to remove the inplants an a ship to try an return home ( the amount of inplant removed would depend on the doctors skill lvl )

C: rejoin the collective (as a playable borg that must only do as your told )

D: find a way to make the borg PAY FOR ALL THAT they have done

See all that could an can be done outside of starfleet the above idea would require you not to be in starfleet for a time.
The Npcs that assimilated would follow the same code as the Npcs of the borg with a max # of drones that you can have i think this would be base on the # in your guild say like for ever 10 real players you could have 1 Npc drone or if not in a guild an far from home say it would take at least 2 real players to have 1 drone
Playable borg can be done with out messing the WHOLE game up i think that a playable ex-borg would be easyer to do but still i hope to see some kinda playable borg
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
There are bunches of replies for me waiting to read and be answered. Does anyone know how to access the replies?
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Q: Do you have time to smile?

Or Could you make Wolf 359 a launch mega event?
Tnx if you can and ah well if you can not..

Being based in lost cats caly

Does this mean you know where all the kzinti went?

Los Gatos ? [sorry the cats...forgot esp for a sec in coffee withdrawal frenzy]
SO Cryptic Def knows the way to San Jose!!!
But
Q: Do you know Where Have all Tribbles Gone?
Long Time Passing
A:.....?
Q:maybe we could have a where do you live country wise as a poll for dev to see demographics?