Lt. Commander
# 61
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
No love for the Guard? Lots of Space Marine players here.

And bumpity bumpbumpbump for the Emperor!
Lt. Commander
# 62
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post

I used to have a Guard army for Epic; they had a mind boggling array of tanks that gave them a lot of appeal.

The troops were too fiddly to paint though, which eventually put us off the game. Large armies, which is how Epic was designed to be played, would have been way too aggravating; but at the same time, if we couldn't make them look good, then it just wasn't very satisfying.
Lt. Commander
# 63
04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Not saying this how they would do it, but how i would run it would be thus:

Have a subsector (about 15-20 planets of varied environments maybe, few zones on each planet initially) that was enveloped or cut off by a Warp Storm of some sort re-appear. Naturally the Imperials (Guard, Space Marines, and Sisters) start moving in to secure the area and re-establish Imperial control. Chaos cults have in the meantime arisen on a few of the worlds and they start bringing in Chaos Armies. There are some kind of Eldar ruins in the system so that brings the Eldar in. And with new area accessible the Tau move in as well. And Orks...well do the Orks really ever need a reason to be there and Orkin' things up?

Then for the first big expansion, the Tyranids invade.
Hm, sounds good. But I still don't get how you make multiple planets in a game. The only one I know of that seemingly achieved this is Star Wars Galaxies, and I never played that.

I'm also wondering how they would make the playable factions. The smallest unit I know in 40k is the kill team. Having Space Marines, Eldar aspect warriors etc run around alone could be weird. And if everybody designs his own uniform.....O_o
Lt. Commander
# 64
04-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote:

I like the Guard, but mostly because of Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!
Also just starting the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

But my main love will always be burnin' the heretics. It's just so fun.
Lt. Commander
# 65
04-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:

If I wasn't so dead-set on Orks, I'd try out the Guard. I just can't resist the Waaaagh!
Lt. Commander
# 66
04-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Imperial Guard?`Heck no!

1. Most of them are badly trained, the ones who aren't are badly trained in close combat.
2. Way too many miniatures to paint.
3. They're squishy.

I prefer Space Marines, or Eldar. They have at least a decent troops choice with dire avengers.
Lt. Commander
# 67
04-22-2010, 05:29 AM
The Guardsmen are cowards. Every man fears the Space Marines, but I know of no one who fears a Guardsman!

...also, multiple planets could work in an MMO. I put SWG and PlanetSide on the table for your examination (I know you already mentioned SWG, but it's a valid example).

Especially with the idea of drop pods and instant deployment. Not too dissimilar from PlanetSide in that respect. An HQ on one planet, bases or strongholds on the others, and the ability to deploy from a ship leaving HQ and fight over the strongholds.

That is, if it's an MMOFPS. An MMORPG could do the same thing, just with very different mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 68
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I love Space Marines. I don't mind the Guard either, as a former soldier myself I can appreciate what they have to go through. And I can certainly be glad my own commanders don't have the "Just throw waves of soldiers at the enemy until we break them" mentality! :p

But yeah, given it's taken me seven years to only get 1/4 of my Space Marine Battle Company painted, I can't imagine trying to do a full Guard army. I did a test squad of Guardsmen from my Chapter's homeworld once, using Pig Iron Near Future models (their website actually features conversions including GW parts). The only conversion work I did was to cut off the barrels of their guns and put on lasgun barrels, but they work pretty well as Guardsmen. They sort of look like a cross between Valhallans and Steel Legion troopers. I doubt I'd do a full army of them, though, given they're metal models and $30 a squad or more would be pretty expensive for 100-ish infantry.

Also, it's been stated the MMO will be an RPG first and foremost, so no MMOFPS-type gameplay like Planetside.
Lt. Commander
# 69
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, I'm a WH40K fan, but not for the table-top wargaming, but the RPG's.
That being said, I still am quite keen on the universe:

Space Marine movie
Eagerly awaiting this movie, Dan Abnett is brilliant.

So, WH40K Pencil and paper roleplay. Dark Heresy is ok...personally I'm not the Inquisition type, as investigating and castrating is not my thing.
But Rogue Trader *drools* I love this game with a passion. It's one of the least explored aspects of the Universe, and opens up more 'freedom' then you'd get in most Imperial-settings. Space Marine fanbois can keep thier no-depth warriors (but I'll still play Deathwatch as well). I want a ship and crew made up of more then Humans.
My game consists of mostly radical characters. Because we employ Eldar and Tau, along with homebrewed Squats, Ogres and Ratlings on our crew. In some ways I've mixed Firefly into the Imperium.
Exploit worlds, battle the never-ending darkness, keep flying.

You all have put some interest into me though with the Dawn of War 2 thing. I stink at RTS games, but I may pick it up now. But rest assured if the MMO ever comes out, I'd also be playing it.
Lt. Commander
# 70
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solardream View Post
Yes, I'm a WH40K fan, but not for the table-top wargaming, but the RPG's.
That being said, I still am quite keen on the universe:

Space Marine movie
Eagerly awaiting this movie, Dan Abnett is brilliant.

So, WH40K Pencil and paper roleplay. Dark Heresy is ok...personally I'm not the Inquisition type, as investigating and castrating is not my thing.
But Rogue Trader *drools* I love this game with a passion. It's one of the least explored aspects of the Universe, and opens up more 'freedom' then you'd get in most Imperial-settings. Space Marine fanbois can keep thier no-depth warriors (but I'll still play Deathwatch as well). I want a ship and crew made up of more then Humans.
My game consists of mostly radical characters. Because we employ Eldar and Tau, along with homebrewed Squats, Ogres and Ratlings on our crew. In some ways I've mixed Firefly into the Imperium.
Exploit worlds, battle the never-ending darkness, keep flying.

You all have put some interest into me though with the Dawn of War 2 thing. I stink at RTS games, but I may pick it up now. But rest assured if the MMO ever comes out, I'd also be playing it.
Yes, Ultramarines should be awesome.

I haven't gotten to play the PnP RPG at all. I'd like to at some point, but it's hard enough finding people to play regular 40K with, let alone any spin-offs. 1st Edition 40K was actually called Rogue Trader, and the emphasis was on that. But yeah, that part hasn't been seen too often since. Also doesn't help that most of the novels written about rogue traders are absolutely terrible.

Dawn of War 2 is more tactical than strategy. There's no base or army-building, just equipping your squads and fighting your way through (though multi-player is the more traditional fare). I like it that way, I've always thought it was a bit silly to have to rebuild my base and research the same technologies over and over again.