Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
First language - I've been playing Klingons for 15-20 years and never learned a word of the language.


Where are teh Klingon emotes? {{:-(
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12 Klingon Rank Titles.
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
First language - I've been playing Klingons for 15-20 years and never learned a word of the language.
Here are the translations for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
The following player rank titles should follow after the characters name and not come before the characters name, for example, Alecto HoD which translates to Captain Alecto.

Enlisted Officer Titles:
  • mang (Solider - Troops at this level don't have ranks).
  • bu' (Sergeant).
  • Da' (Corporal).


Commissioned Officer Titles:
  • ne' (Yeoman).
  • lagh (Ensign).
  • SoghHom (Lieutenant Junior Grade).
  • Sogh (Lieutenant).
  • la'Hom (Lieutenant Commander).
  • la' (Commander).
  • HoD (Captain).


Flag Officer Titles:
  • 'ech (Brigadier).
  • totlh (Commodore).
  • Sa' (General).
  • 'aj (Admiral).
  • yo' 'aj (Fleet Admiral).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Where are teh Klingon emotes?
If you look at this post, you will see that there are two Emote packs heading to the C-Store in the near future, if you would like specific emotes, you can suggest them in that same thread and if you like, you can also ask that the emotes you want should be for free.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14 The Publisher.
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Royalties are a massively tricky issue. Even some things that CBS/Paramount created for their shows require royalties.
I have sent a message to Simon & Schuster, Inc, the publisher of Marc Okrands books, to ask for details about royalties and received the following automated response.

"Thank you for contacting SimonandSchuster.com. We will respond to your inquiry within 3 5 business days."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Nothing in the game that needs to be read as text would ever be in the Klingon language. Only graphics. Putting text into the game that only die-hard fans who speak Klingon could read would be one more step in driving the stake into the heart of STO's subscriber base. At a time when STO is struggling to keep up a subscriber base, this is the last thing we'd want for it to draw in more subscribers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-15-2010, 12:52 PM
I voted Klingon language because since beta I have found it odd that they can promote tweeting in Klingon but the game has many things in the Federatiojnh language and rank for the KDF. At the very least the ranks and all other items should show in Klingon when possible and then have a small item next to it in that green color for game facing content that will explain what it is in english or federation..

it's probably too much work but this is what i would like.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17 Voice your Opinions and Vote!
04-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Greetings cipher_nemo!

In response to your post, all I have to say is that this is why I have allowed every player the option to vote in this thread, as every player has a difference of opinion, and just in case you missed it, there is also a Poll linked into the top of the OP, which every player is able to vote on, but just once.

If you read posts #6 and #7, you will find counter arguments to your post that are just as valid, and I also pre-empted your argument, but thank you for your feedback.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18 Cheers!
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
Iit's probably too much work but this is what i would like.
Thank you for your vote Lucky_13_X and btw, who cares if it's to much work for Cryptic right now, sure there are plenty of more important things to do, fix bugs, add more content etc, but this is simply a fun thread to see who would like the Klingon Rank Structure in the Klingon Language.

However, you never know, Cryptic may listen if enough Klingon players want the rank names changed, and then Cryptic may change all the rank names in the future, or maybe give players the option to switch between languages, who knows, but my point is that having doubts about something like this is not worth it, just enjoy the discussion and hey if you are a player who really would like to have the Klingon language in the game, then just have faith!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Nothing in the game that needs to be read as text would ever be in the Klingon language. Only graphics. Putting text into the game that only die-hard fans who speak Klingon could read would be one more step in driving the stake into the heart of STO's subscriber base. At a time when STO is struggling to keep up a subscriber base, this is the last thing we'd want for it to draw in more subscribers.
This is totally false. There are already numerous references to the language throughout the game. The most obvious being the name of the Klingon homeworld:

Qo'noS (Kronos)

This was created by Okrand.

Here's some more:

Hegh'ta BOP (should be Heghta', but Hegh = death, -ta' = accomplished)
QIn raptor (QIn = spear head)
vo' quv carrier (vo' = emperor, quv = be honoured)
pach raptor (pach = claw)
norgh BOP (norgh = shark-like creature)
qulDun BOP (qul = fire, Dun = be wonderful)
Somraw raptor (Somraw = muscle)

And that's just some of the ships. People seem to be dealing with those names without any issues. Why would ranks be all that different?

A rank is just a word that determines a persons position within a structure, it doesn't matter what those words are as long as you know where you are on the sliding scale. The only reason we understand Starfleet ranks is because they are based on Human ones. If Gene had created whole new words (maybe Vulcan ranks) then we would be familiar with them and would understand them.

I think the Klingon ranks should be in Klingon. People will very quickly figure them out, just as people figured out the names of the ships.

If anything this will attract more fans who want a more Klingon experience.

@STOBee: You've been in Klingon Fandom for 20 years and never learned a single word of Klingon? You don't know Qapla', Daqtagh (Dak'tagh), targh, betleH (batleth), tlhIngan (Klingon), ghargh (serpent worms), petaQ (petakh)? Every Klingon fans knows a few words in Klingon, simply watching the show does that. I would bet big money that every Star Trek fan on the planet knows at least one or two words of Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
So on topic, basically what you're saying is if the Klingon Langauge was used in STO, royalties may or may not have to be paid to Marc Okrand right?
I don't believe so. Rights for the language are (arguably) held by Paramount/CBS. Okrand get royalties from the books he wrote, but Paramount/CBS are free to use the language however they please. At least this is what Okrand told me at the qep'a' (Klingon Language Institutes conference) last year.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post

Greetings Klingons,

I have a question for all of you!


Question:

Which Language would you like the Klingon Rank Structure in Star Trek Online to be displayed in?
  1. The Klingon Language.

  2. The Players First Language.

Please Note:
  • You can click HERE to see the Klingon Rank Structure in the Klingon Language!

  • You can click HERE to view the translations of the ranks.

Qapla'
An interesting idea, and the role-player in me says to have things displayed in the Klingon language :p.

However, while I could live either way, it would be nice if the inconsistencies in the rank structures' displayed were fixed (i.e. Lt Commander and Rear Admiral for the Federation are actually Sergent and Brigadier General for the Klingons respectively, however they are displayed one way in some instances and the other in others....)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 AM.