Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
cant fly DOWN in Phi system (in orias sector in zeta)

the system has a wierd canter to it, and since you cant fly in 360 degrees, if you point youship all the way down it's only level with the planetary rings and the path of the asteroids you have to scan.. but since there's jem'hadar ships guarding them if you fly up, then the only way to get back down is to face the other direction, and then fly down, turn around and then fly level back the original direction again.

either orientate the flight axis with the level axis OR give us 360 flight
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhey View Post
cant fly DOWN in Phi system (in orias sector in zeta)

the system has a wierd canter to it, and since you cant fly in 360 degrees, if you point youship all the way down it's only level with the planetary rings and the path of the asteroids you have to scan.. but since there's jem'hadar ships guarding them if you fly up, then the only way to get back down is to face the other direction, and then fly down, turn around and then fly level back the original direction again.

either orientate the flight axis with the level axis OR give us 360 flight

Uhm, there are a handful of missions that require a little creative maneuvering, and you make a fuss over it?

Simply descend or ascend to a point that is relatively on an equal level to your target without flying into weapons range.
Level out your ship, close in, attack and defeat your enemies and proceed to scan your objective.

True free 360 movement is not required for this, though I have to agree that the few missions that feature such steep approach angles can be a bit uncomfortable.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2010, 10:33 AM
edit, clear by me the poster.. settled squable like civilized adults
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I apologize if I was rude to you.

However, I would like to point out that my recommendation for flight maneuvers still stands. Besides, I did agree with you on the idea that true free movement would be helpful in such missions.

Edit: "get a life" isn't very polite either, is it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
The 360 degree flight is a good suggestion. Flight sims have had this for years. For this title not to have it is regression. As I am not famliiar with the game engine code regarding flight, I cannot make any real suggestions, other then they should be working on this issue as it will have to be fixed before they are done.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealVermatrix View Post
The 360 degree flight is a good suggestion. Flight sims have had this for years. For this title not to have it is regression. As I am not famliiar with the game engine code regarding flight, I cannot make any real suggestions, other then they should be working on this issue as it will have to be fixed before they are done.
There were very extensive discussions on 360 degree/flight simulation-style flight, all throughout beta. It was carefully (and vocally) considered both on the forums and internally. Many pros and cons were weighed, including the level of immersion, the accessibility of a game with 360 degree flight, and how "Star Trek" such flight would be.

While I do not have the precise arguments for and against, and this is not the place to rehash them, the short version is that this is not something we'll be implementing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Litana
There were very extensive discussions on 360 degree/flight simulation-style flight, all throughout beta. It was carefully (and vocally) considered both on the forums and internally. Many pros and cons were weighed, including the level of immersion, the accessibility of a game with 360 degree flight, and how "Star Trek" such flight would be.

While I do not have the precise arguments for and against, and this is not the place to rehash them, the short version is that this is not something we'll be implementing.
I can appreciate that, but knowing that, you shouldn't have put anomalies in places that are are a huge pain in the impulse engine to get to without vertical travel.

Now that the decision has been made not to implement it, lets fix the problems that keep people asking for 360 flight. If people weren't forced to circle endlessly to get to an anomaly, they wouldn't be complaining on the boards about it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:

If you not going to give us 360 degree then what about +- 90 degrees so we can atleast fly down? or if not that then will you fix the missions like the one the OP is talking about? its like you built the mission with 360 degree flight in mind but because we will never have it, it makes the mission a total pain.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
No surprise that you won't do 360 flight. Let me guess, the engine can't support it because it was designed with terrestrial limits in mind (gravity and a "floor")?
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:

I don't understand how you guys are so open to make such massive design changes as you are doing with Klingon content, diplomacy, etc. and you refuse to consider (or, rehash, as you put it) our requests for this. Or to even let us test it on Tribble.

A bit of an inconsistency I'd say.

-Forjo