Lt. Commander
# 141
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
On metal models, Ravenstein uses a white base coat that I lightly spray on to help the paint 'stick' better. Then I apply my primary coats with a brush. Plastics don't have that issue so I just apply my primary coats. Then I start adding detail. For this I use small and smaller brushes. Then I put the guy together and do any touch up work.

I usually get the guy about half together before assembling. Legs and torso together, rest separate.

Guard uses a lot of plastic guys.
Lt. Commander
# 142
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
do you apply a solid base color (like blue) and then paint over base color (like white for the eyes) or do you try and leave as much paint off of areas where you're adding different colors as possible? >_>;
Lt. Commander
# 143
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
do you apply a solid base color (like blue) and then paint over base color (like white for the eyes) or do you try and leave as much paint off of areas where you're adding different colors as possible? >_>;
Well that's one of the advantages of waiting to assemble after you have the parts painted. I use a blue or green undercoat on my soldier's bodies, white on the backpack and gear, and fleshtone on the head.

But on guys who are already mostly assembled like a lot of metal, I go with the primary body color as my base, the blue or green.

I don't use GW paints, instead I use Reaper Master Paints which I have found to be just as good but a bit cheaper.
Lt. Commander
# 144
05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Well that's one of the advantages of waiting to assemble after you have the parts painted. I use a blue or green undercoat on my soldier's bodies, white on the backpack and gear, and fleshtone on the head.

But on guys who are already mostly assembled like a lot of metal, I go with the primary body color as my base, the blue or green.

I don't use GW paints, instead I use Reaper Master Paints which I have found to be just as good but a bit cheaper.
that didn't answer the question at all DX
i'll give an example! ^_^

if you were painting a panda would you paint the whole enitre body black and then apply the white over top of the black, or would you paint the parts that are black, black and the parts that are white white, with as little over lapping of colors as possible and without applying a different color ontop another color.
Lt. Commander
# 145
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
blah i hate you all, i'm sopose to be saving up for an sto life sub, i do not need to be spending $200 on a board game DX argh!!! -flails- >_<
Lt. Commander
# 146
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
that didn't answer the question at all DX
i'll give an example! ^_^

if you were painting a panda would you paint the whole enitre body black and then apply the white over top of the black, or would you paint the parts that are black, black and the parts that are white white, with as little over lapping of colors as possible and without applying a different color ontop another color.
If I was painting a disassembled panda, I would paint the parts that would be black black, the white parts white, and the parts that would be mixed white and black white, because black is a pain to paint over with white. If I was painting a whole panda, I would paint it all white first then apply black. Because once again, white is easy to paint over while black is a jerk to paint over.

It totally answered your question. I paint the model or a piece a full color first, then apply the details and other colors.

Generally I try to use the most common lightest color as the base color as I call it. Paint the model or part that color, then add new colors as necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 147
05-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
If I was painting a disassembled panda, I would paint the parts that would be black black, the white parts white, and the parts that would be mixed white and black white, because black is a pain to paint over with white. If I was painting a whole panda, I would paint it all white first then apply black. Because once again, white is easy to paint over while black is a jerk to paint over.

It totally answered your question. I paint the model or a piece a full color first, then apply the details and other colors.

Generally I try to use the most common lightest color as the base color as I call it. Paint the model or part that color, then add new colors as necessary.
what happens if the unit is mostly black >_>;
Lt. Commander
# 148
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Hm, wrong thread. It says Warhammer 40k in the title, but everybody is talking about Dawn of War II.

Anybody here who plays the 40k RPG's of Fantasy Flight Games? I'm waiting for Deathwatch at the moment. A shame they never had an army list in the tabletop.
i've played the dark heresy dice+paper rpg.it's awesome(if very flawed).
there's also rogue trader out too.not tried that one.
tbh,i'm more of a fan of star wars rpg,or d&d rpg.
Lt. Commander
# 149
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
what happens if the unit is mostly black >_>;
1. I don't have any mostly black units
2. Suck it up and paint it black, but now you have to use a dew layers of your other colors to cover the black
Lt. Commander
# 150
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I prefer DOW1 over DOW2..in DOW2...without base building there is less strategy..and it becomes too fast paced and more repetitive. Hardly any sense of progression either. Not to mention DOW2 doesnt have any large maps...all of them seem to be rather small...the only thing DOW2 has over DOW1 is its graphics and animations.

I used to play the tabletop game, but I just found it hard to find time to paint up an army so most of my minis were always left unfinished.