Lt. Commander
Has else tried STO with a GTX 480 yet? I just upgraded from a 280 and I am noticing lower framerates (sometimes on the order of 20% less) and some nasty stuttering (especially running around Spacedock) that I did not have before.

I understand new cards may have some glitches with existing games that will be ironed out via new drivers or game patches, I just wanted to see if anyone else was noticing the same thing to make sure it's not anything on my end.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Hmmm, tell ya what, try turning you DYNAMIC LIGHTING option off. A lot of ATI card users with the newer 5xxx cards are experiencing this same problem, myself included. Turning off DL has fixed it for us. I'm not 100% sure but if you could try it and let us know the results. If it doesn't affect you then sorry, I have no clue

If this does solve your problem, re-post. It would be interesting to see if the issue is on new nvidia cards as well
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Just tried that, didn't make a bit of difference. Thanks for the advice. Going to try tinkering with settings one by one and seeing if one is the culprit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Slight pity, I was hoping for either the fermis to beat the 5970s or at the very least drive the prices down, seems it did neither.

As for stuttering, my friend has had some somewhere around release time, mainly some shadow issues and lightning. Though course that's degrading your quality when you probably shouldn't be required to. Probably only suggestion I can give is reinstall the driver even if the previous card was an nvidia card if you haven't already, there are occasionally issues that arise.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I'll give a driver cleaner a shot. Haven't had 'dirty driver' issues in several years though but it's definately worth trying.

And I think you'll see your price drop in a month or so, once the availability improves on the 480. It shouldn't be expected to beat the 5970 though, as that's a dual-GPU card from the same 'generation', and effectively is an Xfire setup (bringing along all the fun compatbility and random performance that comes with SLI/Xfire). The 5870 is the closest comparison to the 480, which it beats in most tests, just not by a wide margin like it should have probably been. Nvidia dropped the ball on these cards, and personally, I was expecting to get a 5870 after all the early rumors...but the 480 ended up being cheaper and performing a little better than the rumors, so I wen't with it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a 480 since the 9th and have had no issues in game with everything maxed out.
Lt. Commander
One one machine with ATi I have no problem, on another with a 260m it stutters like mad. It's just crazy that there is no sticky on this problem since it is so widespread and no fix from anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Game Crash
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I haven't had stuttering issues, but I crash to desktop once about every 15 min. I just build my computer from the ground up with a new GTX 480, so I can't rule that as the only culprit. Age of Conan does the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my system somewhere. There is just too many possibilities STO and *** still works fine on my old machine though...
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Upgraded my GTX 280 to a GTX 470(free!)
And i am also having problems with serious performance drops when playing STO, especially in fleet actions and PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_M
I haven't had stuttering issues, but I crash to desktop once about every 15 min. I just build my computer from the ground up with a new GTX 480, so I can't rule that as the only culprit. Age of Conan does the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my system somewhere. There is just too many possibilities STO and *** still works fine on my old machine though...
Try Doing a Mem test on you ram or test with Prime 95 If you encounter rounding errors great possibility it is your Ram