Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
MMOs are changing entities. I know, I've played them since EQ. And, yes, sometimes dev decisions that are unpopular just need to be made. At the same time...

PLEASE either reverse the Science console 50% nerf or, as that is probably unlikely, APPLY the nerf to all Science consoles.

Having people with +30 consoles simply because they ended up at RA5 earlier, knew about the nerf and hoarded +30 consoles, or just plain got lucky really stinks. It creates a caste-system for science players (those geared pre and post nerf), and does little to address the overall goal of greater in-game balance.

The economy on the Exchange was already a bit odd, to say the least, and this really just has taken things to a whole new inflationary level. Pre-nerf science consoles for 55 million ECs or more? You've got to be kidding.

Not to mention the change seems to be so unfathomably wrongheaded as to boggle the imagination.

As a lifer who took his time leveling and enjoyed the scenery (such as it has been), doing so science/science, this console situation has been enough to get me really frustrated...it's just such a buggy decision that it would be really great to get a dev response and action on this soon.

For those who agree, I strongly suggest you make your voices heard.

/signed

-Xak
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
They should ''fix'' the overpowered abilities and put the consoles back to their old value...
This nerf made very overpowered ablities overpowered, and okay abilitys suck.
And the fact that people can keep the stronger ones but new people can only get the suckish ones is even more stupid.

(Edit: No i still have the strong ones -.- )
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
They actually did make the decision to keep the existing consoles while changing all new ones. It's not an accident or a bug.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...08#post2523308
(scroll down or search for "grandfather")

Changing at this point would require overturning an actual decision, not just correcting an oversight.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I came across dstahl's post after making mine, having been willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt on the issue.

However, it does not change my position nor the topic of this thread. The decision is a poor one that should be changed. Having 'grandfathered' items creates a two-tiered system for those of us who play science ships, regardless of whether or not we have the consoles (I have a few) or don't.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
This nerf was idiotic anyways. Most science powers are total weaksauce compared to cannons + tactical powers, I mean we're not even talking the same number of digits for damage, with one being in the low hundreds and the other in the low thousands.

I don't know why Cryptic thought science powers needed a nerf, thei're acctually one of the most underpowered things in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
What I would really like to know is what the rationale was behind alowing those people with exsisting consoles to for all time to be better than those without
?

It says that it was a descion made high up but by who and what was the reasoning behind it ?

Benefits :

Disadavntages :
no future progression for those that have them . (when level cap is improved you will still be using your old consels until about mark 20 )
No equal footing for those that dont .
your average mmporpg player likes to be treated fairly and given a chance to achieve the same as everyone else .
A lot of klingons will be second charachters , so people now working on klingon alts will be losing out on their alts .
Rediculouse inflation prices on white mk 10s

Please can someone give me some benefits to balance the see saw ?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Please can someone give me some benefits to balance the see saw ?
People don't get upset because their main got nerfed. Especially some guy with a blue Mk X or who spent a ton on a purple Mk anything.

Most likely, they felt they needed to make this change, but that isn't a big enough balance issue to necessitate changing all the ones people had.

*shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2010, 02:59 AM
grandfathered items are always stupid, and I say that with 2 chars that have grandfathered consoles, so I shouldn't really care at all.

Sometimes I think jackalope was all "nooo! ****! don't nerf my consoles *******s!" and voted to grandfathering himself (it was a top-level decision as dstahl mentioned it )
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2010, 03:22 AM
oi, they did this in Champions as well, the items u can create was apparently OP and the vendor sell return was high, so it was nerfed, but players who had items before the nerf, had their crafted items "g'fathered" so pvp in that game was off balance even w/ cookie cutter build. Eventually things sorted itself out, as the release (1,3,6 mos) subscribers started to diminish. Players were making other toons, so those "old" crafted items faded away.

IMO Champions still a good MMO, what MMO out there lets u create a Nemesis. Full Customization too. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roter_Panda
grandfathered items are always stupid, and I say that with 2 chars that have grandfathered consoles, so I shouldn't really care at all.
Same here. I actually have three characters with consoles as good as or better than current Mk X greens, but only one has mk X's. Mk VIII and mk... either IV or VI on the others.