Lt. Commander
# 601
09-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Oki doki, some good examples, and borrowed a couple of the WD mags from housemate, so will have a go at writing one up today, stay tuned!

EDIT: Also, love his "Day in the Life" funny read xD
Lt. Commander
# 602
09-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey, the thread is up again. Anybody here has the Deathwatch RPG already?
Lt. Commander
# 603
09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Ahh, Dash. Met him at NOVA, seemed like a cool enough guy.

And I don't have the Deathwatch RPG stuff, though I've been meaning to at least get the books for the fluff. It seems...unlikely I'll be able to find a group, given how hard it was to get a group for something as "mainstream" as D&D.
Lt. Commander
# 604
09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
So who else is excited about the Dark Eldar release at GD UK?

I certainly am!

Time for some leaked pictures!

First, a very blurry picture of the French version of the DE codex!
Featuring the new Incubi!

And also, a leaked picture of an assembled Warrior!
Lt. Commander
# 605
09-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Anybody here has the Deathwatch RPG already?
Not me, but a buddy of mine. Thinks it can be fun for something quick in-between, but nothing for longer.

I mean, you play Marines. That's little better than a servitor, if you go by how they should be depicted (yes, I know that a lot of novels take a LOT of leeway to make them appear more human and interesting). You could just as well play Counterstrike as a P&P.
Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are much better, imo, in that both of them actually allow you to roleplay real personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo80 View Post
I loved Dark Crusade, Soulstorm was a a joke. Has anyone seen the trailer for the 40k MMO?
I don't get why people don't like Soulstorm. Sure, it was kinda rushed, but it had a solid campaign and interesting factions. And it spawned a whole lot of hilarious memes.

"METAL BOXES!"

And the fluffnerd in me is still afraid at the idea of a 40k MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 606
09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
So who else is excited about the Dark Eldar release at GD UK?

I certainly am!

Time for some leaked pictures!

First, a very blurry picture of the French version of the DE codex!
Featuring the new Incubi!

And also, a leaked picture of an assembled Warrior!
Supposedly that warrior is an early version of it, so the final product we'll see has even more detail worked into it. Either way, it looks pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Not me, but a buddy of mine. Thinks it can be fun for something quick in-between, but nothing for longer.

I mean, you play Marines. That's little better than a servitor, if you go by how they should be depicted (yes, I know that a lot of novels take a LOT of leeway to make them appear more human and interesting). You could just as well play Counterstrike as a P&P.
Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are much better, imo, in that both of them actually allow you to roleplay real personalities.

I don't get why people don't like Soulstorm. Sure, it was kinda rushed, but it had a solid campaign and interesting factions. And it spawned a whole lot of hilarious memes.

"METAL BOXES!"

And the fluffnerd in me is still afraid at the idea of a 40k MMO.
Meh. Space Marines undergo a lot of indoctrination and mental conditioning, but they're hardly devoid of personality. Nominally, they'd come across as still human but different because the way they think would be different than ours (honestly, Sosuke from Full Metal Panic comes to mind as a good example of someone so utterly dedicated to a military way of thinking he can't even function properly in a normal social environment).

I enjoyed Soulstorm. After I beat it, I randomly had a dream once about a cutscene from it where the Howling Griffins Chapter shows up, and they're riding around on actual griffins, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 607
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Meh. Space Marines undergo a lot of indoctrination and mental conditioning, but they're hardly devoid of personality.
Not completely devoid, I give you that - but after spending weeks of conditioning and reconditioning and getting gigaquads of historical and tactical data pumped into their heads, I doubt that a real Marine would act in a way that makes it fun roleplaying one for a longer duration. Also keep in mind at what age they are usually recruited - they don't even get a chance to develop before being turned into something meant purely for war and nothing else. Have you seen the normal daily schedule in one of the old codices? Some Marine Chapters allow their brothers to have 30 minutes(!) of spare time, although this is considered unnecessary luxury - everything else is filled with training, training and even more training. And four hours of sleep. And even this is optional.

Don't get me wrong, I like their style (especially the Black Templars), and they play an extremely important role in the setting - I'm just under the impression that they are sometimes displayed as too invincible and too human. And this doesn't work. Either you have a hulking monster that spits acid and chews through metal, or you have a charismatic hero. Can't have both, else it gets too cheesy. Especially since in cases of "too human" they often penetrate into narrative terroritory usually reserved for the Guard or the in-between Sisterhood.

Hence my reservations against the Deathwatch RPG. Sure it could be fun to play a single mission once in a while and let loose with the awesome firepower of the Astartes, but for something longer I need to have a connection to my character. I don't want to play a tactical Doom-style P&P with minimal charplay and communication. When I RP, I want to play a role, not a walking tank. But that's just me.

Quote:
I enjoyed Soulstorm. After I beat it, I randomly had a dream once about a cutscene from it where the Howling Griffins Chapter shows up, and they're riding around on actual griffins, heh.
... okay
Lt. Commander
# 608
09-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, one could think of it as RP-lite, focused more on the action aspect of killing stuff and maybe overcoming (or not) the divergent personality quirks of the different Chapters (obvious examples being a Space Wolf and a Dark Angel being in the same squad, or a Black Templar being in a squad with a Librarian attached to it). That's perfectly fine with me, hardcore RP-ing tends to drain my energy very quickly (last time I played D&D, I was definitely more interested in killing stuff and wound up playing a semi-murderous character to suit that ). Obviously your mileage may vary, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 609
09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
hardcore RP-ing tends to drain my energy very quickly [...] Obviously your mileage may vary, of course.
Yeah, of course it's also a matter of mood. Don't get me wrong, I like a good killing now and then. My characters are usually pretty combat-oriented as well.

That being said, I wouldn't say "no" if someone would ask me to participate in a single Deathwatch mission. I just can't see doing something like that over a longer period of time, as I would miss the "switching" between charplay and killing that I get in other, less ... "specialized" games.

Then again, maybe it's not wrong to have some sort of "RP light" alternative to DH and RT, if only to get people onboard who would otherwise be put off by inquisitorial investigations or mercantile negotiations. Nothing wrong with having options, right? Plus, the systems are intercompatible, so the more supplements you have, the more stuff you can bring over into another game. Win-win situation.
Lt. Commander
# 610
09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Exactly! I pretty much see all that as a good thing. Maybe if I ever get a chance to actually play it, I'll be a Space Marine temporarily serving with an Inquisitorial gang the other players are playing or something.