Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
I could point out all the advantages klingons have, but lets be honest, you know what they are.
Yes, you can find them in this thread. Teamwork, focussing, healing, basic target acquisition, basic knowledge on what skills to use and which to avoid. Having to level up doing nothing but pvp helps, too.

Yes, MES is broken, but still using it makes one stupid. I am trying to fight this kind of stupidity, but there is no salvation for those who don't want to learn and rather complain about their enemies being to strong.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyol View Post
I assume you have already the incomprehensible power to create a klingon toon, you didn't fail to find the klingon high council and you already know where ganalda station is and what you can do there. What follows now is the second step, barely beyond the cognitive achievement of breathing without having to think about it, but still way beyond finding the hiding place of Admiral Sulu. So... Starfleet spies, if you read this, it won't help you, it only works if you actually stop standing in the dressing room, staring at your pretty reflection in the mirror - and we all know that won't happen anytime soon.

The first half of the IWIN Button:

#1) Team up.

I mean it. This *should* be a no brainer.

Right click any ally in a match, select the menu point 'request to join team'. If there is no team present create one and invite the others, since most Klingons have never found out about this 'request' trick - they obviously have leveled to brigadier general in the kahless expanse. If they fail to team up or don't accept team invites at all, they are politely asking for a lot of flames, so please do so. Do not limit your expressions to socially acceptable insults.

In case you don't realize what the advantages are, go back to a) "Klingon Basic" or b) back to Starfleet.
But since you're probably a starfleet spy anyway, i'll elaborate:

The healers can not only see your shield and health status with a single glimpse, they can also see the distance you are away. That is especially important for the most powerful ability in the game, since extend shields only has a 5km range.
This is also good for you, when you're getting spanked, getting closer to your friendly neighborhood cruiser might be a smart idea. Battlecruisers, that is, as far as I know, starfleet doesn't have access to this ability or at least warp plasma/aceton field takes precedence (lol)

The second real big advantage is the remarkable ability to converse with what we call 'team chat'. With that we can actually communicate without you feds knowing which target we are going to focus on. Real neat, huh?

And if you're already teamed with your fiance or your best buddy ever - guess what - you can still invite some others or still dissolve and join another team, just for the match and team again later for whatever private things I don't care about you want to do in your team. Just for the match, TEAM UP FFS. Can't be that hard, can it?

The second half of the IWIN button:

#2)

This will bind a macro to your ALT key what you will communicate in the team channel while $target will be what is your current target. Be aware that there are two seperate control schemes, one for ground and one for space. So you have to be in your space ship to make this macro work. Of course you can exchange the text, i'd recommend to keep it short so it won't overflow on the chat window of those who play STO on their 16'' Monitors.

Feds, have fun getting your buddies to team so you can use this IWIN. If your PUGs manage to do this, there would be less whining about the perceived superiority of the Klingon ships... because it's a teamplay issue after all.
Too much text but I like you rattlesnake.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Too much text but I like you rattlesnake.
I'll color the important things for you.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzx
Nobody seems to appreciate my sense of humor. I thought it was pretty funny.
It wasn't - You are a legend in your own mind.

OP - thanks for that post - good info !
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzx
Nobody seems to appreciate my sense of humor. I thought it was pretty funny.

I know, no klingon wants to hear the truth, it will bruise their egos. Far better to believe that it's just their superior skill that's winning the day. And that somehow, 95% of feds are terrible players. I won't argue that there are some terrible players. And to be honest, I've never seen a bad klingon player, but that would be because their cloaked, lol. I got a million of em.

I could point out all the advantages klingons have, but lets be honest, you know what they are.
LOL! The biggest Klingon PvP players advantages are basic things like patience, understanding of the game, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyol View Post
There is a bug with this ability, either intentional or simply buggy - you can't increase shield power to compensate or your shields won't come up again at all.
This is ********. I always switch power to shields as soon as they fail through target subsystem (easily recognizable that suddenly all shields are away) and in 2 seconds shields are up again (with 2 eps flow consoles).

The drain still happens, so instead of 100 shield power you should have you end up with 15 or so, but shields are up. This is also the reason why you have to maintain this power setting until the debuff is gone, if you drop your shieldpower again the shields will fail again.

If you need an even faster solution try a shield battery. If you want more weapon energy, less shield, use emergency power to shields (or to weapons straight away, shield only helps if the drain is over 100), or the eng-captain skill, eps power something

EDIT: You can't apply attack pattern omega on allies and tractor beam isn't broken by science team.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I just tried to repair a damaged subsystem with Tactical Team, and nothing happened!

I seriously think the best way to avoid any problems with such systems going down is to keep a battery for the system you would least like to lose.

In my case shields.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
I love the post, but I think in order to get the Feds for instance, to read it you may need to take out a page in the Wall Street Journal for a week.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNotix1 View Post
I just tried to repair a damaged subsystem with Tactical Team, and nothing happened!

I seriously think the best way to avoid any problems with such systems going down is to keep a battery for the system you would least like to lose.

In my case shields.
tactical team doesn't restore subsystems...

to restore a subsystem you must devote more power to the system than it has draining against it. For instance, if the drain is -60 then you must have at least 61 power (total, not setting) to keep the system up.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-16-2010, 12:52 AM
If I can add a couple of things I've learned from testing various things on my Engi,

Directed Energy Modulation:
This skill is very misunderstood as its mechanics aren't very clear. First, its purported damage is only one fourth of what each Beam array will actually deal, as each array fires four attacks per normal cycle. This damage scales with both power level and %damage buffs, so its far stronger than it appears. Second, the -15% damage debuff is manipulatable if you understand how Beam damage and range work. At longer ranges, beams deal up to 40% less damage than they otherwise would, but this "debuff" is applied before others are. So, a 15% debuff at 10km is less of a penalty than at 3km (where damage is 100% of its potential). To make most effective use of DEM then, the player would need to stay at the limit of weapons range.

Obviously this is all much more complicated than what the skill says it does, but sadly it still is only rarely worthwhile. For greatest effectiveness, the player would need capped weapon power and damage buffs and be firing for the duration at a target 10km away that happens to have RSP up. To make matters worse, nothing I've found indicates that DEM II or III is any better than DEM I (and yes, after a recent patch DEM III is trainable now). It *can* be exactly what an alpha strike would need to finish someone off through RSP, but its so conditional there's really no point to even considering it right now.

Though there's not a whole lot better to choose from (unless you really feel like stacking RSPs).