Lt. Commander
# 51
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
The thing about the tailor screen is that it's considered as a "neutral light setting". The color scheme picked is the "true color". Of course when the light changes by the setting, will affect the color scheme chosen, but that's the same said for the actual uniforms worn by the cast. That's why you can look at a production quality TNG movie uniform, and the shoulders appear in their true blue-grey tone. Yet watching the movie, with the set lighting, they appear lighter grey in tone.

As for the Sciences "blue or teal" debate, you're right indeed. Did some checking. Found the color chart for Science Division here: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sciences_division
So at one point, they did change to teal as the standard for all Science Division. Apparently Starfleet's gone back to blue as the predominant color sometime before 2409.
Lt. Commander
# 52
04-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post

As for the Sciences "blue or teal" debate, you're right indeed. Did some checking. Found the color chart for Science Division here: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sciences_division
So at one point, they did change to teal as the standard for all Science Division. Apparently Starfleet's gone back to blue as the predominant color sometime before 2409.
Why's everybody so surprised by this? The uniform color changed from blue to teal with the change in uniform design introduced for Starbase personnel in 2369 becoming the standard Starfleet uniform in 2371. The TNG uniforms (colored chest) were blue (though they sometimes appeared greenish due to different lighting, especially in early TNG), the DS9/VOY uniforms (colored shoulders) were teal and saw more consistent lighting in DS9 and VOY, rarely appearing blue.

This is not the way it is represented in this thread wich states that both colors existed alongside in both uniform styles.
Lt. Commander
# 53
04-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Blue, Teal ... I'll take 'em both!

I do like the idea of breaking out "Medical" from "Science".

This is all very useful, can we get on sticky on this, please?
Lt. Commander
# 54
04-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Just wanted to say thank you! I was working on something like this yesterday when I started to create a uniform for my crew. This guide just made this much easier, gonna start all over again now.
Lt. Commander
# 55
04-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthok View Post
This is not the way it is represented in this thread wich states that both colors existed alongside in both uniform styles.
The only time they did was very early, in the first couple seasons of TNG, when Science was blue and Medical was teal (though, I'm not sure if that wasn't just bad camera). From 2366 until 2371, Sciences was blue. After 2371, it turned to teal (or jungle green... whatever they want to call it), which was the color when the uniforms went through their overhaul in 2373.

Regardless to what was, though, the current color scheme shows Science and Medical both as blue. Even if someone's wearing the old uniforms, the color scheme would change to reflect Starfleet's current regulations.

... that is, if people weren't already running around in fuscia and neon green...
Lt. Commander
# 56
04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:

Regardless to what was, though, the current color scheme shows Science and Medical both as blue. Even if someone's wearing the old uniforms, the color scheme would change to reflect Starfleet's current regulations.
Which supports my argument: one common color for science and medical. It's been like that since about 2350. In canon, that is. And this is supposed to be about canon colors.
Lt. Commander
# 57
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:

... that is, if people weren't already running around in fuchsia and neon green...

Quote:
Which supports my argument: one common color for science and medical. It's been like that since about 2350. In canon, that is. And this is supposed to be about canon colors.
I don't think the color change was so much about regulations as it was about the particular Costume Director/Producer of whichever series at the time. I mean, there is no hard and fast rule about which colors are which and what is what as far as canon really goes. And they tend to keep switching things around mostly for aesthetic purposes. Whatever the reasons, I've simply given you my best guess as to what the colors were meant to designate. Use what you like, disregard the rest.

Lt. Commander
# 58
04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Which is good and all. However, as mentioned before, people run around in fuscia and neon green uniforms. So someone preferring to wear teal on their Science officer, over the 2410 standard blue, because they prefer a color scheme that they're used to seeing... I mean, can you honestly fault it?

Of course if you're just making the argument about the use of the phrase "Medical variant" in the colors section, hey, can understand that from the canon aspect.
Lt. Commander
# 59
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I have not said this yet, Blackavaar, but "Thank you!" This is a great gaming resource for STO. I have a copy printed out in color for reference. Love it! great job! Thanks for the hard work! ... and on and on and...
Lt. Commander
# 60
04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artorious-Jonah View Post
I have not said this yet, Blackavaar, but "Thank you!" This is a great gaming resource for STO. I have a copy printed out in color for reference. Love it! great job! Thanks for the hard work! ... and on and on and...
You're all very welcome. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it and finding it useful.