Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
04-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLance View Post
Since you put it this way: It does server a purpose to you which is quite obvious: You play games longer.

Besides that: Nobody forces you to do all missions over and over again.

My Engineer plays through all the missions, my tactical officer only does space combat, PVE and PVP, nothing else, my Scientist concentrates on gathering artifacts and stuff like that.

And even though my Engineer is RA doesn't mean he runs around with his Starcruiser. I still like my Defiant and it makes combat against the Borg a lot more demanding.

Long story short: It's not the game that lacks new content, it's yourself who lacks ideas.
No, nobody does force me to do the missions over and over again but some are done really well. I enjoy a lot of them but with each new alt I found myself levelling faster because I knew how to better kill things and survive. On my science character I was regularly fighting against +3 enemies and other times I had to go through the DSEs to reach the next level and the next batch of missions.

Ship preference can add an artificial level of difficulty and I have done similar in my Galaxy class but that only goes so far. As has been mentioned the game does lack new content and I'm aware it's coming in time. With regards to lacking ideas, before I saw this thread I had posted a very similar thread where I was asking what other people do in the hope that I'd see something to perk my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mise View Post
@Dyonas: I'm not trying to start an argument. It just seems as though you want STO to be a substitute for everything else you could be doing with your life. STO wasn't designed to be played for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week (or however long it is that you play it), so I don't think you should expect to be entertained by it for as long as that.
I don't expect STO to be my life or entertain me for any great length of time but you seem to forget that not everyone is in a position to do a lot through no fault of their own. I didn't particularly want to add this but it seems I'll have to in order to avoid further "why not do X with your life away from the computer?" comments. I'm pretty much stuck in the house 24/7 and I very much doubt I'm the only one in that position so yes, I play games to pass time and if they're good I play them more. You say you're not trying to start an argument so I'll take you at your word but as I said, keep in mind that everyone is different. Something that might be easy for you could be impossible for me or another person. I'm not playing for sympathy and I only brought it up because I disliked how I was being viewed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
04-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attacko
"your everyday internet person is going to have enough patience to wait"

trek fans are not the everday internet person

trek fans will wait

they waited like 20 years for a movie and a new series after the original series was cancelled in 3 years
The thing is, it seems to me that there's more MMO fans playing than star trek fans. I was never a Star Trek fan, but I really enjoy the gameplay, so I've stuck with it. I'd be playing even if it didn't have the Star Trek brand name attached.

Also: There's a Star Trek fan that's NOT an internet person?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
04-15-2010, 04:29 AM
I agree with Dark-Oberion and the OP on this one...

There is a problem with end-game content..

Even I play alot more then Dark is and I played WoW since launch for 4 years and even thou these two games are the complete opposite of each other there is one very distinct differance, and that is WoW from launch had almost and infinite amount of PVE content...

And that is a main issue no matter how many "first time MMO playing" ppl we have playing STO, theyve built the game to satisfy the big but yet minor community in MMO sence that JUST LOGS IN to hover around space earth dock and just RP from the point they hit admiral...

And that is NOT how a MMO is built up... I also think the fact that they are indeed trying to make decitions for us as in Im a tactical officer RA5 and wanna be in a cruiser WITH my tactical officers not being nerfed to the point that all my tactical skills is flushed doen the drain basicly since I cant use any of the better ones I can atctually train myself at the tactical stations on the assult cruiser... I can see that they want me to be in a Escort but I dont wanna be in a escort... And thats the exact point Im trying to make... The limited options for a multi functional build is not possible now and I cant solve that with either consoles or the MINOR skills I can find in random BOs or at the skills trainer... MANY other mmos that has failed AT LEAST thought about this and I commend them for that...

I can name several issues I have with the game but thats not the post for that at the moment...

In a big sense, I just think that they should have spent 6 more month creating a in comparision of what weve got to toy around with now a MUCH bigger PVE section due to the fact of the BIGGER community that are used to hardcore gaming...

I dont have the privilege of calling myself a trekkie, I never watched the series that much even thou I was quite a fan of the original series when that was on the air in Sweden several years ago... But never the less I left WoW for this becouse of that very very simple fact, Id longed for a space mmo and that is what STO is for me and many others plain and simple... Nothing more and nothing less...

And THAT is why several ppl are busting cryptics nuts about several issues including end game content in PVE in wich I stated that they should have spent much more time on the PVE content...

So served on a dish, hazzle me all you want but its the ugly truth...

I prolly wont be around here to read any comments you have about my oppinions but do fell free to use my arguments!

I feel for the MMO ppl that has been around for just as long as I have!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
04-15-2010, 04:36 AM
"The thing is, it seems to me that there's more MMO fans playing than star trek fans. I was never a Star Trek fan, but I really enjoy the gameplay, so I've stuck with it. I'd be playing even if it didn't have the Star Trek brand name attached."

Also: There's a Star Trek fan that's NOT an internet person?

lol

MMO-ing is its own thing you are probably right -more of them then trek fans
-on the boards- in game overall i am not sure
seems like both core groups would be getting older

more quitters, more ****ed off vets that become angry klingons looking to blow you up
a couple of new factions- all will be good for awhile

3 months is like a lifetime to me
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
04-15-2010, 04:39 AM
@Dyonas: FWIW, I appreciate that the tone of my post wasn't particularly constructive; I'm sorry for making it so personal. But the fact is, you seem to be playing the game faster than the developers can be reasonably expected to create new content. Yes, there is a major lack of end-game content, that much is obvious to (hopefully) everyone who got to RA5/BG5, but as I see it someone who seems to play as much as you do is always going to have this problem, simply because the developers aren't (or can't) create new content quickly enough.

The suggestions to try a variety of different builds etc was a good one for the majority of us - me included, and that's still where I derive pretty much all of my enjoyment from this game. If you've exhausted that then the solution is to simply do something else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SineAnimus
I agree with Dark-Oberion and the OP on this one...

There is a problem with end-game content..

Even I play alot more then Dark is and I played WoW since launch for 4 years and even thou these two games are the complete opposite of each other there is one very distinct differance, and that is WoW from launch had almost and infinite amount of PVE content...
This just made me realize something about the missions in this game. I think the reason there's so few missions in Star Trek is due to the fact that EVERY mission is built from the ground up. Every mission has it's own full zone. In other MMOs like WoW, you can pack ten levels of kill x creature missions in ONE zone that's not much larger than ONE Star Trek mission. The amount of time and money it would take to develop contained, instanced missions in the numbers that it would take to make a game the size of WoW would make the game neigh impossible to make a profit off of. To make a mission in WoW, you type one small page of instructions and send someone off to kill x creatures that already exist in the zone. To make a mission in Star Trek, you have to make an entirely new, full, level, populate it, write out a full storyline for the mission and then integrate it into the world. I think the problem, unfortunately, lies in the core structure of the game's instanced mission system. I'm just not sure if a game that's built in such a way can be as successful and as profitable as it has to be to keep itself sustained.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Change the instancing to perform like sandbox

i watched a show on the history channel about these guys at MIT that figured out the friction on a roullette ball and then won at roullette. ii am watching this thinking- damn- some people be smart

take the mechanic and delete- don't add

and take the stupid grid off- a grid by its defintion is putting up a border-

the exact opposite of "space"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
This just made me realize something about the missions in this game. I think the reason there's so few missions in Star Trek is due to the fact that EVERY mission is built from the ground up. Every mission has it's own full zone. In other MMOs like WoW, you can pack ten levels of kill x creature missions in ONE zone that's not much larger than ONE Star Trek mission. The amount of time and money it would take to develop contained, instanced missions in the numbers that it would take to make a game the size of WoW would make the game neigh impossible to make a profit off of. To make a mission in WoW, you type one small page of instructions and send someone off to kill x creatures that already exist in the zone. To make a mission in Star Trek, you have to make an entirely new, full, level, populate it, write out a full storyline for the mission and then integrate it into the world. I think the problem, unfortunately, lies in the core structure of the game's instanced mission system. I'm just not sure if a game that's built in such a way can be as successful and as profitable as it has to be to keep itself sustained.
That's true - the amount of instancing severely limits the developers' ability to make new content. Good post!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Oberion
I'm stunned people are still implying that having an RA this far into the games life means you "rushed" somehow.

lolwut?

I'm a casual player - I'm only even able to play a few hours a week (maybe 5-6 or so) and even I have 2 RAs now.

If by rushing you mean did we not spend endless hours RPing or hovering over the exchange terminals (which I actually did do a fair bit) then I think you need to begin appreciating that those activities are

a) not everyones cup-of-tea in a game and
b) nor should you have to force yourself to do those things for fear that one day soon you might run out of conted too quick.

Most experimentation and optimising of your build is done as you level in this game. There is only a finite amount of time you can spend tweaking your set up.
I agree completely! I'm a college student who's an extremely casual player. Playing for about 2 hours a day, I got to RA in 3 weeks. I did all of the main missions and actually read all of the dialogue, so I don't consider myself as having "rushed" through the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mise View Post
@Dyonas: I'm not trying to start an argument. It just seems as though you want STO to be a substitute for everything else you could be doing with your life. STO wasn't designed to be played for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week (or however long it is that you play it), so I don't think you should expect to be entertained by it for as long as that.
I understand where you're coming from, it's akin to somebody saying "Final Fantasy XIII is the shortest game ever, I beat it in 3 days" when he's played 3 days non-stop. But I feel STO is different because it's an MMORPG. We're paying them the $50 for the game and then additional $15 a month. For lifers, I'm expecting at least 4-5 Final Fantasy XIII's worth of content from this game, as that's what I paid. In my mind, I think all MMORPG's should be designed to accomodate any sort of player, even those that play at least 8+ hours a day. If an MMORPG isn't, that's like the equivalent of paying a subscription to a magazine with only 2 pages of content, and the publisher telling you "oh, you're only supposed to read for a minute a day, anymore, and you're reading too much."

Even among MMORPG's, I feel like STO is an exception because none of that $15 (okay, maybe 50 cents of it each month) goes to the bandwidth surcharge that is present in other MMORPG's. Atari/Cryptic is paying negligible amounts of money for bandwidth due to heavily restrictive instancing in this game (If you don't believe me, take a look at Guild Wars, Diablo II, or any Battle.net game - they don't charge monthly fees because of heavy instancing, and consequent lack of maintenance fees on part of the servers.) Since we're paying pretty much $15 a month exclusively for more content, I think it's only fair to expect an entire single-player games' (e.g. some RPG like FF13) worth of content every 4 months.

My final point is that in other MMORPG's (even the Asian grindfests), they at least give players the illusion of content through more gear to grind, etc. Even if it's only one sword, grinding 500+ hours for an "Excalibur" that's 70% more powerful than your "claymore" is something for the player to look forward to, and feels like an accomplishment once done. For us, we get the choice to grind 500+ hours for the equivalent of a "claymore +1" that's 2% better than our regular "claymore". Unlike the "Excalibur", the "claymore +1" has the same graphic and is exactly identical except an additional +1% chance to crit. I'll Pass.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urill
...start another character? They seem to have forgotten about game play beyond max level in this game. I could care less about PVP so if that is the only choice then this game is a complete failure. Let me guess, are we supposed to join a fleet and participate in chat role play while hovering outside Earth space dock. That sounds so exciting. Seriously I don't see what there's to do after hitting max level.
I think I can sympathize with the idea that endgame content may be lacking, but I think the severity of this problem is different for different players. Some people may be happy and others may not see much point in playing anymore after RA5. Players have different opinions about the game and no amount of debate will make them facts that are true for everyone.

My experience is rather limited because I have only played three MMOs SWG, EVE, and STO. What are the kinds of endgame content the majority of MMOs have 3 or 4 months after release that STO does not have that it should?

Take a look at what they have planned for the game in the coming months. If you do not like what they are doing and you are paying monthly then you should stop playing. Why waste your money on something you do not enjoy anymore.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.