Lt. Commander
# 471
08-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Are you kidding? Half the Space Marine armies I run into these days are Salamanders. Granted, it's largely due to Vulkan, but it's not really his fault his is pretty much the best list in the codex.
Really?! Over here I'm yet to see a Salamander chapter fielded... it's usually always Blood Angels or Ultramarines. Also, Tau seem to be turning up quite a bit now, I remember when I was the only person at our store to field the army x_x;

But then again, it has been a while since I last participated properly, and distribution of chapters would differ quite a bit between areas.

If not Salamanders, Imperial Fist, they're cool, and bright Yellow!
Lt. Commander
# 472
08-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
That's just Black Reach. They're supposedly snap-together models, but don't snap together super well.

Use glue anyway.
Oh, I am. Nothing worse than having that picture-perfect model collapse when your about to win a battle....

BTW - trial paiting run on a few will be happening shortly. When I have time....most likely Friday afternoon/evening after work. I need to prime them first...
Lt. Commander
# 473
08-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
But then again, it has been a while since I last participated properly, and distribution of chapters would differ quite a bit between areas.

Yuck...Yellow!
Lt. Commander
# 474
08-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Really?! Over here I'm yet to see a Salamander chapter fielded... it's usually always Blood Angels or Ultramarines. Also, Tau seem to be turning up quite a bit now, I remember when I was the only person at our store to field the army x_x;

Edward and Jacob Marines are the only ones I see these days. I'm the only person I know who still runs vanilla Marines. :p Way to jump the bandwagon, guys.

And I also rarely see Tau. I'm one of the only people I know who runs them, and I'm the ONLY person I know who runs them effectively.

But then I do gravitate towards armies that no one else plays, for whatever reason... I play Tau, Necrons, and Daemons, which you rarely see. And my Marines are Deathwatch Marines, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Oh, I am. Nothing worse than having that picture-perfect model collapse when your about to win a battle....

BTW - trial paiting run on a few will be happening shortly. When I have time....most likely Friday afternoon/evening after work. I need to prime them first...
Make sure you take pictures of your paint jobs and show us!
Lt. Commander
# 475
08-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Hah! Terminators that can run and assault, but can't sweeping advance. :p The irony is maddening.

Regarding BaC, I disagree, purely because that site is power armor only. Very Space Marine centric, which means you won't get the flavor of the rest of the 40k universe. What if you decide you want to play a Xeno army? You won't get much in the way of Eldar or Necron advice from BaC, mostly because it's Space Marines, Space Marines, and more Space Marines. I posted there for a short time, but defected to Dakka pretty quickly when no one had any idea about the feasibility of Tau Ion Cannon Hammerheads. :p
Yes, but he's playing Marines, so one would think that'd be the place to go. If he wants to branch out to others, he can still do so and then look up other forums. Plus the B&C doesn't have the reputation for drama Dakka has.

Ultimately, though, either one would work.

Quote:

Yep, lots of Salamanders, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. As for the Imperial Fists, yellow is cool, but I don't really like their personality and lore. Actually, the only IF gene-seed Chapter I like at all is the Black Templars, heh.

Quote:
Edward and Jacob Marines are the only ones I see these days. I'm the only person I know who still runs vanilla Marines. :p Way to jump the bandwagon, guys.

And I also rarely see Tau. I'm one of the only people I know who runs them, and I'm the ONLY person I know who runs them effectively.

But then I do gravitate towards armies that no one else plays, for whatever reason... I play Tau, Necrons, and Daemons, which you rarely see. And my Marines are Deathwatch Marines, so.
Heh, the tournament I just went to, the final match was Crimson Fists using Blood Angels rules versus Red Corsairs using Space Wolves rules. So the blue Marines were using the red Marines rules, and the red Marines were using the (kinda) blue Marines rules. *Laughs*

I've got like four different primary Marine lists, spread across four codices (vanilla, Space Wolves, and my homegrown 'dex), totaling around 20,000 points. Plus about 3,000 of Chaos Marines, 2,500 of Eldar, and the 3,000-ish of Tyranids I just got from the 'Ard Boyz. The Space Wolves list has been my main tournament list, but now that I'm done with them for the year, I'll be breaking out the bugs and Eldar a lot more, since those are pretty rare at my store (and obviously way different from Marines, so I can have some fun).
Lt. Commander
# 476
08-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Yes, but he's playing Marines, so one would think that'd be the place to go. If he wants to branch out to others, he can still do so and then look up other forums. Plus the B&C doesn't have the reputation for drama Dakka has.

Ultimately, though, either one would work.
Yeah, but nobody should be tied down to their Marines. :p

Eventually I'd say there's about a 75% chance he's going to want to branch out, and the best resources for doing so are on Dakka, not BaC.

Also, what drama? Ain't no drama.

Quote:
Yep, lots of Salamanders, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. As for the Imperial Fists, yellow is cool, but I don't really like their personality and lore. Actually, the only IF gene-seed Chapter I like at all is the Black Templars, heh.
...you do realize that the Templars are an Imperial Fists successor chapter, right?

That said, though, I do love the Templars, but I'm also a big fan of the Imperial Fists.

On of my Deathwatch Marines is a Fist, and another is a Templar.

I may make one of them a Crimson Fist as well, but that's yet undecided.

Quote:
Heh, the tournament I just went to, the final match was Crimson Fists using Blood Angels rules versus Red Corsairs using Space Wolves rules. So the blue Marines were using the red Marines rules, and the red Marines were using the (kinda) blue Marines rules. *Laughs*
That's the first I've ever heard of Crimson Fists not using the Vanilla 'dex, that's kind of weird... I really don't see how they work as Blood Angels. You gotta have lots of Sternguard for a Crimson Fists list, and Pedro to make them scoring units. The Crimson Fists have never been a CC-centric chapter - quite the opposite - whereas Blood Angels are basically nothing but CC.

Quote:
I've got like four different primary Marine lists, spread across four codices (vanilla, Space Wolves, and my homegrown 'dex), totaling around 20,000 points. Plus about 3,000 of Chaos Marines, 2,500 of Eldar, and the 3,000-ish of Tyranids I just got from the 'Ard Boyz. The Space Wolves list has been my main tournament list, but now that I'm done with them for the year, I'll be breaking out the bugs and Eldar a lot more, since those are pretty rare at my store (and obviously way different from Marines, so I can have some fun).
I'm curious as to how long it took you to collect 20,000 points of Marines... that's damned impressive, sir.
Lt. Commander
# 477
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
There are four Space Marine players around me who regularly show up and a fifth who makes it about 1/6th of the time.

Two play Vanilla Marines, one Salamander, one Ultramarine, one Space Wolves player who is hairy and grumpy enough to play a real Space Wolf.

Three people have Tau forces, only one of which handles them what I would call 'well'. The rest are not mobile and flexible enough.

One Dark Eldar, Four Chaos Marines, three other Imperial Guard players (who prefer the tank rush strategy as opposed to what I call 'Deep Operations'), two Eldar, three Orks, and a kid who plays Tyranids like one would Zerg.
Lt. Commander
# 478
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I would appreciate some tips on playing Tau, I picked up the army way back when they first released, but never really for playing, more for personal enjoyment of modelling them. My uni friends want me to play, so I'd appreciate some aid in getting these guys off of parade and onto a combat grade for fighting with.

So far I have;
- 3x Hammer Heads (Got them in one of the Apocalypse Box Sets, last Tau box in the UK too)
[I've kept their fittings lose so I can swap out for any weapons free, could also swap any number to Devilfish but at a loss to the Drone Squadron]
- 6 Steal Suits (X22 I think)
- 12 Fire Warriors (I know I need more of these guys, but how much?
- 1 Krootox
- 3 Pathfinders w/ railguns (sniper) [I need to get a commander before I can field them]
- 4~5 Drones (Drone Squadron)
- 1x Battlesuit
- Commander Shadowsun

So, I know fine well this "army" is unbalanced so to speak, what are your tips and suggestions to fix them etc.
Lt. Commander
# 479
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean Blood Angels and Spacewolves?
Lt. Commander
# 480
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
What tends to work well against my Guardsmen...
1. Your Tau need some manner of mobility. Troop carriers are recommended for all squads.
2. Keep any Kroot you have in reserve. If a Kroot squad can get in melee with my Guardsmen, the Guardsmen will get chewed up. Problem is getting them to melee. Use your woodcraft ability and Tau units to lure the enemy forward (this is the Kauyon strategy)
3. Your vehicles pack some powerful weapons, but their armor is weaker then that of most other vehicles. They work best in ambushes and in mutually supporting arrangements.
4. Remember you will in all likelihood be outnumbered so force conservation will be essential. Don't be afraid to fall back if multiple enemy units are closing on you.