Lt. Commander
# 21
04-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I agree.

Sector space needs to look like space. Those instances need to be larger, the walls need to be invisible, and the grids and lollipops need to go.

Many people have complained that this game doesn't feel "vast", like Eve Online does. I believe that the appearance of sector space is a major reason for that. The other reason being that both sector space and the system instances are too small. People don't feel like they're flying around in the vastness of space, they feel like they're flying around inside of a shoebox.

Now Cryptic simply can't get rid of the instancing in this game, and I do not believe that the game would be better if they did. However, visual cues that serve no purpose other than to remind us that we're flying around inside of a box do not contribute positively to the game, and many people have stated this as the reason or one of the reasons that they're quitting the game.

So it is my belief that not only should sector space be remade to look like space, but that all of the space zones should also be considerably enlarged.
You might want to think about that the space you are looking at, is supposed to be the view of looking at it from your computer console in your ready room.

Seriously how can your eyes be outside of your ship oh omnipotent one
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-16-2010, 03:21 AM
No. This game is played from a third person perspective.

The camera allows me to view my character or my ship. And just as the cameraman doesn't exist in the movies so he doesn't exist in the game. The camera is there to allow me to see what is happening.

Viewing my ship from the outside and she travels along through space, just as they do in the TV shows/movies, is what I would like to see.

I'm not going to be like some immature forum posters and claim to speak for everybody, or most players, or any of that kind of nonsense. I am speaking only for myself. What I have stated is my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-16-2010, 03:23 AM
I like the way it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-16-2010, 03:29 AM
I'd like to be standing on the bridge, looking at my ship's avatar flying through sector space on an LCARS panel or on main viewer. That would be much more immersive than anything else, because that's actually what Star Trek captains do... At the moment, I have to make-believe that I'm on the bridge, instructing my officers to plot a course to XYZ system etc.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-16-2010, 03:56 AM
I'd be happy if they took the parameters of Zeta Andromedae Sector Space (which are simply gorgeous!) and applied them to every sector in the game. Zeta Andromedae is filled with stars and looks like deep space.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-16-2010, 04:57 AM
agreed give us the choose to turn it off and the blue highway
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-16-2010, 05:30 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Given the responses of the devs, I doubt they'll ever change it. We'll just have to get used to it.

I love how people want to play space games but don't actually want to feel like they're in space.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I don't know about the devs, but I can tell you, I do not think it just looks plain silly. I like it.
Going to be honest and say I think it looks silly too. Sector space doesn't need such bright, neon grids and sticks holding up the systems. It's a little silly to go from a cartoonish sector space to some of the beautifully done space maps once you enter a system.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
Like I said, I know there are people who actually like it. All the more reason to give us the option to shut it down. But I am willing to put my neck out there and say that the majority of players both in game and on these boards are not all that fond of it.

P.S. to the poster beneath the one quoted, yeah, I agree with you there. I know exactly why they did it and all the reasons behind it. Does not make people who hate it like it any better, I can assure you.
I do agree it should be an option to turn it off. Personally I like it and most people I've played with do too. But I would like the toggle so I can take better screen shots in Sector space.
I also want the ability to edit what is shown in sector space as well.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOTR.the.funny.hamster
wrong.
I hate the grid as well.
I want to "believe" that I fly through space and not hover across a chess board.
therefore I fly upwards as far as i can and then turn the camera view angle tilting upwards, so i look away from the grid. hence, i see sector space without the grid, but with all the rest. (turning down brightness to minimum also helps)
its beautifully 3d, stars fly by and it gives the impression of vastness.

therefore i agree:
give us an option to turn the grid and the sticks OFF /you did it for the shield rings, no? why not the grid as well.

ah, and territory borders and such will still be visible, since the backdrop nebula has the same color as the faction anyways. no need for a colored grid.

I also agree that the sector border walls should be dumped altogether. playing in a shoe box is neither "astrometic" nor immersive in any way
Hold on, they gave us an option to turn off the shield rings? When?