Lt. Commander
# 101
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
I've just had a thought about STO ground combat. Now I don't get many of these due to senility in old age .

STO ground combat suffers from the lack of being able to use the terrain as a shield, or at least thats what it looks like. If I hide behind a rock I still get shot as if I was jumping up and down in the open shouting shoot me. Anyhow, as usual 40k has the answer. It's been a few years since I last played a game of it but remember you used to get a bonus for being in or near cover.

Couldn't they somehow do that for STO, so if your near a tree trunk you get a buff to make the enemy shots less accurate. The further from the object the less buff.
LoS actually is taken into account, it's just that a lot of the terrain geometry doesn't actually break it which is annoying as hell. Basically it's a guessing game as to which rock about the size of your character will break LoS and which won't.
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
oooohhhh the table top version XD the table top version is awesome =3 i play it sometimes =D, i actually use original warhammer figures in my D&D sessions for battle purposes, adds a whole new lvl to gameplay >_>, i thought we were refering to the online game version >_>;
There is no online game version.

Unless you're referring to the multiplayer capabilities of the Dawn of War games.

Which isn't really an online version, so to speak. Just... online multiplayer.
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
There is no online game version.

Unless you're referring to the multiplayer capabilities of the Dawn of War games.

Which isn't really an online version, so to speak. Just... online multiplayer.
oh, it looked like it was an online >_>. i coulda sworn there was an mmorpg version of wh40k >_< i shall need to return to futureshop and double check.
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
oh, it looked like it was an online >_>. i coulda sworn there was an mmorpg version of wh40k >_< i shall need to return to futureshop and double check.
Nope, sadly.

I'd much rather play a 40k MMO than Warhammer Online... Hmm. Would it be possible to include character archetypes with widely varying levels of power, like Space Marine and Imperial Guardsman, with fidelity? What if they took the NPC squad concept to another level and gave you a varying number per class and level? Then, say, a Space Marine would be running around on their own, while an Imperial Guard PC would be commanding a squad or whole platoon, and a Techpriest would have a few Servitors...
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Not yet........
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
LoS actually is taken into account, it's just that a lot of the terrain geometry doesn't actually break it which is annoying as hell. Basically it's a guessing game as to which rock about the size of your character will break LoS and which won't.
Yeah I noticed that. They are probably working on improving it just trying to get all the other stuff right first

Would be cool to see an auto roll for damage done that you can see onscreen. So you know how much you need to be behind cover.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Nope, sadly.

I'd much rather play a 40k MMO than Warhammer Online... Hmm. Would it be possible to include character archetypes with widely varying levels of power, like Space Marine and Imperial Guardsman, with fidelity? What if they took the NPC squad concept to another level and gave you a varying number per class and level? Then, say, a Space Marine would be running around on their own, while an Imperial Guard PC would be commanding a squad or whole platoon, and a Techpriest would have a few Servitors...
40k online is in development.
Lt. Commander
# 108
05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
man i totally wish i could buy the starter kit, i havde the money, but i know they'd just sit on my shelf and never get used -hangs head- i bought some rc ww2 tanks model kits that i used for like a week and then lacking any type of companionship to enjoy said tanks with, they just sit on my shelf =[ and i feel bad about wasting the $300 for the models D=

and i'd have to buy more paint =/ and some new paint brushes, and i'd probably botch the painting coz i fail at painting, and i'd feel good about doing an awesome job for a week, then get depressed that nobody to play with
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh reminds me. Saint I tried that new Citadel Airgun. Works quite well, nice even coat of paint and even does some cool shading even though it's more designed for large scale base coating.

Tried it on my Bird of Prey Model I got and it's working pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
man i totally wish i could buy the starter kit, i havde the money, but i know they'd just sit on my shelf and never get used -hangs head- i bought some rc ww2 tanks model kits that i used for like a week and then lacking any type of companionship to enjoy said tanks with, they just sit on my shelf =[ and i feel bad about wasting the $300 for the models D=
Go to hobby shop
Ask if they host a 40k group
If not, ask if you can start one
Place ads and flyers OR join existing group
Fun ensues.