Lt. Commander
# 71
02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Excellent information. It got me excited enough to make my first post.

*goes back to clicking refresh on sto main page, hoping for more updates*
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyceSTO View Post
I dont understand this snippet. Does this mean that warp travel is NOT instantaneous when moving between systems - but IS when traveling between planets in the same system?

I don't think it should be instantaneous, it never was in the show ... but that statement seems to say two different things - that warp is instant, but its not. ?

What is the experience of warping between systems like? We set a course and a speed, the engines rev up, the stars streak past us, and we kinda hang out in 3rd person view above our ship for a while? What will we as captains be doing during this time? (Don't get me wrong, I dont think this should be instant, and I do think we should have travel down time ... just trying to envision how its working).
Play StarTrek: Bridge Commander. Warp drive will probably work in the same fashion there as in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
"Capt Picard... nice to hear from you..."

"You want to what?"

"Capt... why on earth would you want to put the nacels on the bottom of the Enterprise?"

"To look cooler?"

"Sure... just go ahead and dock into pimpmystarship bay 3, we will spend plenty of resources and man hours... so you can look cooler..."

II hope there are massive limits.... I don't feel like seeing a purple and yellow mod on the galaxy class starships, as if Starfleet is a massive gang of mercanaries devoid of any military structure.

Structure means I can't paint my starship whatever color I want... it means there is a standard color for all starships....
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Tis lookin good. Really happy with all the new info Cryptic has been providing.
Much better than the sit and wait for nothing that has been the past.
I can't wait to give STO a whril!
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, FANTASTIC Ask Cryptic this time. Not a single filler question in there. All 100% quality. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyceSTO View Post
I dont understand this snippet. Does this mean that warp travel is NOT instantaneous when moving between systems - but IS when traveling between planets in the same system?

I don't think it should be instantaneous, it never was in the show ... but that statement seems to say two different things - that warp is instant, but its not. ?

What is the experience of warping between systems like? We set a course and a speed, the engines rev up, the stars streak past us, and we kinda hang out in 3rd person view above our ship for a while? What will we as captains be doing during this time? (Don't get me wrong, I dont think this should be instant, and I do think we should have travel down time ... just trying to envision how its working).
Actually it should be fairly instantaneous when traveling from one planet to another in the same star system simply because of the speed involved, if you watch the DS9 episode "By Inferno's Light" the Defiant has to risk engaging it's warp drive inside the Bajoran system so it can stop the Bashir Changeling using the stolen runabout, the USS Yukon from detonating the explosive device composed of trilithium, tekasite and protomatter inside the Bajoran sun. The Defiant reached the Yukon instantaneously in this instance.
Lt. Commander
# 77 Communications
02-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Will there be web cam & mic support for ship to ship comunications?

Incoming message; ON SCREEN!
Lt. Commander
# 78 Bridge crew
02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I get the impression from the information presented in the Q&A that the bridge crew stations operate as passive enhancements rather than active skills. For instance, if your tactical officer has skills relating to torpedo control/configuratuion then you will receive a bonus to torpedo performance in battle, but only if that officer is present at an active bridge workstation. This would preclude the possibility of player characters assuming the role of a non-commmand bridge post, simple because the skill is a passive modifier and not an active skill. Naturally this is pure speculation on my part, but reading between the lines I get this impression.

As for ship customisation, I'm a fan of galactic civ II so if the customisation is even half as good as that then I shall be happy. Although I dont have really find it a problem personally I wondered what people think about the ability to reconfigure the ship. Traditionally, from watching the films and television series, the ship's engineer is able to make minor redesigns and tweek the configuration of equipment aboard the ships, but I have never seen a starfleet engineer swapping nacelles or making major design changes. Would starfleet allow a captain to reconfigure his ship and fit lots of alien technology? Just a thought for discusion
Lt. Commander
# 79 Space travel
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I imagine Cryptic could build in an optimum operating range for ship components that dictates how they perform and for how long. For instance, if you travel at maximum warp the engines are effectively running at their design limit and like any machine will wear out faster. The longer you travel at max warp the more wear is cause to the engines and related system, which ultimately will cause them to fail. Perhaps this can be used to limit player use of maximum warp. If you stress your engines too much the ship could be restricted to a low warp speed until your engineer has effected repairs or you visit a maintenance facility and have them overhauled. Naturally, if you operate the ship at its optimal warp speed then the wear is minimal and might take a long time before you require maintenance or suffer any penalties. All this would encourage players to reserve max warp for situations that endanger the ship, such as ambush by evil space pirates or encountering a dangerous natural phenomina. Additionally, similar effects could allow players to "over power" their weapons for a short period to allow them to destroy a dangerous oppponent at the expense of have limited weapons afterwards. It is a gamble since if your "over powered" attack fails you will face the enemy with the odds stacked against you, but that can lead to lots of fun situations and allow player to be creative, turning a formerly limited ship in a briefly powerful one.
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
It's that time that you've all been waiting for. Exciting new questions with brand new answers! I bring you, Ask Cryptic Volume 8. Have you ever wanted to now how Ship Modification will work? You're going to have to read more to find out!

Read it all here!
i have a question! do you have to pay for star trek online?