Lt. Commander
# 61
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
So I can be flying a Centaur right from the start? Sweet

Thank you Cryptic for the great info.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
wow thats pretty cool.. dont suppose we could get some scrennies on what you got ground side so far ? (like some cool rifles)
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-20-2009, 09:45 AM
This is the kind of "ask" I like seeing, this answers questions ive had about the design/implementation of ships in game alot of us have been curious about...
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anichent View Post
I love how Cryptic is well known for their customization. And knowing that the ships in STO were going to be customizable was great...but this isn't just customization. The words "ship class" no longer have meaning. Now Cryptic seems to be saying only ship types matter, and that theoretically you could take a "light cruiser" type and it would not look like any class. Esentially, there are no classes any more except for those few people who choose to make their "configurations" look like a Centaur or a Miranda.

Losing the idea of ship classes is a big loss for me. Sure I can make my ship configuration match existing classes, and I will, but STO will lose a lot of its feel for me whe I can see Klingon and Federation ships in unlimited combinations.
I kind of have to agree with this to a certain degree. I like the fact that we're given lots of customization options, but the fact that in-game ships will be identified by type ("Look, that's a Tier 1 Light Cruiser... err, of some kind") instead of by ship class ("Look, that's a modified Miranda class... which I know is in the Tier 1 Light Cruiser category") is a bit disappointing. I was envisioning something along the lines of: Ships are classified by Tier first, then class second... with each "base" class having its own base stats before modification.

I'm not even exactly sure why it's that big of a deal... just some weird part of me that wants to ID ships by their class, just like in the shows. Call me crazy!

I think this would also explain why the NX-91001 isn't given a class name in the post about it. According to this, it might not even have a class name and is simply of the Tier 3 Battleship configuration, or whatever the name is.
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
After constantly reading through these very cool and informative Ask Cryptic updates...I find myself still asking the same question:

What will ship internals be like? Will there be just the critical areas like the Bridge, Engineering, Sickbay, etc. Or will it be more involved? (ie. visit one of the nacelle control rooms, take a tour of the ship from stem to stern, log some time into the jefferies tubes, etc.) What I want is to be able to spend my very first few hours in the game doing nothing more then exploring the ship before she even leaves space dock.

PS. To all the people saying the ship customization ruins the trek experience for them...you obviously haven't been reading. You'll be able to customize the ship to a certain degree. Like the TNG Nebula class and the DS9 war-retrofitted Nebula class...only more involved then that, but you get my drift. You'll still be able to recognize a ship class...it will just be a bit different then your use to. Take a look at the screen shots and the trailer, you'll notice a Sovereign variant...a Miranda variant (which I think is actually a MK II)...a Galaxy variant...a Centaur variant...etc.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM
That sounds great - can't wait to customize my ships. Thanks for the great 'Ask Cryptic' Awen!
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I have to say that it was a good read the only thing better would be more screenshots i enjoy those the most

i have high expectations for this game and i hope cryptic will pull through
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Great updates thanks team!

Looking forward even more to playing this now... if thats even possible!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Great update cant wait
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Quote:
You can warp to another planet in a system, which is basically instantaneous. However, when travelling from star system to star system (or other points of interest in the galaxy), you will travel at warp speed.
I dont understand this snippet. Does this mean that warp travel is NOT instantaneous when moving between systems - but IS when traveling between planets in the same system?

I don't think it should be instantaneous, it never was in the show ... but that statement seems to say two different things - that warp is instant, but its not. ?

What is the experience of warping between systems like? We set a course and a speed, the engines rev up, the stars streak past us, and we kinda hang out in 3rd person view above our ship for a while? What will we as captains be doing during this time? (Don't get me wrong, I dont think this should be instant, and I do think we should have travel down time ... just trying to envision how its working).