Lt. Commander
# 761
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
I and many others appreciate the hard work you've put into this Blackavaar, the time taken to test the colours in different scenario's and doing the screen caps etc.
STO is many things to many people, at the moment my Captain is in 2267, a few months down the line I may do the TNG era and your guide will be my first stop when I visit the Tailor. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 762
03-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Just watch the movie, you'll see. It's a brightly lit hallway and their collars are clearly black.
They are crewmen (or petty officers, you cannot see their rank insignia), so the collar of their uniform is always black. Here the color of the arm band and shoulder taps (which cannot be seen, because they wear the security armor first seen in TMP) is important. And this cannot be black, because in this case Flechter would have ignored his own notes.

Quote:
Well, those versions aren't available, are they? So, we have to make due with what we have. Stop being so nit-picky. If you don't like my choices don't use them. It's just a guide after all, a foundation on which you can build. Use what you like, dismiss the rest. It's not meant to be the end all be all of Trek canon. It can't be anyway with the limited color choices we have in-game.
You are right. But if you call this a Guide to Canon Colors, then the colors should be canon. And uniform pieces which do not exists (yet) like TMP security armor, TOS female dres uniform, TWOK enlisted/trainee uniform etc. should be ignored.

Quote:
Edit: And btw, the mission patches are unique to the individual and rank braids are never worn on Dress Uniforms.[/color]
Wrong. We only seen one officer below Lieutenant Commander (except the Lieutenant in "The Savage Curtain", but that can clearly been interpreted as costume error, becaus ehe wore the same uniform as Scotty) and that was Lt. Areel Shaw. She wore the female version of the Lieutenant Dress Uniform. And here you can see rank insignia and assignment patch (Starfleet). The same episode suggests that Ensign and/or crewmen do not have a dress uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 763
03-30-2011, 05:06 AM
May I say Blackavaar, your guide is super awesome and especially the last round of uniforms, cheers.

Oh, and for watching TMP multiple times, here is a cookie (that is just brutal).
Lt. Commander
# 764
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarossaRotbart
They are crewmen (or petty officers, you cannot see their rank insignia), so the collar of their uniform is always black. Here the color of the arm band and shoulder taps (which cannot be seen, because they wear the security armor first seen in TMP) is important. And this cannot be black, because in this case Flechter would have ignored his own notes.
Yeah, petty officers wearing Security armored vests? Okay. I am not going to argue this point any longer.

Quote:
You are right. But if you call this a Guide to Canon Colors, then the colors should be canon. And uniform pieces which do not exists (yet) like TMP security armor, TOS female dres uniform, TWOK enlisted/trainee uniform etc. should be ignored.
When the appropriate parts are added to the game I always do updates. When these parts are added it will be the same. Until then we have to make due with what we have. Feel free to ignore whatever you don't like. I will not because I know some players want something to use for those types of characters. So, I will do the best I can to mock-up whatever I can in order to represent them in the game.

The TOS Technician coveralls aren't in the game either. So, should I remove the mock-ups I did using the Enterprise uniforms? I think not.

Quote:
Wrong. We only seen one officer below Lieutenant Commander (except the Lieutenant in "The Savage Curtain", but that can clearly been interpreted as costume error, becaus ehe wore the same uniform as Scotty) and that was Lt. Areel Shaw. She wore the female version of the Lieutenant Dress Uniform. And here you can see rank insignia and assignment patch (Starfleet). The same episode suggests that Ensign and/or crewmen do not have a dress uniform.
Look, dude. I just watched the entirety of the TOS series over the last 6 days. Of the various episodes where Dress Uniforms appear only one of them, a female, wore rank braids. This leads me to believe that was specific to the female Dress Uniform, which again is currently unavailable. When it is added the guide will be updated appropriately.

And you're wrong. We also saw Lieutenant Dickerson in a Dress Uniform and it also had the gold piping down the front.

And you are right. Ensigns, crewmen and yeomen did not wear dress uniforms. The few that did dress up wore the Honor Guard uniforms, which were basically the standard Operations uniforms with the shirts tucked into a wide black belt.

Lt. Commander
# 765
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeck
I and many others appreciate the hard work you've put into this Blackavaar, the time taken to test the colours in different scenario's and doing the screen caps etc.
STO is many things to many people, at the moment my Captain is in 2267, a few months down the line I may do the TNG era and your guide will be my first stop when I visit the Tailor. Thanks
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
May I say Blackavaar, your guide is super awesome and especially the last round of uniforms, cheers.

Oh, and for watching TMP multiple times, here is a cookie (that is just brutal).
Oh, a cookie! Um num num num.

Thanks, William!

Lt. Commander
# 766
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Blackavaar -

First off, fantastic job on the color guides and graphics. Those are IMO, real community treasures. Keep up the excellent work.

I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? I'm looking to get as close to canon on the Defiant-class as I can, but I can never seem to really nail the Defiant's on screen look. I'm thinking it's probably just the way the game's customization system is designed, but I also figured I'd ask the master anyway. Thanks in advance for any input

-Corris
Lt. Commander
# 767
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
...I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? ...
Hiya Sprint01. I'll take the liberty and answer for Lord Blackavaar..

Yes, there is a ship guide, if you look in the OP under Special Sections you'll find the link to Canon Starship and Bridges Listings, linked here for your convenience. Enjoy!

Lord Blackavaar, I'm happy to see you've completed the TOS Guides. I'm at work and can't see the Photobuckets from here, but look forward to seeing/using them later. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 768
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari

Yes, there is a ship guide, if you look in the OP under Special Sections you'll find the link to Canon Starship and Bridges Listings, linked here for your convenience. Enjoy!

Lord Blackavaar, I'm happy to see you've completed the TOS Guides. I'm at work and can't see the Photobuckets from here, but look forward to seeing/using them later. Thank you!
Thank you. I noticed the Material 2 and windows 3. That wins. What about the actual textures for actual painting in starfleet grey/blue and red? That's the one I'm having the most trouble with currently.
Lt. Commander
# 769
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Blackavaar -

First off, fantastic job on the color guides and graphics. Those are IMO, real community treasures. Keep up the excellent work.

I was wondering, do you have any design guides for the ships themselves? I'm looking to get as close to canon on the Defiant-class as I can, but I can never seem to really nail the Defiant's on screen look. I'm thinking it's probably just the way the game's customization system is designed, but I also figured I'd ask the master anyway. Thanks in advance for any input

-Corris
Thank you!

Refer to Vetinari's answer for a link to the Ship Listings.

Unfortunately the pattern that appears on the Defiant in the series is not available in-game. I've tried myself to represent this using the Gemini and Leo patterns but it just doesn't look right. I generally just use the Corvus pattern in a medium gray instead, which is what I suggest for most ship designs.

Hopefully someday they'll add a few more patterns to our selection and we'll be able to make the Defiant look properly canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari

You're welcome, Vetinari. And thank you.

Lt. Commander
# 770
03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I have just updated the TOS section of the Badges guide with the following:

TOS Command
TOS Sciences
TOS Medical
TOS Operations

Dress Badge 1: Commodore Stone
Dress Badge 2: Captain Kirk
Dress Badge 3: Commander Spock
Dress Badge 4: Doctor McCoy
Dress Badge 5: Unknown

If anyone knows who wore Dress Badge 5 please let me know. I have not been able to pinpoint that one. It almost looks like Scotty's, but the right patch is the wrong color (should be blue) and the left patch should not be there.

Enjoy!