Lt. Commander
# 31
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
The words 'Orks' and 'Tactics' don't belong in the same sentence. :p

I've been doing some research on the game. Orks just seem to throw massive waves of Boyz at the opponent until the opponent stops breathing. One of the many reasons I'm going with the Orks.
Fun part about Orks is they don't break as long as their mob has at least twelve guys in it. And even then they can still mob up.

But no description of Orks is complete without covering the Waaaagh!. I like Wikipedia's description of the Waaaagh!:
Quote:
Ork behavior is dominated by the Waaagh!, a gestalt psychic field they generate that affects the Ork psyche, as it allows Orks to instinctively recognize who is 'bigga' and therefore in charge. All Orks generate this field, and it grows stronger as the Orks enjoy themselves, generally while fighting. The Waaagh! helps give momentum (and the name) to the Orks' planet-crushing Waaagh!s. These Waaagh!s are a cross between a mass migration, holy war, looting party and pub brawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Fun part about Orks is they don't break as long as their mob has at least twelve guys in it. And even then they can still mob up.

But no description of Orks is complete without covering the Waaaagh!. I like Wikipedia's description of the Waaaagh!:
Oh, I've read up on the Waaaagh! Reason number 42 for me to try the Orks. Plus, the deffkoptas look cool. I actually found a gaming store nearby. First thing I saw when I walked in was a massive game of 40k. According to the people there, it had been going on for over 4 hours and showed no sign of ending anytime soon.

I'm probably going to start with that boxed set I mentioned earlier and build up from there.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Yeah, the Mekboy can kick some major ass from afar, but I like jumping into the fray and hacking my enemies to bits with my power axe way too much to focus on leveling up an Ork. :p

Once I get my Space Marine to 20, the next one I'll be working on is my Sorcerer of anyway.
Trust me, get a Mekboy up to I think lvl 7, and you'll kick some butt.

Heavy Shoota (the 44dps weapon)
teleport armor (qq 22 armor)
+66armor accessory (thank god)
accessory that doesn't let youg et knocked down (New hd, haven't played DoW in about a week now, sorry for no names)
Dont remember the last accessory
War rack (-35% enemy dmg).

Teleport from cover to cover. I don't think I ever walk anymore. If they catch you in the open it's game over, so it makes it extra exciting. It's no melee, but you should give it a shot, it's crazy in it's own way.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
For an avid 40k fan you'd think I would play the computer version.

I find though that i prefer the real thing, maybe its the painting of the models or that you can actually touch them.

I think how i see them in my mind and how they act in the game was a slight letdown.

But 40k STILL rules
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
man i cant believe i waited till now to post in here

i love commisar cain and the 40k books.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by febostaf View Post
man i cant believe i waited till now to post in here

i love commisar cain and the 40k books.
You continue to insist upon speaking of CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM in an improper manner. If CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM wanted to be called "commisar cain," do you think his posters would all say CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM?

Honestly man, if you're going to talk about CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM, do it right! :p
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Oh, I've read up on the Waaaagh! Reason number 42 for me to try the Orks. Plus, the deffkoptas look cool. I actually found a gaming store nearby. First thing I saw when I walked in was a massive game of 40k. According to the people there, it had been going on for over 4 hours and showed no sign of ending anytime soon.

I'm probably going to start with that boxed set I mentioned earlier and build up from there.
I've actually been considering buying the Assault on Black Reach box set myself. With a few tweaks, it'll have just about everything I need for my Ultramarines army, and if I decide to play Orks at some point, I'll already have a good starting point there, too... and the Something To Do near me has the set for $75.

If I'm remembering correctly, it comes with a Dreadnought, a tactical squad, a devastator squad, and a command squad, right?
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-19-2010, 09:20 AM
The orkz iz not about the boyz the orkz iz about the snotlingz
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I've actually been considering buying the Assault on Black Reach box set myself. With a few tweaks, it'll have just about everything I need for my Ultramarines army, and if I decide to play Orks at some point, I'll already have a good starting point there, too... and the Something To Do near me has the set for $75.
I could probably get it for around $60-$65 if I order it from my dad. It pays to know someone who owns and operates an online retail store, especially when they're willing to sell to you at no markup.

The Black Reach box set is probably the best- and cheapest- starting point I could find. Once I save up some more money, I'll probably look into buying that battlegroup set.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
I could probably get it for around $60-$65 if I order it from my dad. It pays to know someone who owns and operates an online retail store, especially when they're willing to sell to you at no markup.

The Black Reach box set is probably the best- and cheapest- starting point I could find. Once I save up some more money, I'll probably look into buying that battlegroup set.
Well even $75 is a bargain, consider it's got about 3/4 of the army I want to put together. I'd still need to buy a terminator squad and an assault squad to round it out, and I'll probably want a Rhino, so altogether just for the miniatures I'll probably be paying around $150-175. But the part where the savings REALLY come in is the rulebook, which is included with the box set. The only other thing I'll need to buy will be the paint, which'll run me $15-20.