Lt. Commander
# 41
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Well even $75 is a bargain, consider it's got about 3/4 of the army I want to put together. I'd still need to buy a terminator squad and an assault squad to round it out, and I'll probably want a Rhino, so altogether just for the miniatures I'll probably be paying around $150-175. But the part where the savings REALLY come in is the rulebook, which is included with the box set. The only other thing I'll need to buy will be the paint, which'll run me $15-20.
Plus, like you said, it gives you a good starting point for an Ork army, should you want to go that route later. Very good point on the rulebook, although a friend of mine gave me a PDF file with the rulebook and most of the codices a few days ago. As for the paint, you can find pretty much the same thing at Wal-Mart for around $10.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
Plus, like you said, it gives you a good starting point for an Ork army, should you want to go that route later. Very good point on the rulebook, although a friend of mine gave me a PDF file with the rulebook and most of the codices a few days ago. As for the paint, you can find pretty much the same thing at Wal-Mart for around $10.
I'll mostly be buying it for five, ten dollars more at Something To Do because they're always super helpful when it comes to tabletop gaming supplies. I don't mind spending an extra ten bucks as a thank you for the help they'll be giving me (and if I join their 40k group) rather than save ten bucks at Wal-Mart.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
I'll mostly be buying it for five, ten dollars more at Something To Do because they're always super helpful when it comes to tabletop gaming supplies. I don't mind spending an extra ten bucks as a thank you for the help they'll be giving me (and if I join their 40k group) rather than save ten bucks at Wal-Mart.
Good point, and it makes me wish I had a gaming store here in town. I found one in a nearby city, but it's still a 30 minute drive. You're right, though. Better to buy from a place that knows exactly what you're looking for, and give your business to the store where you'll be playing.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm trying to build a Luna Wolves successor chapter, the Nightwolves (they are as capable as the Dark Angels to let people vanish who find out about their "unknown origins", but they don't go out of their way to hunt the Black Legion.) Protecting humanity is the main focus, and they are a bit saner than the average Space Marines.

The battlecry is "For Humanity and its Emperor" unless they are by chance fighting alone against the Black Legion. Then it's "Kill for the Living, Kill for the Dead!"
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
I'm trying to build a Luna Wolves successor chapter, the Nightwolves (they are as capable as the Dark Angels to let people vanish who find out about their "unknown origins", but they don't go out of their way to hunt the Black Legion.) Protecting humanity is the main focus, and they are a bit saner than the average Space Marines.

The battlecry is "For Humanity and its Emperor" unless they are by chance fighting alone against the Black Legion. Then it's "Kill for the Living, Kill for the Dead!"
Sweet.

I love trolling 40k forums and reading about the various chapters players come up with and their backstories.

Personally, I'm too much a fan of the Ultramarines to try it myself. I'm also a big fan of the particularly zealous chapters, which is why I played Black Templars as well as Ultramarines.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Sweet.

I love trolling 40k forums and reading about the various chapters players come up with and their backstories.

Personally, I'm too much a fan of the Ultramarines to try it myself. I'm also a big fan of the particularly zealous chapters, which is why I played Black Templars as well as Ultramarines.
I stopped visiting 40k forums, because people reacted a bit sensitive when I tried to discuss rules (like "Why do we need an army organisation chart?")

I always prefer making my own armies. I don't like most pre-made character models, and I don't like the idea of my army meeting an enemy who looks exactly like them. I have my own version of Cassius, but that's it.

I don't like fanatics, I'm rather a friend of pragmatic people, like radical inquisitors who don't go all the way to use chaos. In fact I wanted to make a theme army with a rogue trader/inquisitor (a concept from the rogue trader RPG, essentially an inquisitor can get a warrant of trade if people want to get rid of him) and a Deathwatch captain who has his kill team and part of his chapter company along for the ride. The problem is: All Inquisition codices are outdated since I believe two editions and there never was a Ordo Xenos Codex.
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Hm, wrong thread. It says Warhammer 40k in the title, but everybody is talking about Dawn of War II.

Anybody here who plays the 40k RPG's of Fantasy Flight Games? I'm waiting for Deathwatch at the moment. A shame they never had an army list in the tabletop.
I'm in a Dark Heresy game now. Our cell consists of an excessively 'innocent' Sister of Battle, an excessively perky scum/reclaimator, and an excessively *scratches that out* expectedly violent assassin. We tend to confuse the hell out of the enemies of the Emperor before cleansing them with fire (and lighting lho-sticks in the flames, to the Sister's consternation).
Lt. Commander
# 48
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I'm in a Dark Heresy game now. Our cell consists of an excessively 'innocent' Sister of Battle, an excessively perky scum/reclaimator, and an excessively *scratches that out* expectedly violent assassin. We tend to confuse the hell out of the enemies of the Emperor before cleansing them with fire (and lighting lho-sticks in the flames, to the Sister's consternation).
"Innocence proves nothing!" "People who plead innocent are guilty of wasting my time." (Sorry, that had to be.)

I have Rogue Trader and like it so far. The class systems and the creation path seem a bit restrictive but other things like the ship combat are truly awesome. I guess I'm going to get Dark Heresy after Deathwatch. If you have the Ordo Xenos you need stuff about the typical inquisitorial retinue. Plus Deathwatch has no women. To be honest the two things that are fascinating me the most in 40k RPG are playing a Space Marine and playing an Eldar. But I guess I can wait an eternity for the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
There is an upcoming WH40k MMO that is currently slated for a 2012 release.

I hope Eldar are a playable race for that. As well as Imperial Guard, Space Marine, and Ork.
Lt. Commander
# 50
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
There is an upcoming WH40k MMO that is currently slated for a 2012 release.

I hope Eldar are a playable race for that. As well as Imperial Guard, Space Marine, and Ork.
I am so excited.

Every time I think about it I need to change my pants.

It's just that exciting.