Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120

Greetings Klingons,

I have a question for all of you!


Question:

Which Language would you like the Klingon Rank Structure in Star Trek Online to be displayed in?
  1. The Klingon Language.

  2. The Players First Language.

Please Note:
  • You can click HERE to see the Klingon Rank Structure in the Klingon Language!

  • You can click HERE to view the translations of the ranks.

Qapla'
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Are u kidding me?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3 I am not joking.
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
No I am not kidding, thank you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
1. Klingon Language

And I'm not kidding either. Nor whining, just for clarification...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5 Please Vote!
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
1. Klingon Language
Please click on the link provided at the top of the OP, and I'm sorry if I did not make it clear that you are able to vote.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6 Pre-emptive Strike!
04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
This post is here to counter anyones argument who thinks that players would not know what rank they are if the ranks for the Klingon Faction are converted into the Klingon Language.
  1. Players can look it up somewhere like here which may be fun for some players to do a little research on the Klingon Culture.

  2. Alternatively, the Devs could implement a tool tip that displays the rank name in English or the players first language, when the player hovers their mouse over the rank.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Since most of the fans aren't hardcore and don't speak Klingon I'd just as soon see it in First Language, but there could be an option to turn on Klingon if the person wanted. Also, we'd need to be careful what where the Klingon words came from. CBS might now own the rights to many of those names and using them might require royalties be paid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Since most of the fans aren't hardcore and don't speak Klingon I'd just as soon see it in First Language, but there could be an option to turn on Klingon if the person wanted. Also, we'd need to be careful what where the Klingon words came from. CBS might now own the rights to many of those names and using them might require royalties be paid.
That's great feedback Cosmic_One, right now though, this is simply a fun thread to establish how many Klingon players who use the forums would like to have the Klingon Rank Structure Displayed in the Klingon Language.

Also, I specifically typed up my last post to answer the question, what if a player does not know which rank they are?

I do like your idea for the language display of the ranks to be optional, that is a really great suggestion.

As for the law, I have no idea what so ever about that, all I know is that the community member qurgh posted the translations for me in this post, and he stated that the rank names come from a book called Klingon for the Galactic Traveller.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
As for the law, I have no idea what so ever about that, all I know is that the community member qurgh posted the translations for me in this post, and he stated that the rank names come from a book called Klingon for the Galactic Traveller.[/color]
Royalties are a massively tricky issue. Even some things that CBS/Paramount created for their shows require royalties. For example, Tom Paris was added to Voyager because they didn't want to play royalties to the writers who created Nicholas Locarno in TNG even though the same actor played them both.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10 Royalties.
04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Tom Paris was added to Voyager because they didn't want to play royalties to the writers who created Nicholas Locarno in TNG even though the same actor played them both.
I never knew that, thanks for sharing, and I was always curious about Robert Duncan McNeill playing two completely different character, after watching Masters of the Universe (1987) when I was a kid, I always thought he was realy cool to! LoL

So on topic, basically what you're saying is if the Klingon Langauge was used in STO, royalties may or may not have to be paid to Marc Okrand right?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 PM.