Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Just like the title asks, when will Windows Media Player arrive? I know this has been asked alot, but I want to ask this as well. Many computers I have seen as well as the computer I am using, uses Windows Media Player. I just want to hear from the Devs on this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2010, 05:41 AM
You use WMP? lol...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
You use WMP? lol...
WMP 12 in Windows 7 with the Shark007 Codec pack makes all the other players on the market look like kindergarten toys. The only other player I have is Quicktime, however only for their browser plug in. It is needed to view movie trailers online at the Apple site.

Other than that WMP covers it all with great functionality.. it is much improved over WMP 9 or 10 from XP and even better than WMP 11 in Vista. Especially the 64 bit version of WMP 12.

I agree with OP.. WMP needs to be supported.. this way I can throw a Star Trek movie in 1080i from a HD .MKV file up and play it in a window in the corner of my screen.. I do that anyways, but it would be nice to launch WMP from in game and not have to Alt+Tab or launch WMP before launcing game.

so, LOL.. You're not using WMP? LOL
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
You use WMP? lol...
LOL So you use some 3rd party, badly written code that leaves ports open on your system for intrusion? You still think that you'll get a 'better' sound from these 3rd party programs?

I bet you also think Linux is virus free to!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2010, 06:53 AM
WMP is great - Zune Media Player is better.

But yes, would definitely like WMP added as an option!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I bet it has to do with dealing with Microsoft's legal department for licensing the use of WMP.

if it's anything like getting an mmo to console platform.... I bet it wont be implemented any time soon.

Lt. Commander
# 7
04-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
I bet it has to do with dealing with Microsoft's legal department for licensing the use of WMP.

if it's anything like getting an mmo to console platform.... I bet it wont be implemented any time soon.

You don't need a License to create a WMP plug-in. Look it up. there are hundreds of fan created Plug-ins available all over the place, many of which are hosted on the Windows WMP site.

They even have the SDK available to create plug-ins..

So it isn't a matter of Licensing (is STO licensed through Microsoft? I think not, but it works on Windows).. it is just a matter of someone taking a bit of time to build a plug in for WMP.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-18-2010, 07:22 AM
What drugs are you on?

Dear devs,

When is Counter Strike going to be available through Star Trek Online? I like it a lot and many other people 2!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abohac View Post
What drugs are you on?

Dear devs,

When is Counter Strike going to be available through Star Trek Online? I like it a lot and many other people 2!
Um, guess you don't look at the controls in the game much do you?

there are plug-ins for ITunes and WinAmp.. WMP is a given since it si proprietary to the OS the game is running on.. WMP should have been the first plug in done in STO with ITunes and WinAmp done as after thoughts.

If Cryptic is going to give Plug-in options for Media players, WMP being one of the best on the market (with added codec packs, K-Lite for XP, Shark007 for Vista / Win7), should have been first in line.. it is already built into windows. iTunes, and Win-Amp are 3rd party applications that are not native to Windows (which also leaves systems exposed to net attacks through open ports), yet they have in game plug-ins..

I just find it odd that WMP, which comes on every OS except Enterprise Edition, wasn't the first in line for an STO Plug-in.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abohac View Post
What drugs are you on?

Dear devs,

If you're going to mock someone for something he said, it pays to have at least a poor grasp of what he said.