Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1051
12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenking
I've been playing Dark Eldar since pretty much they were first released. How do you feel about the new ones?
They're pretty interesting. The new models are awesome, which gives me good feelings about the Grey Knights coming out next year (I ALMOST went with them instead of regular Space Marines, which would have likely consigned me to years of obsolesce, so phew). I picked up a couple boxes of them for some painting experiments, but I don't plan on doing much more with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
iS IT TRUE THEY LIMITED THE FACTIONS IN THE NEW 40K MMO CONCEPT?
No. They haven't said anything about factions yet beyond vague "Order and Disorder" statements that likely won't reflect the final makeup of the game. Based on footage and pictures released thus far, we know Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Orks, and Chaos Marines are in it (and possibly Adeptus Mechanicus). I imagine it'll be closer to the actual free-for-all nature of the table-top, rather than the "Good vs. Evil sides" dynamic WAR had, as 1: 40K is much more morally ambiguous than Fantasy, and 2: A two-faction PvP system has been proven time and time again to be a Very Bad Thing.

Of course, that's assuming there's any PvP at all. Probably will be, but...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
*shivers* I maintain that a 40k MMO should have used the Necromunda background. Or maybe the Imperial Guard. But Marines? I can already already see bunnyhopping Astartes yelling "lololol" in zone chat.
Meh. I doubt it'll be any worse than any other MMO. Yeah, it'll probably suck for the first few months, but once all the kiddies get bored and leave, we'll be better off. You don't see too many weirdos like that here in STO any more, right?


Speaking of which, I plan on putting in an application with Vigil soon. They've got an opening for a Level Designer position on DMO, which is pretty much right up my alley (as that's what I've got the most experience with in terms of game development, other than writing and production). Gonna see if I can get something really good made in the Foundry to use as sample work, too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1052
12-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
How I would do a 40k MMO...

Starting factions will be the Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Orks, Chaos, Eldar, Sisters of Battle, and Tau. You choose your faction, gender in some cases, and customize your character choosing uniform colors, a few accessories, and then it dumps you into the tutorial. You start as an entrant of the respective factions. Space Marines start as a Scout, Imperial Guardsmen as a fresh recruit, etc.

There is no specific 'class' per se. Instead as you level up you pick new skills as as you reach a certain level or complete mission you get access to choose new skill trees and abilities. In this way, you could start as a lowly Guardsman and work your way up to a Captain or Commissar or perhaps even an Inquisitor or Psyker, to use the Guard as an example.

Among those abilities would be adding additional soldiers to your 'squad'. These soldiers are added either as standard leveling up bonuses (such as reach level 5 and get another squad member) or as skill purchases. A large part of the game balance will be these additional squad members. Imperial Guardsmen for example will not individually be able to stand up to a Space Marine, but an Imperial Guard PC will probably also have a good number of pet Imperial Guard squad members he can command. Depending on your level and faction, you can potentially add more soldiers to your command.

And as an added perk this mechanic will improve the relation of the game to the boardgame source.

Why not Tyranids or Necrons? I haven't played much 40k aside from DoW 1 & 2, but aside from orcs tyranids are my favorite.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1053
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
Why not Tyranids or Necrons? I haven't played much 40k aside from DoW 1 & 2, but aside from orcs tyranids are my favorite.
Tyranids and Necrons are much less independent then the other factions. A Necron or Tyranid Warrior has almost no personality or individual thought, very much like the Borg in Star Trek. Playing an 'independent' or Necron or Tyranid would be problematic to explain on a canon level. Thus they would be present, but as NPCs for the PC factions to fight.

And it gives a reason to justify an expansion.

And while I know someone will come in and say 'well some Tyranids and Necrons have personalities and aren't the mindless monsters and soulless abominations the rest are'. These individuals are rare and the vast, overwhelming bulk are the monsters and abominations.

A little more on my idea...

The 'game world' would actually be a subsector of a dozen or so 'planets of interest', each with several zones. This would allow a wide diversity of battlegrounds to fight over. One world would be a Death World, there would be an Ice World, a Feudal World, another a Hive World, perhaps a Forge World thrown in, etc.

Thought that would cool. Oh, and the Hive World has a zone outside the Hive, then like four zones corresponding to going up a Hive. Rather like Grandville from City of Heroes for those interested.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1054
12-11-2010, 12:13 AM
well that makes sense I suppose. Can't have a whole bunch of necron lords and hive tyrants running around....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1055
12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
well that makes sense I suppose. Can't have a whole bunch of necron lords and hive tyrants running around....
At least not at the start. Following the pattern with the other factions in my idea where you would start as a Space Marine Scout, Guard Conscript, Chaos Cultist, Eldar Guardian, Tau Shas'la, Ork Boy, or Dark Eldar Warrior.

There are lower ranking Necrons and Tyranids, but few have an independent thought process beyond feral instincts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1056
12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Among those abilities would be adding additional soldiers to your 'squad'. These soldiers are added either as standard leveling up bonuses (such as reach level 5 and get another squad member) or as skill purchases. A large part of the game balance will be these additional squad members.
Heh, yes, this idea has been thrown around a lot on /tg/, too.
In terms of squad management, I guess STO is a good example already - though the AI could use improvement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Meh. I doubt it'll be any worse than any other MMO. Yeah, it'll probably suck for the first few months, but once all the kiddies get bored and leave, we'll be better off. You don't see too many weirdos like that here in STO any more, right?
True, true, on all accounts. I still see enough weirdos, but ... well, you just grow used to such things with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Speaking of which, I plan on putting in an application with Vigil soon. They've got an opening for a Level Designer position on DMO
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
And while I know someone will come in and say 'well some Tyranids and Necrons have personalities and aren't the mindless monsters and soulless abominations the rest are'. These individuals are rare and the vast, overwhelming bulk are the monsters and abominations.
Well, given that we're talking about MMOs - and MMOs usually **** the canon of their parent franchise (see WoW, STO, TOR) - it would probably be rather easy to find an "excuse" for that. Either by adding to gaps in the fluff or by inventing new stuff that (ideally) fits to the existing material.

For example, were I a developer, I could imagine tapping into the Genestealer fluff by declaring player characters to be 5th Generation Purestrain Genestealers, operating independently from the Hive Fleet. In the official fluff, they have a localized Brood Mind instead of a link to the Hive Mind, which gets disrupted should the Genestealer Patriarch be killed... so I would say that this is what happens and now every player Genestealer can try to establish himself as the new Patriarch or form his own Genestealer Cult by infecting victims among the planet's population. This would utilize the IG squad system by allowing the player to selectively breed different strains of Hybrids who then act as "pets".
In addition to this, the player character could purchase traits to receive "support" from Hive units in the vicinity. Otherwise he'd just get ignored by them, but could try to link up with a swarm of NPCs and join their regular, timed attacks on the holdouts of the other factions - PvPvE, so to say.

Come to think of it, this idea is pretty close to how things already work with Tyranids, so it wouldn't even really change things as much as BC Blood Elves, WotLK Deathknights or Cataclysm NE Mages did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
The 'game world' would actually be a subsector of a dozen or so 'planets of interest', each with several zones. This would allow a wide diversity of battlegrounds to fight over.
Ahh, yes. I always thought something like the Kaurava system would be perfect for this. I did like the different zones there, and combining a weak IG presence with local Ork clans and Necron ruins as well as an Eldar incursion seemed like a rather clever pretense to get all factions together - as clever as possible with a goal such as this, anyways. On the other hand, you could probably utilize the Calixis Sector to connect the game to the Dark Heresy line.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1057
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Heh, yes, this idea has been thrown around a lot on /tg/, too.
In terms of squad management, I guess STO is a good example already - though the AI could use improvement...
It came up on the B&C a bunch too, and seems to be the kind of system most people want for "realistic" battles. I don't have too many problems with the AI in STO here, my BOs are usually pretty competent.



Quote:
Well, given that we're talking about MMOs - and MMOs usually **** the canon of their parent franchise (see WoW, STO, TOR) - it would probably be rather easy to find an "excuse" for that. Either by adding to gaps in the fluff or by inventing new stuff that (ideally) fits to the existing material.
WoW, well, they started doing that with WC3. STO, ehh, there's been some pokes at it, but nothing that'd constitute **** for me. TOR, can't comment, don't know anything about it.


Quote:
Come to think of it, this idea is pretty close to how things already work with Tyranids, so it wouldn't even really change things as much as BC Blood Elves, WotLK Deathknights or Cataclysm NE Mages did.
That all actually sounds like a decent idea.

NE Mages in Cataclysm? Heh heh.


Quote:
Ahh, yes. I always thought something like the Kaurava system would be perfect for this. I did like the different zones there, and combining a weak IG presence with local Ork clans and Necron ruins as well as an Eldar incursion seemed like a rather clever pretense to get all factions together - as clever as possible with a goal such as this, anyways. On the other hand, you could probably utilize the Calixis Sector to connect the game to the Dark Heresy line.
I'd be VERY surprised if DMO is limited to a single planet. While interplanetary travel will probably be automated, the game would just be so much better and allow for a vastly better scope of conflict and scenery if it were spread across several planets.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1058
12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
i'm getting conflicting reports on this, can someone confirm.
if i have the blood angels codex, do i need the space marine codex aswell? or is the blood angel stand alone?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1059
12-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
i'm getting conflicting reports on this, can someone confirm.
if i have the blood angels codex, do i need the space marine codex aswell? or is the blood angel stand alone?
It would be wise to have both, even if you only play Blood Angels, as they are similar to the original Codex.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1060
12-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
It would be wise to have both, even if you only play Blood Angels, as they are still bound by the original Codex.
No, they're completely separate. You only use one at a time to play a game. They just happen to be 90% similar, so it's easy to switch lists without really needing to buy a whole new range of models to do it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM.