Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
04-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
If you read posts #6 and #7, you will find counter arguments to your post that are just as valid, and I also pre-empted your argument, but thank you for your feedback.[/color]
There are ways to include the Klingon language without replacing text: images.

But to appease both sides, a better solution would be to have an option in the UI that lets players toggle Klingon language for names on and off. We don't have to go to one extreme or another to achieve balance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
I don't believe so. Rights for the language are (arguably) held by Paramount/CBS. Okrand get royalties from the books he wrote, but Paramount/CBS are free to use the language however they please. At least this is what Okrand told me at the qep'a' (Klingon Language Institutes conference) last year.
Well this sounds promising, but would it mean that Cryptic can use these Klingon words?

I imagine that Cryptic can use them considering that they have already used a number of Klingon words in the game which you have previously covered.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
An interesting idea, and the role-player in me says to have things displayed in the Klingon language :p.
I'm happy you like the idea, I hope you voted, and I'm thinking I'll take advantage of this voting thing and use it in the last thread in my sig also. LoL


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
However, while I could live either way, it would be nice if the inconsistencies in the rank structures' displayed were fixed (i.e. Lt Commander and Rear Admiral for the Federation are actually Sergent and Brigadier General for the Klingons respectively, however they are displayed one way in some instances and the other in others....)
I've been working on getting Cryptic to fix these issues since the 22nd of February, 2010, by using this thread and this thread, respectively, but still no replies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
A better solution would be to have an option in the UI that lets players toggle Klingon language for names on and off. We don't have to go to one extreme or another to achieve balance.
Indeed this would be a wonderful option to have in game, thank you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
There are ways to include the Klingon language without replacing text: images.

But to appease both sides, a better solution would be to have an option in the UI that lets players toggle Klingon language for names on and off. We don't have to go to one extreme or another to achieve balance.
As a programmer I'd have to disagree. Localization is done with text, not images. Strings are split out into separate language files. The program loads all these strings into an array and fetches the correct language strings as need be. Text is much smaller to store on disk than images, so this form of localization is the most efficient and commonplace in today's programming world.

It's also easier to create the images on the fly from the localized text when needed in the application.

I would love to see a Klingon language version of the game that I could switch to. It's unlikely to happen though, as it would only be useful for a handful of players. If Cryptic allowed that handful of players to translate it though, I would definably help in such an endeavor.

Klingon ranks on the other hand would just add to the enjoyment and give the Klingon players the feeling that the Klingons aren't just Feds with different skins, that Cryptic really does want to make each Empire unique and special.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24 Errors...
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Well I didn't know you were a programmer qurgh, which is really cool, I've done very basic work with the Python programming language on Bridge Commander, but anyway, from the research I did in this thread, I found multiple errors (Click to View) in the Klingon Rank Structure and I really did feel like the Klingon Rank Structure was basically just a copy of the Fed Rank Structure with minimal edits, as well as mistakes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
As a programmer I'd have to disagree. Localization is done with text, not images. Strings are split out into separate language files. The program loads all these strings into an array and fetches the correct language strings as need be. Text is much smaller to store on disk than images, so this form of localization is the most efficient and commonplace in today's programming world.
First of all, I am a programmer as well. Visual Studio with C# and .NET managed code for both web and form/wpf apps. Second of all, you took what I said and extrapolated your own meaning beyond anything I mentioned. I was talking about having the Klingon ranks in Klingon for images (since that doesn't change), and keeping the rank text the same (with localization from whatever method they use).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
First of all, I am a programmer as well. Visual Studio with C# and .NET managed code for both web and form/wpf apps. Second of all, you took what I said and extrapolated your own meaning beyond anything I mentioned. I was talking about having the Klingon ranks in Klingon for images (since that doesn't change), and keeping the rank text the same (with localization from whatever method they use).
This whole conversation is about changing the names of the Klingon ranks. These are strings within the game (up in the top left corner of the HUD). So we are talking about changing strings and you suddenly say we should do it with images. Hence the confusion and my reply.

What are these "images" you speak of? I still don't understand what you are suggesting. Can you explain?

As a programmer I do LAMP development mainly but I also have a couple of webOS apps out there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Here are the translations for you.
Ah, after 15-20 years of not learning any Klingon why start now? I did look at your link, it's all Greek to me.


Regarding the "Klingon emotes" I spoke of:

a. The C-store emotes listed as coming are Federation emote packs. No emotes for Klingons! {{:-(

b. I should have said Klingon "emoticons". {{:-o
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Ah, after 15-20 years of not learning any Klingon why start now? I did look at your link, it's all Greek to me.
Because it's a core concept of what being a Klingon is! {{:-D

From John Ford's komerex klinzhai (the structure that grows) to Okrand's mataHmeH maSachnIS (To survive we must expand). It's been embedded in Klingon culture since the very beginning. We must strive to the best Klingon we can be!

This will be my 17th year in Klingon fandom (KAG Demonfleet/Cold Steel Quadrant) and I'm still learning new things. tlhIngan jIH!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
As much as I like the idea, what good will this poll do OP since it's not even an official Cryptic poll? They will not even see this poll.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
So we are talking about changing strings and you suddenly say we should do it with images. Hence the confusion and my reply.

What are these "images" you speak of? I still don't understand what you are suggesting. Can you explain?
Nope, you're extrapolating more than I said.

I mentioned that for aesthetics to please those wanting Klingon names for ranks. Images can be displayed anywhere in the UI, just as ship images are now displayed in the inventory/status panel for aesthetics. Rank in the form of text doesn't need to have anything to do with images.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 PM.