Lt. Commander
# 11
04-15-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm stunned people are still implying that having an RA this far into the games life means you "rushed" somehow.

lolwut?

I'm a casual player - I'm only even able to play a few hours a week (maybe 5-6 or so) and even I have 2 RAs now.

If by rushing you mean did we not spend endless hours RPing or hovering over the exchange terminals (which I actually did do a fair bit) then I think you need to begin appreciating that those activities are

a) not everyones cup-of-tea in a game and
b) nor should you have to force yourself to do those things for fear that one day soon you might run out of conted too quick.

Most experimentation and optimising of your build is done as you level in this game. There is only a finite amount of time you can spend tweaking your set up.

I've already re-painted my vessels about 8 times!

To the OP: Right now if you don't like PvP (and MANY don't) then you have a Daily Cluster Mission, the Borg DSE or you can do the 3 STFs (which have to be done in order if you are patient enough to find decent teams for them). Also - you can try some of the Fleet Actions many of which are level gated now so you can do RA level ones.

Thats about it. The rest of the suggestions above are not content - they are just ways for you to sink time.

That said - my suggestion can only be "hold on". They are bringing out new content for Klingons in the next couple of months plus other content for Feds I hope (as part of Season 2), changes to Crafting - which may make it more fun, who knows - and other STFs.

Here's hoping that other systems and content come about for end game play too, as I sympathise with you.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLance View Post

Long story short: It's not the game that lacks new content, it's yourself who lacks ideas.
Ummm no. The game also lacks content - especially at end-game.

Thats broadly agreed, even by STOs biggest fans (of which I am one). You can continue your denial of this if you choose.

You can give people ideas on how to spend their time, sure. The fact is though, that there are a couple of Dailys, a DSE, 3 STFs and the level-gated Fleet Actions in terms of "mission" content once you hit RA.

Most of which are currently highly repetetive (I'm looking at you B'Tran Cluster) or more targetted at hardcore gamers with loads of time on their hands, in the case of the STFs (and even some of the Fleets Actions).

If you wish to say you think that is adequate, go ahead. I know a great many posters and players who would wholly disagree with you.

I'm a big fan of STO. I love the game. But there is a shortage of gameplay at RA whichever way you cut it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-15-2010, 03:26 AM
FWIW I think there's a lack of end-game content too (this is so obvious that it really goes without saying, which is why I didn't say it to begin with!). And the PvE content that does exist is utterly dull and uninspiring. But if you 50 hours a week playing the game it's going to be like that no matter what -- you're simply playing faster than the content can be produced.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Call me twisted, but.......even at RA5 I cruise around and revisit old spaces. I always try and see that which I didnt notice before.

Lt. Commander
# 15
04-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mise View Post
@Dyonas: I'm not trying to start an argument. It just seems as though you want STO to be a substitute for everything else you could be doing with your life. STO wasn't designed to be played for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week (or however long it is that you play it), so I don't think you should expect to be entertained by it for as long as that.
I play maybe 6 hours a week ( a couple of hours in the evening every couple days - very occasionally longer if I get some time)

I have 2 RAs now. And I have a fleet - and Fleet duties that I have performed along with way.

The suggestion that someones life is somehow lacking, is not really the direction the conversation should be going. Noone needs to do pyschological profiling of the OP.

Even if the OP had only a few more hours a week to play than I do he could have created 3RAs without much difficulty.

It took me months to get to level 50 in CoX. Around 3-4 if I remeber correctly. It took around 2-3 weeks of play to get to max-level in this game. Thats a fact. Based on the same pattern of play-time.

And however long it took the Op to GET to RA, he's pretty on-the-money regarding what there is to do at end-game.

Gamma is one of the busiest zones around now with many of the people I see there admiting to having more that one RA. So lets stop pretending that its such a shock that people have made it to RA in this game, shall we?

Lastly - whether the OP has 1,2 or 3 RAs - it doesn't change the fact that, even just playing one of them for the end game content means you are pretty quickly going to run out of new and interesting content to play.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Oberion
I play maybe 6 hours a week ( a couple of hours in the evening every couple days - very occasionally longer if I get some time)

I have 2 RAs now. And I have a fleet - and Fleet duties that I have performed along with way.

The suggestion that someones life is somehow lacking, is not really the direction the conversation should be going. Noone needs to do pyschological profiling of the OP.

Even if the OP had only a few more hours a week to play than I do he could have created 3RAs without much difficulty.

It took me months to get to level 50 in CoX. Around 3-4 if I remeber correctly. It took around 2-3 weeks of play to get to max-level in this game. Thats a fact. Based on the same pattern of play-time.

And however long it took the Op to GET to RA, he's pretty on-the-money regarding what there is to do at end-game.

Gamma is one of the busiest zones around now with many of the people I see there admiting to having more that one RA. So lets stop pretending that its such a shock that people have made it to RA in this game, shall we?

Lastly - whether the OP has 1,2 or 3 RAs - it doesn't change the fact that, even just playing one of them for the end game content means you are pretty quickly going to run out of new and interesting content to play.
I'm not pretending it's a shock - I play a lot more than you do (anywhere from 6-24 hrs a week, depends on how free my weekends are), but only have 1 max-lvl char because I really like playing her. For me, those options suggested -- try playing with different BOffs, different ships, different weapon/equipment loadouts -- are still a large part of the fun. If the OP is saying he's tried all of that, and tried it all on all 3 RA5s, then it's clear that he's played it far, far more than the game designers can realistically be expected to keep up with. The content is never going to be created as quickly as he can play it, and he's never going to be satisfied. The solution is simply to play STO less.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-15-2010, 03:42 AM
I cant believe people have that many characters at RA level

I play from about an hour or two every day and I have 1 character that just got promoted to Captain last night

to have 3 at the max I can only guess how quickly you blasted through all of the content ..

From what I understand and has been previosuly mentioned that there are daily missions etc to do and they are looking into the crafting side and other content / expansions ...

But i'd imaging you'd max all that out in less than a day and be on here the following day complaining there is no more content....

I know this is an MMO but I think some people assume that it means EVERLASTING...

even MMO's have limits and I guess you've reached them.....

i'm not starting a fight but I agree with MISE's comments.....

If there is nothign to do on STO ..... do somethign IRL its far more rewarding and actually REAL
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
So after hitting admiral we what...
Role-play!

...hey, you asked.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-15-2010, 03:50 AM
To be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the end-game content here, as well. The STFs just don't seem that engaging and the PvP doesn't really have much of a point to it other than standard arena combat. Also, once you're all decked out in mk. X purple gear there's no more rewards, which makes one feel sort of like you're on a treadmill since there's no more progression.
I just came from Warhammer Online, which didn't get boring at the end due to a separate PvP ranking system that went past the standard level cap of 40 to 80 and took FOREVER to max out. Even after maxing out your PvP level (which takes MONTHS of hard PvP grinding), you had to manage to fight through four zones, pass through two phases of your opponent's home city and then defeat your opponents king with around 50 other people for a *chance* to earn Sovereign gear (the "best" gear in the game). This kept the game moving for over a year with the two player factions warring back and forth across territory for a chance to earn gear through taking keeps and pushing to the enemy city. There was two problems with this system, though, one of which broke the game beyond repair and is the reason I'm here in the first place: Not everyone enjoys PvP and whichever side has the advantage will ALWAYS end up getting stronger as new players sign on to the winning team and those on the opposing side switch over or quit out of frustration. Warhammer got to the point where one side ended up with three times the population of the other side and could farm the king for Sovereign multiple times a day. There was just no way to compete with both an outrageous population AND gear advantage.
I would love to see this sort of system implemented (since the Federation and the Klingons are at war and all), but I'd also hate to see it implemented because I know it would just lead to the sort of faction-stacking that breaks games forever. If there were a way to implement an open RvR system while somehow preventing faction-stacking, this game would be amazing. Unfortunately, I remember reading in a dev interview that they flat-out refuse to add something like this, and probably for just that reason.

That's just one suggestion, though I know it'll never happen. Other than that, all I can see going in is more missions and STFs, but you can only do those so much before you just get sick of it. The combat and gameplay is great, but the content is a real issue right now. I really can't blame Cryptic for any of this, though, as they had to force this game out the door, but it's something they have to deal with. Even seeing a real storyline for the Klingons would help. There's an entire universe of source material to this IP that can be tapped to create new content, and Cryptic is working on it, but I'm just not sure if your everyday internet person is going to have enough patience to wait, especially with all the other MMOs available with even more coming.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-15-2010, 04:10 AM
"your everyday internet person is going to have enough patience to wait"

trek fans are not the everday internet person

trek fans will wait

they waited like 20 years for a movie and a new series after the original series was cancelled in 3 years

MMO is a dying art form

they will be replaced

they should change this site to be more fun. it is black and blue- white lettering- austere? serious?
makes no sense- put up a picture for christ's sake - are you stupid

sandbox and a lighter tone would go far- Ellison Wrote "city on the dege of forever" or whatever and
he is a bit of a humorist - kinda skipped "lore"

i saw an interview with a content guy on u tube-- old- did not really listen - however, i note that
he is not a very arty looking or sounding guy- more like a ultimate fighting fan or something