Lt. Commander
Ship interiors are quite possibly one of the most anticipated upcoming features, for me, it's the "Walking-in-Stations" of EVE for STO. The game will be perfect once it gets added, but only if it's done right.

So lets try to help Cryptic and tell them exactly what we would like to see and give them ideas.

I think the first and most important thing is no loading screens at all on your ship interior.
Once we enter the bridge, I don't wanna see another loading screen at all on my ship. it'll be really disappointing if there is.

Let's start with Bridges:
  • My bridge has about 30 seats on it, and only 8 bridge members on the bridge. Fill up EVERY seat with Crewmen/Ensigns/Liutenants.
  • Have random crewmen standing around looking at screens, pressing buttons on consoles, walking from station to station doing "busy-work" as it were.
  • Have random crew enter the bridge via the turbolift and swap shifts with other crew, this would happen rarely since shifts would be like every 12 hours or so, so you won't see it happening every 5 minutes.
  • Have random crew enter the bridge holding a PADD, walk up to a station and hand the NPC on the station the PADD, essentially delivering a report to them, and then leaving.
  • VIewscreens need to be LARGE. Most bridges, especially the large one I am talking about here, have tiny viewscreens.
  • Let us pick which station our BO's occupy, who I want sitting next to me (first officer + one other, etc) who takes the conn, who is at tactical, etc.

Now, corridoors:
  • Pretty simple, don't make them HUGE like I know you want to, Cryptic, give us proper scaled corridoors like from the shows and games like Elite Force.
  • Have random crewmen strolling down the hallways and going into their quarters/different rooms.
  • You could have random crewmen standing around chatting maybe.
  • A random engineer crouched down with an Isolinear Spanner and his toolkit repairing a fused plasma conduit that ruptured during the last battle, with the panel off the wall beside him etc.
  • Doors, they need to be proper sliding doors with the whsss noise and everything. Goes without saying.
Engineering:
  • Minigames Minigames Minigames. We can't say it enough. Minigames that will provide temporary buffs to our ships. The actual minigame puzzles are for another topic entirely, see here. but for examples on what you would be "doing" in those minigames, and how they would reward you, well, see here:
  • Tweaking the injector assembly or changing the intermix ratio of matter/antimatter in order to get more out of our engines, will provide a 5-10% speed buff for 3 hours.
  • Rerouting power flow so it's more efficient to get power to the weapons faster or some other technobabble like that to improve our damage 5% for 3 hours or something like that.
  • Some sort of minigame which will allow us to repair "damage" from the new death penalty system on our ships.
  • Obviously in engineering i'd expect to see my chief engineer (one of my engineering BO's that I can "designate" my chief engineer, down there. aswell as other engineers running around doing busy work on consoles etc, perhaps handing PADDs with reports to the chief, etc.

Sickbay:
  • Firstly, we should be able to treat our, and our BO's injuries from the new Death Penalty system in here. Once this gets added, I hope they remove the items so we HAVE to come here to do it, otherwise, why bother with it?
  • I wanna see random officers in here with plasma burns and other such injuries from the last battle I had being treated lying on beds etc, perhaps even with those scanning cranes over them etc.
  • Ability to stock up on Hypo Sprays in here. And once you add that, remove them from the "general ship replicator". So we have another reason to visit sickbay.
  • Perhaps the ability to install an EMH, which will cost merits/energy credits and provide a ship-wide buff to crew regeneration while in ship combat? Just an idea. Can't really think of much else for sickbay right now so if you have any ideas get posting them!

Miscellaneous:
  • Holodecks! Holodeck features have been discussed to death so i'm not going to post any here because i'm sure the devs have enough ideas already.
  • Cargo bay(s).
  • Shuttle bay(s). Opens up options for shuttle-missions. Perhaps there could be planets where we can not beam down, so we have to enter our ship interior view and take our BO's to the shuttle bay, enter the shuttle, fly it down to the planet and then when we land our shuttle is there next to us, and to return we use the shuttle to get back. Immersion Immersion Immersion.
  • Crew quarters for your whole bridge crew! Let us customize not only our characters quarters, but our BO's too, we could have klingon nik-naks like bat'leths, weapons etc hanging in our klingon BO's room, for example.
  • Ready room, long table, chairs, the usual stuff.
  • Captains ready room, cabinet where you can put ship models, trophies, artifacts etc.
  • Your own room, same as above, customization, placing things where you want it, models, statues etc.

to reiterate because I really want the developers to see this and take note:

THE most important thing about ship interiors is the need to have them seamless, and WITHOUT ANY LOADING SCREENS!

once I beam to my bridge, I want to be able to walk around my ship without a SINGLE other loading screen getting in my face.

Cryptic this is VITAL. the game already feels like a series of boxed rooms linked together with magic doors, I want a SEAMLESS ship without loading screens everywhere I go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
And I'm sure you will be disappointed when your uninstanced ship's layout is not in the layout of the actual ship. Right?

I will bet you 100,000 credits they will do ship interiors the same way they do Earth Starbase's interiors when you go to Quinn's office, the club 47 lounge, and the shipyard's upper level.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
And I'm sure you will be disappointed when your uninstanced ship's layout is not in the layout of the actual ship. Right?

I will bet you 100,000 credits they will do ship interiors the same way they do Earth Starbase's interiors when you go to Quinn's office, the club 47 lounge, and the shipyard's upper level.
I could care less if the layout matches how it's supposed to be according to some crazy schematics, actually. although, it would be pretty dumb if you exit the bridge, go down a 10 foot cooridoor and enter engineering.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Ship interiors are coming sooner or later (probably later) I would just like to say that I really hope we get proper sliding doors and are able to wander around our ships without a *single* loading screen. once we enter the bridge, I don't wanna see another loading screen at all on my ship. it'll be really disappointing if there is, FYI, Cryptic
I fear that if they tried to make ship interiors without loading screens, we'd end up with all ships looking like that PvP map that uses the GIGANTOR Sovereign Bridge, where it's all essentially one deck with just ramps sloping up and down to different levels between the bridge, transporter room, and engineering.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Ship interiors are coming sooner or later (probably later) I would just like to say that I really hope we get proper sliding doors and are able to wander around our ships without a *single* loading screen. once we enter the bridge, I don't wanna see another loading screen at all on my ship. it'll be really disappointing if there is, FYI, Cryptic
You're not going to like it then I'd wager.

There are quite a few maps and missions in this game already that take place on ships. Inside them.

You should get a sense that your ship will be a lot like them.

I say look to the Tutorial for the easiest to find example. That's what it will be like. And there are loading screens.

The only other option is for it to be a map, like one of the PVP ground mission maps. Which is basically a 10 foot corridor to main engineering.

You are currently facing two options which you don't seem to like. They might surprise me and do something different. But I doubt it. There's certain constraints even the best developers still have to contend with.

I'll take what I get from them, and see how I can make it work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
There's certain constraints even the best developers still have to contend with.
like what?

anyway, you seem to assume that they aren't going to at least give us proper interiors *at all*. I really doubt we're going to get those gigantic cooridoors that giants can walk down as our interiors, they've already made the doors on the bridges closer to a normal size.

anyway, this is pretty much what i'm hoping for:.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxTWGfflUQ#t=1m40s
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
like what?
The maps they have in-game already could allow them to make a version of ship interiors and get it live sometime this year. And not have to hire new people. And not have to spend any money on overtime. And come in under budget. While still maintaining two separate games (Champions and this) and developing the third game they are currently developing.

OR ... they could try to do your idea, which would be a different interior, using brand new maps, with less cannibalized things from previous work, and new artists, new art design, new things that have to be OK'd by CBS-Paramount ... as well as probably going over budget and spending money on overtime.

Guess which one they're going to pick?

Quote:
anyway, you seem to assume that they aren't going to at least give us proper interiors *at all*.
I think you'll get the very best that they can give you. But that they face more obstacles and constraints on their design time than you really are considering.

Quote:
I really doubt we're going to get those gigantic cooridoors that giants can walk down as our interiors, they've already made the doors on the bridges closer to a normal size.
Next time you're on your bridge ... take a good long look at the chairs your crew are sitting in. Well the ones that do actually sit.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
I thought we discussed this - spending time in elevators loading was the worst part of Mass Effect. Seriously, playing an animated loading screen with a wireframe view (like in Mass Effect 2) would be awesome.

Anyways, using that video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxTWGfflUQ#t=1m40s

Players could always have a custom loadscreen with transport door of their choice (with authentic sounds) then appear in the next map (no "beaming"). Would that work?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The maps they have in-game already could allow them to make a version of ship interiors and get it live sometime this year. And not have to hire new people. And not have to spend any money on overtime. And come in under budget. While still maintaining two separate games (Champions and this) and developing the third game they are currently developing.

OR ... they could try to do your idea, which would be a different interior, using brand new maps, with less cannibalized things from previous work, and new artists, new art design, new things that have to be OK'd by CBS-Paramount ... as well as probably going over budget and spending money on overtime.

Guess which one they're going to pick?

I think you'll get the very best that they can give you. But that they face more obstacles and constraints on their design time than you really are considering.

Next time you're on your bridge ... take a good long look at the chairs your crew are sitting in. Well the ones that do actually sit.
wow. how low down do you even think ship interiors are on their list? it's a pretty big feature, you know? they only added these crappy bridges in at the last minute because people REALLY wanted them. hire new people just to make the interiors? what? why can't they do that themselves?*

(*rhetorical questions)

all they need to do is make a map and create rooms and cooridoors in it, have it multi-levelled so you can hop in a turbolift and go up/down to another "level" in the ship.

I guess if you have never done any mapping for games it can be hard to imagine how it would be done, but I can tell you they won't need to hire new people for it, that's for sure. i'm hoping they start working on these for season 3 or 4 though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
wow. how low down do you even think ship interiors are on their list? it's a pretty big feature, you know? they only added these crappy bridges in at the last minute because people REALLY wanted them. hire new people just to make the interiors? what? why can't they do that themselves?*

(*rhetorical questions)

all they need to do is make a map and create rooms and cooridoors in it, have it multi-levelled so you can hop in a turbolift and go up/down to another "level" in the ship.

I guess if you have never done any mapping for games it can be hard to imagine how it would be done, but I can tell you they won't need to hire new people for it, that's for sure. i'm hoping they start working on these for season 3 or 4 though.
Here, instead of arguing with me, read what the devs have to say on the matter:

dstahl engineering reporter extraordinaire discusses classic bridge pack and ship interiors

Specifically:

Quote:
You are not going to see a big difference between our current Federation ship interiors and player ship interiors since they use the same geometery kit pieces. The reason for the current kit sizes have been discussed ad nauseum and we do not have the resources in the short term to make an entirely different kit for interiors (which was my point to begin with).

Maybe someday down the road when we have a lot of time to make one off non-combat interiors we can do this - but for now we plan to have missions on interiors and so the hallway sizes are not going to change in the short term.
He even mentions hallway sizes!

Take your crusade up with dstahl and tilt at that windmill. The borg have a few choice words for the outcome of your endeavor.