Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM
When I find a week to grok their API docs. Controlling an existing WMP player instance remotely is surprisingly difficult and involves at least 4 different COM objects and a lot of crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Search the Dev Tracker, it's been answered a couple different times. If I remember right it has to do with WMP not providing an API to call for that functionality.. same reason that WoW has an iTunes controller (on Macs only-so at least windows users get it as well in STO) in game, but no WMP controller.

edit.... or, just ignore me since Coderanger jumped in and answered.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-18-2010, 09:53 AM
You can just mute the in-game music and run any media player in the background.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
WMP 12 in Windows 7 with the Shark007 Codec pack makes all the other players on the market look like kindergarten toys. The only other player I have is Quicktime, however only for their browser plug in. It is needed to view movie trailers online at the Apple site.

Other than that WMP covers it all with great functionality.. it is much improved over WMP 9 or 10 from XP and even better than WMP 11 in Vista. Especially the 64 bit version of WMP 12.

I agree with OP.. WMP needs to be supported.. this way I can throw a Star Trek movie in 1080i from a HD .MKV file up and play it in a window in the corner of my screen.. I do that anyways, but it would be nice to launch WMP from in game and not have to Alt+Tab or launch WMP before launcing game.

so, LOL.. You're not using WMP? LOL

How does WMP 12 make other players look like kindergarten toys? please explain...

Or are you just talking out of your aft port?

I use media player classic, which outperforms anything the newer WMP can do, I can play any video or movie I need, I don't need MS spying on my through their media player.

WMP is a huge complicated pile...
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMax
Just like the title asks, when will Windows Media Player arrive? I know this has been asked alot, but I want to ask this as well. Many computers I have seen as well as the computer I am using, uses Windows Media Player. I just want to hear from the Devs on this.
Windows Media Player is over bloated - use WINAMP - less memoery usage and a smaller foot print on the CPU.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Smaller footprint? I've got a quad-core. I can run WMP and a bunch of other things simultaneously. If I need to use another media player just to use less memory and CPU, then I have other things to worry about besides lack of WMP control.

I'm not jumping on the "oh, WMP is soooo great" bandwagon. But I tried switching to Winamp some time ago because I heard it was just soooo good, apparently. Frankly, I just got used to WMP and ditched Winamp all together. Does everything I need, and it has all the nifty features I could ever want. Managing playlists is painless. And the only super-mega-ultra-awesome features I really use are the auto-normalize and auto-crossfader.

I found it a tad disappointing that STO didn't innately support WMP, since that's what everyone has by default. And I'm not going to install a third-party player just to have remote control in STO. In fact, my keyboard has media control. And I have all of my playlists dedicated to special hotkeys that start playing with one press of a button. So for now, I'm good.

Although I may reconsider the STO control if they ever allow us to tag playlists to in-game events (eg, explore, sector space, combat, etc). Then that'll be worth the hassle.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Well, I mostly use Zune now (and occassionally iTunes for my older DRMed iTunes songs). It would be nice if Zune was supported.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
I used Winamp for three years but I had to stop. For some reason it had becoming increasingly unstable for me and would keep on crashing, most frequently when adding in a playlist (and I did not have an unreasonable amount either I assure you). It even BSOD'ed me in Windows 7 twice. I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Which is a shame because when it worked it was very easy to edit or update playlists. Certainly the easiest I've seen anywhere so far.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I use the graphic equalizer on windows media player with customized settings and my tunes sound epic.

The thing is wmp is a great deal more memory and cpu intensive than winamp and in some cases delivers poorer playback quality.

I actually find winamp very easy too use as well. It gets even easier if the playlist is saved too a cue file.

Double click and up comes the entire playlist with no muss of fuss or any searching really.

To the poster above me:

Winamp is having some issues with windows 7 their trying too iron out atm. Afaik it has something too do with how microsoft changed the driver coding for windows 7.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback Coderanger. Is it possible you can comment on the possibility of using an in-game music player (with which we would browse our file system and/or specify a directory of MP3 files) rather than an outside player? I only ask because it'd make it easier than to keep alt+tabbing in and out to change and manage song and playlists. It's probably not as easy as it sounds, and that's ok if that's the case. Thanks for giving us the time on the weekend.