Lt. Commander
# 481
08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
I would appreciate some tips on playing Tau, I picked up the army way back when they first released, but never really for playing, more for personal enjoyment of modelling them. My uni friends want me to play, so I'd appreciate some aid in getting these guys off of parade and onto a combat grade for fighting with.

So far I have;
- 3x Hammer Heads (Got them in one of the Apocalypse Box Sets, last Tau box in the UK too)
[I've kept their fittings lose so I can swap out for any weapons free, could also swap any number to Devilfish but at a loss to the Drone Squadron]
- 6 Steal Suits (X22 I think)
- 12 Fire Warriors (I know I need more of these guys, but how much?
- 1 Krootox
- 3 Pathfinders w/ railguns (sniper) [I need to get a commander before I can field them]
- 4~5 Drones (Drone Squadron)
- 1x Battlesuit
- Commander Shadowsun

So, I know fine well this "army" is unbalanced so to speak, what are your tips and suggestions to fix them etc.
I use 4 squads of 10 Fire Warriors each, and they each have a Warfish to ride around in. Fire Warriors are not the base of your firepower, keep that in mind - their entire purpose is to hold down objectives. If they can fire at an enemy in range, so be it, but that is not their entire purpose. Get enough to hold down an objective without running away and you're golden.

You need more Pathfinders, 3 is not a legal number (4-8) and they need a Devilfish to be legal. I use two units of 5 each, no rail rifles (markerlights are more important), and just give their Devilfish (outfitted as Warfish) to the Fire Warriors.

Kroot are next to useless. I will never use them. Some players will disagree, but you will not find any Kroot in my army.

Stealthsuits are too much of a niche unit to really be competitive in an all-comers list, and they take up a valuable Elites slot that you can use to get more Crisis Suits.

Crisis Suits are going to be your primary firebase, you need plenty of them. 9 is best. I run them in 3 groups of 3... one group with plasma rifles, missile pods, and multitrackers, and the other two with burst cannons, missile pods, and multitrackers.

Commander Shadowsun is next to useless in 5th edition. It sucks, because she's such a cool model, but it's true. Two fusion blasters on a battlesuit basically constitutes a suicide tank hunter, she's way too expensive for that... and her command drone is worthless now that target priority no longer exists. Get a regular Battlesuit commander instead. You can run a Shas'el with a targeting array to save some points, but I personally run a Shas'O with TL missile pod and plasma rifle... basically giving him a BS10 missile pod and a BS5 plasma rifle. Two shield drones accompany him.

How do you have those Hammerheads built? I personally use one Railhead and one Ionhead, and my third HS slot is taken up by two Broadsides. The Broadsides hunt tanks, the Railhead hunts hordes with its submunitions, and the Ionhead hunts MEqs.

Finally, the drones are next to useless - you're spending 12 points (same price as a FW) on units that are about half as useful as a FW and take up a Fast Attack slot that needs to go to either Piranhas or Pathfinders.

I also use a squadron of three Piranhas, all with fusion blasters, flechettes, disruption pods, and targeting arrays. Fast-moving tank hunters that can also tear up MEqs, and are cheap enough not to hurt when they go down.

Basically, here's my Tau list:

2494 Points total

HQ

-Shas'O Vior'la Savon Kunas Mont'yr +173
Plasma Rifle, TL Missile Pod, HW Multi-Tracker, HW Drone Controller, Stimulant Injector, Bonding Knife, Shield Drone (2)

TROOPS

-10 Fire Warriors +220
Devilfish w/ Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array, Disruption Pods, Smart Missile System

-10 Fire Warriors +220
Devilfish w/ Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array, Disruption Pods, Smart Missile System

-10 Fire Warriors +100

-10 Fire Warriors +100

ELITE

-3 Crisis Battlesuits +196
Team Leader w/ Bonding Knife
Plasma Rifle (3), Missile Pod (3), MT (3)

-3 Crisis Battlesuits +160
Burst cannon (3), Missile Pod (3), MT (3)

-3 Crisis Battlesuits +160
Burst Cannon (3), Missile Pod (3), MT (3)

FAST ATTACK

-5 Pathfinders +195
Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife

-5 Pathfinders +195
Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife

-3 Pirhanas +255
--Fusion Blaster (3), Targeting Array (3), Disruption Pods (3), Flechette Discharger (3)

HEAVY SUPPORT

-Hammerhead +170
Multi-tracker, Target Lock, Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pods

-Hammerhead +135
Multi-tracker, Target Lock, Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pods

-2 Broadside Battlesuits +215
Team Leader, Bonding Knife, HW Drone Controller, HW Target Lock, Shield Drone (2), Targeting Array (2)
Lt. Commander
# 482
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Aww, the Stealthsuits are so pretty, ah well xD

My hammerheads are really basic, one can be turned into a Skyray, I've kept the turret weapons, turrets themselves, and the hatches unglued so they can be swapped as necessary. (So essentially only the core chassis and forward "sensor module" is glued and unchangable, everything else can be swapped about as necessary.

Thanks for your army list, and suggestions, as soon as my student loan arrives I shall be doing some reforming. I agree somewhat about the Kroot, not a fan of them, but I've seen someone use squads of FWs as a Kroot stand-in.
Lt. Commander
# 483
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
What tends to work well against my Guardsmen...
1. Your Tau need some manner of mobility. Troop carriers are recommended for all squads.
2. Keep any Kroot you have in reserve. If a Kroot squad can get in melee with my Guardsmen, the Guardsmen will get chewed up. Problem is getting them to melee. Use your woodcraft ability and Tau units to lure the enemy forward (this is the Kauyon strategy)
3. Your vehicles pack some powerful weapons, but their armor is weaker then that of most other vehicles. They work best in ambushes and in mutually supporting arrangements.
4. Remember you will in all likelihood be outnumbered so force conservation will be essential. Don't be afraid to fall back if multiple enemy units are closing on you.
I have at best a squad of Kroot, but not a huge fan of them, so tend to not count them towards my army, looking for a Pure-Tau army as opposed to their allies being fielded alongside.

Oh, and my primary opponents at least out of the people I know who play nearby are Necrons, Space Marines, Deamons(Or Chaos, are they the same?.. and other Tau.
Lt. Commander
# 484
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
I have at best a squad of Kroot, but not a huge fan of them, so tend to not count them towards my army, looking for a Pure-Tau army as opposed to their allies being fielded alongside.

Oh, and my primary opponents at least out of the people I know who play nearby are Necrons, Space Marines, Deamons(Or Chaos, are they the same?.. and other Tau.
No Guard? What is wrong with them?

And with that setup, yeah you don't need any Kroot. You might benefit from a Vespid Strain, but stick to Tau with that opposition.

Chaos and Daemons can be the same and they can be different. Chaos Marine armies can have daemons in them, but Daemons can also work on their own.
Lt. Commander
# 485
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines are two seperate codices.

I play Chaos Daemons, but not Chaos Space Marines.

Anyway, based on what you go up against (a TON of MEqs) you're definitely going to want at least one ion cannon hammerhead, if not two... and maybe instead of my own 1 FireKnife 2 FireStorms Battlesuit suggestions, perhaps you should go 2 FireKnife, 1 FireStorm for that extra 3 Plasma Rifles.

For reference:
FireKnife = Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-Tracker
FireStorm = Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Multi-Tracker
Lt. Commander
# 486
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
You might benefit from a Vespid Strain
I would disagree with this, strongly.

Vespid are grossly overcosted, and a niche unit at best. Basically they're designed as fast-moving assaulters with Fleet, but the problem is that 1) they're going to tie up a lot of points that need to be funneled into your Elites and Heavy Support slots, and 2) they take up a valuable Fast Attack slot that needs to go to Pathfinders or Piranhas.

If they made Vespid Stingwings a Troops choice and upped the max squad size, then decreased their per-model cost a bit, they'd be worth it.

As it is, they're a point sink.

And they need a plastic model range. :p
Lt. Commander
# 487
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
No Guard? What is wrong with them?

And with that setup, yeah you don't need any Kroot. You might benefit from a Vespid Strain, but stick to Tau with that opposition.

Chaos and Daemons can be the same and they can be different. Chaos Marine armies can have daemons in them, but Daemons can also work on their own.
Funny you should mention, now that I think about it, the guy who has the very large Deathwatch chapter, also has a very large Imp Guard army too... might be mistaken though...

Thanks for all the suggestions, will certainly update you with my progress as I make the changes and purchases.

What are Ion Cannons good for then? Railguns are popular (And in my opinion, look really cool, BUT the ICs are pretty powerful looking too, but as I don't have my codex in front of me, I am unsure of the differences)
Lt. Commander
# 488
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Funny you should mention, now that I think about it, the guy who has the very large Deathwatch chapter, also has a very large Imp Guard army too... might be mistaken though...

Thanks for all the suggestions, will certainly update you with my progress as I make the changes and purchases.

What are Ion Cannons good for then? Railguns are popular (And in my opinion, look really cool, BUT the ICs are pretty powerful looking too, but as I don't have my codex in front of me, I am unsure of the differences)
Good question. Railguns are 72" S10 AP1 Heavy 1. Ion Cannons are 60" S7 AP3 Heavy 3. Note specifically the AP3 and 3 shots... this makes them great for mowing down MEqs (Marines and their equivalents, such as Necrons, Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, and so on). The AP3 is important because it denies MEqs their typical 3+ armor save. Basically, three shots from an Ion Cannon can kill 3 Marines easily, and therefore force a squad of 10 Marines to take a morale check.

Railguns are great at two things. Popping tanks with their solid shot (S10 AP1 Heavy 1) and mowing down hordes of light infantry with their submunition shot (S4 AP5 Heavy 1 Large Blast). But against MEqs, they fall short.

Hence, ion cannon.

That's why I use the balance I do... one Railhead (for obliterating hordes), one Ionhead (for killing MEqs), and two Broadsides (for popping tanks).
Lt. Commander
# 489
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
That makes sense, first time it's made sense ever O-o I like and understand the reasons for their being there now! I had always known Railguns were ace at taking out tanks, (I heard that if you were lucky you could take out a Necron Monolith with it...?)
Lt. Commander
# 490
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
That makes sense, first time it's made sense ever O-o I like and understand the reasons for their being there now! I had always known Railguns were ace at taking out tanks, (I heard that if you were lucky you could take out a Necron Monolith with it...?)
You can. In fact it's one of the few weapons that will reliably drop a Monolith.

Melta weapons are rubbish against a Monolith, due to Living Metal (no armor penetration value bonuses) which means Melta weapons (S8) only roll 1d6, and can therefore only glance the Monolith.

Lascannons are your next best bet, but you need to roll a 6 to penetrate (S9)

Railguns, though, will penetrate 33% of the time (on a roll of 5 or 6) since they're S10 weapons.

A unit of Broadsides will drop a Monolith like it's nothing.