Lt. Commander
I wonder if someone could help me here.

Currently, I am investigating if it is possible te train ur BO's with "purchased" BO's that include "rare" BO skills.

For example, ur a tactical player so u can teach High Yield Torp III to commander BO's. Yet you can not train high level science/engineer skills, this is understandable.

What I don't get is the following; why do most BO skills prefer ground special abilities? I want to teach my engineer commander BO better skills then can be currently trained with the power trainer. So, one could buy BO's from the exchange and let them train up to that level.

So, if I were rich ingame, or spend xxx amount of merits, I could purchase a BO on the Exchange to teach my engineering BO Reverse Shield Polarity III for example, without being an engineer class.

I know, it is a "uberpowered" BO then, but whats the point of the current trading of BO's then, purely looks and ground traits?

I want to teach my BO's rare space skills, they are of use to me at RA5 level, all ground traits are useless since I never use BO's on the ground anymore.

So, was this by design or are there upcoming changes so there is a chance of getting those rare science/engineer skills for ur BO's as a tactical captain?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
basically, if you can train the skill then you won't find an officer with it, if you can't train the skill then you will find an officer with it (for space, don't care to explore this with ground). The only exception is attack pattern omega 3.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
basically, if you can train the skill then you won't find an officer with it, if you can't train the skill then you will find an officer with it (for space, don't care to explore this with ground). The only exception is attack pattern omega 3.
so with adapting shield to a ship class, the BO's adapt to ur personal class?

Mmm, serious downer. Then rare BO's have absolutely no added value besides ground traits and race specific skills like Saurians with their effciency bonus of +5 for weapons/engine/aux.

So the best BO rare skillset is finding 4 Saurians for each class ur ship requieres and just train the vanilla skills urself of via the power store

I say missed opportunity, same with Memory Alpha crafting, there are absolutey NO distincive ways to gain the upper hand via gearing, STO embraces the Karl Marx philosophy

Das Kapital. space MMO style. Lets all be equal
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurianNL View Post
So the best BO rare skillset is finding 4 Saurians for each class ur ship requieres and just train the vanilla skills urself of via the power store
Actually, those are uncommon, not rare, and you'd want 5, unless you pre-ordered from Amazon (borg BOff has efficient).

There are a few skills that cannot be trained, either by your or the NPC trainer. A prime example of that would be Reverse Shield Polarity III.

I believe that it is intended at some point in the future for players to be able to trade BOffs they themselves have trained. But that isn't anywhere on the current schedule, if I'm even correct that it is intended at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurianNL View Post
so with adapting shield to a ship class, the BO's adapt to ur personal class?

Mmm, serious downer. Then rare BO's have absolutely no added value besides ground traits and race specific skills like Saurians with their effciency bonus of +5 for weapons/engine/aux.

I say missed opportunity, same with Memory Alpha crafting, there are absolutey NO distincive ways to gain the upper hand via gearing, STO embraces the Karl Marx philosophy

Das Kapital. space MMO style. Lets all be equal
not quite, if you can train the skill at all (regardless of being tactical, engineering, science). for example a tactical officer can train attack pattern beta three, so no bridge officers will have the skill.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
not quite, if you can train the skill at all (regardless of being tactical, engineering, science). for example a tactical officer can train attack pattern beta three, so no bridge officers will have the skill.
With the exception of Attack Pattern Omega III, a common enough skill on BOffs and one you can train as a tactical officer with 9/9 Starship Battle Strategy.