Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
I always felt that sector space was a nice mix of Stellar Cartography (TNG films) and Astrometic views (Voyager). Very Star Trek, in my opinion. Though some have suggested they might enjoy an additional option of turning off the gridlines and such. Which, IMO, would be fine for those who don't enjoy the default style.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-15-2010, 11:38 PM
IMHO, they need to go the other direction and hammer home that Sector Space is a space simulation by having your captain standing in the middle of it on a platform ala astrometrics/stellar cartography... and then add warp travel/helm navigation as an alternative neavigation approach, each with benefits and drawbacks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-16-2010, 01:37 AM
I have to agree. I do like the Sector Space concept, but I think I would enjoy Sector Space more if I could turn the grids off and the cartoonish/bad quality system icons and turn it into open black space (and the nebulas) and realistic (and varied) system icons. If it's a binary star system, I ought to see the binary stars. If it's a red giant and a white dwarf, we ought to see those two stars.

Then, when we got to the block borders, we should have an "Immediate Warp" option that if we have it set, if we go too far beyond the border in that direction, it automatically sends us to the next block.

When that happens, I think it should go to that "ship flying through warp" graphic instead of the loading screen, followed by us being deposited in the next sector AND WE SHOULD BE MOVING as before.

The current setup, where you're flying at maximum warp across sector space, and you get that stupid "Would you like to Warp?" question screen, then you say yes, and get deposited in the next sector completely stopped and pointed in a different direction is just hokey. If I'm bearing 215 at max warp, when I show up in the next block, I ought to be bearing 215 and at max warp again.

And then when you go to a system, have the loading graphic between Sector and System be the same "ship flying through warp" animation, that then leads into the "warp into system" animation.

These things alone would go a HUGE way to improving the inter-system behavior of the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-16-2010, 02:01 AM
You guys say this, and i can tell you right now the reason they wont turn it off. 1/3 of you will throw up. Most of the nebula and things that appear to move are like wallpaper around space. With the limited objects in sector, there would be very little, allowing you to sense that you were moving.

I assume, that since the reason there are nebula in every part of known space, and asteroid rings around an absurdly large amounts of planets, is that too many people get motion sick, that doing so in sector space would end up with the same result.



Personally, i think people should just get used to it, like every other gamer ever, did. However, since that has to be one of their reasons, i doubt theyll ever change it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithToker
You guys say this, and i can tell you right now the reason they wont turn it off. 1/3 of you will throw up. Most of the nebula and things that appear to move are like wallpaper around space. With the limited objects in sector, there would be very little, allowing you to sense that you were moving.

I assume, that since the reason there are nebula in every part of known space, and asteroid rings around an absurdly large amounts of planets, is that too many people get motion sick, that doing so in sector space would end up with the same result.



Personally, i think people should just get used to it, like every other gamer ever, did. However, since that has to be one of their reasons, i doubt theyll ever change it.

I disagree...try to look past the grid and past all the bright non space functions in sector space...and you will notice around three times the amount of space dust than in normal space. It actually gives a slight (Although could be for sure better) feel of stars flying by. Besides, EvE's space is three times as complicated, and I never felt sick playing that game...

But let's say for one moment you are correct in *everything you say*...this is the very reason it would be an option, not mandatory. It gives the player to *choose* his surroundings. If people get sick, fine, leave the option off. If you can handle it, good, turn the option on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16 grid . must. go.
04-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithToker
1/3 of you will throw up. Most of the nebula and things that appear to move are like wallpaper around space. With the limited objects in sector, there would be very little, allowing you to sense that you were moving.

t.
wrong.
I hate the grid as well.
I want to "believe" that I fly through space and not hover across a chess board.
therefore I fly upwards as far as i can and then turn the camera view angle tilting upwards, so i look away from the grid. hence, i see sector space without the grid, but with all the rest. (turning down brightness to minimum also helps)
its beautifully 3d, stars fly by and it gives the impression of vastness.

therefore i agree:
give us an option to turn the grid and the sticks OFF /you did it for the shield rings, no? why not the grid as well.

ah, and territory borders and such will still be visible, since the backdrop nebula has the same color as the faction anyways. no need for a colored grid.

I also agree that the sector border walls should be dumped altogether. playing in a shoe box is neither "astrometic" nor immersive in any way
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
I always felt that sector space was a nice mix of Stellar Cartography (TNG films) and Astrometic views (Voyager). Very Star Trek, in my opinion. Though some have suggested they might enjoy an additional option of turning off the gridlines and such. Which, IMO, would be fine for those who don't enjoy the default style.
that is the way i look at it. i always assume its a sort of map overview of our progress through space rather than being space.

i must admit i have no problem with the grid but i dont like the blue shipping lanes and the sticks holding the systems up. they look a liitle odd


an option to turn some or all off would be welcome
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOTR.the.funny.hamster
wrong.

therefore I fly upwards as far as i can and then turn the camera view angle tilting upwards, so i look away from the grid. hence, i see sector space without the grid, but with all the rest. (turning down brightness to minimum also helps)
its beautifully 3d, stars fly by and it gives the impression of vastness.

Glad I am not the only person who does that, it's actually beautiful. That damn grid does nothing but take away from the beauty of the person who designed sector space. It's actually sad, because the designer of Sector Space (Minus the grid) did a 100% better job than whoever done the actual mission space IMO. (sorry if it's the same person, but it's true, heh)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithToker
You guys say this, and i can tell you right now the reason they wont turn it off. 1/3 of you will throw up. Most of the nebula and things that appear to move are like wallpaper around space. With the limited objects in sector, there would be very little, allowing you to sense that you were moving.

I assume, that since the reason there are nebula in every part of known space, and asteroid rings around an absurdly large amounts of planets, is that too many people get motion sick, that doing so in sector space would end up with the same result.



Personally, i think people should just get used to it, like every other gamer ever, did. However, since that has to be one of their reasons, i doubt theyll ever change it.
This is exactly it, even if it may or may not be 1/3, before they added the grid it was just a black void and people actually felt unwell after going thought it (according to the devs) so they added shineys to make it better and to prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
I disagree...try to look past the grid and past all the bright non space functions in sector space...and you will notice around three times the amount of space dust than in normal space. It actually gives a slight (Although could be for sure better) feel of stars flying by. Besides, EvE's space is three times as complicated, and I never felt sick playing that game...

But let's say for one moment you are correct in *everything you say*...this is the very reason it would be an option, not mandatory. It gives the player to *choose* his surroundings. If people get sick, fine, leave the option off. If you can handle it, good, turn the option on.
still you got alot more orientation points in there AND it is build up differently. Besides eve and sto are two fundamentally different games.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-16-2010, 03:11 AM
I agree.

Sector space needs to look like space. Those instances need to be larger, the walls need to be invisible, and the grids and lollipops need to go.

Many people have complained that this game doesn't feel "vast", like Eve Online does. I believe that the appearance of sector space is a major reason for that. The other reason being that both sector space and the system instances are too small. People don't feel like they're flying around in the vastness of space, they feel like they're flying around inside of a shoebox.

Now Cryptic simply can't get rid of the instancing in this game, and I do not believe that the game would be better if they did. However, visual cues that serve no purpose other than to remind us that we're flying around inside of a box do not contribute positively to the game, and many people have stated this as the reason or one of the reasons that they're quitting the game.

So it is my belief that not only should sector space be remade to look like space, but that all of the space zones should also be considerably enlarged.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.